Dr. Ming-Jun Gao
Supervise, coordinate and perform research project on plant biotechnology.
Current research and/or projects
Developmental and genetic control of seed development, maturation, seed filling, seed dormancy and seed-to-seedling phase transition.
Regulation and manipulation of plant metabolism to improve crop quality and productivity.
Research and/or project statements
- Control of seed maturation, seed filling, seed dormancy and germination of oilseed crops. Published several papers in journals such as Nature Communications and Plant Cell.
- Transcription factors as tools for the control of abiotic stress tolerance. Published US patents and several papers in journals such as Plant Journal and Plant Molecular Biology.
- Metabolic engineering of oilseeds for increased seed size and seed yield.
Professional activities / interests
Reviewed research grant applications for the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
Reviewed research grant applications for the National Science Foundation (NSF)
Associate Editor, Plant Signaling & Behavior.
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Northeast Normal University, China
M.Sc. in Plant Genetics, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
1. Liu GF, Liu JJ, He ZR, Wang FM, Yang H, Yan YF, Gao M-J, Gruber MY, Wan XC, Wei S (2018) Implementation of CsLIS/NES in linalool biosynthesis involves transcript splicing regulation in Camellia sinensis. Plant Cell & Environment. 41: 176-186.
2. Liu GF, Han ZX, Feng L, Gao LP, Gao M-J, Gruber MY, Zhang ZL, Xia T, Wan XC, Wei S (2017) Metabolic flux redirection and transcriptomic reprogramming in the albino tea cultivar 'Yu-Jin-Xiang' with an emphasis on catechin production. Scientific Report. 7: 45062.
3. Gao M-J, Li X, Huang A, Gropp GM, Gjetvaj B, Lindsay DL, Wei S, Coutu C, Chen Z, Wan XC, Hannoufa A, Gruber MY, and Lydiate DJ, Chen ZJ and Hegedus DD (2015) SCARECROW-LIKE15 interacts with HISTONE DEACETYLASE19 and is essential for repressing the seed maturation program. Nature Communications. 6: 7243.
4. Feng L, Gao M-J, Hou RY, Hu XY, Zhang L, Wan XC and Wei S (2014) Determination of quality constituents in the young leaves of albino tea cultivars. Food Chemistry. 155:98-104.
5. Wei S, Gruber MY, Yu B, Gao M-J, Khachatourians GG, Hegedus DD, Parkin IA, Hannoufa A. (2012) Arabidopsis mutant sk156 reveals complex regulation of SPL15 in a miR156-controlled gene network. BMC Plant Biology. 12:169.
6. Li X, Gruber MY, Hegedus DD, Lydiate DJ and Gao M-J (2011) Effects of a coumarin derivative, 4-methylumbelliferone, on seed germination and seedling establishment in Arabidopsis. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 37: 880-890.
7. Li X, Qin JC, Wang QY, Wu X, Lang CY, Pan HY, Gruber MY and Gao M-J (2011) Metabolic engineering of isoflavone genistein in Brassica napus with soybean isoflavone synthase. Plant Cell Reports. 30:1435-1442.
8. Gao M-J, Lydiate DJ, Li X, Lui H, Gjetvaj B, Hegedus DD and Rozwadowski K (2009) Repression of seed maturation genes by a trihelix transcriptional repressor in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Cell. 21: 54-71.
9. Gao M-J, Hegedus DD, Sharp AG, Robinson SJ, Lydiate DJ and Hannoufa A (2007) Isolation and characterization of a GCN5-interacting protein from Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta. 225: 1367-1379.
10. Gao M-J, Parkin IAP, Lydiate DJ and Hannoufa A (2004) An auxin-responsive SCARECROW-like transcriptional activactor interacts with histone deacetylase. Plant Molecular Biology. 55: 417-431.
11. Gao M-J, Schäfer UA, Parkin IAP, Hegedus DD, Lydiate DJ and Hannoufa A (2003) A novel protein from Brassica napus has a putative KID domain and responds to low temperature. Plant Journal. 33: 1073-1086.
12. Gao M-J, Allard G, Byass L, Flanagan AM and Singh J (2002) Regulation and characterization of four CBF transcription factors from Brassica napus. Plant Molecular Biology. 49: 459-471.