Current research and/or projects
- Co-investigator on a research project looking at the fertilization ecology of the giant scallop, Placopecten magellanicus: This project initiated research to investigate the role of depensatory effects in the population dynamics of scallop at low population densities and to examine the reproductive benefits of fishing closures as a management strategy.
- Studying the effect of herring bait on lobster productivity in the Gulf of Maine
- Examining predation occurrence of cod on lobsters in the Gulf of Maine
- Assessing the reproductive dynamics of sea urchins population in mid-coast Maine via fertilization assays
Research and/or project statements
Julien has a vast background on the ecology of commercial marine species such as lobster, urchin, scallop and cod. Julien’s first experience as a marine biologist started in 1995 when he was assisting graduate students in their field work in Havre-St-Pierre, Québec. Since 1999, most of Julien’s work has occurred in the Gulf of Maine. He worked for several years at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute as a research associate for the benthic lab group and at Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences with Dr. Rick Wahle. Currently, Julien is responsible of various stock assessment programs for the American lobster (Homarus americanus), the green sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis), and crabs (Cancer irroratus and Cancer borealis) in the Bay of Fundy region. Currently, Julien is part of a large research network studying lobster population connectivity and he is also working collaboratively with colleagues in Maine, DFO, and UNB Saint John to maintain an annual lobster settlement index for the Gulf of Maine region.
Education and awards
- M. Sc. in Biology (2004)
Université Laval, Québec
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences, Maine
- Advanced Diploma in Aquaculture (2001)
Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland
- B. Sc in Biology (1997)
Université Laval, Québec
Grabowski J.H., E.J. Clesceri, A. Baukus, J. Gaudette, M. Weber, and P.O. Yund (2010) Use of herring bait to farm lobsters in the Gulf of Maine. Proceedings of the Library of Science One 5: e10188. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0010188
Lawton P., R.S. Singh, M.B. Strong, L.E. Burridge, and J. Gaudette (2009) Coastal habitat occupancy by lobsters, Homarus americanus, in relation to dredge spoil disposal in the approaches to Saint John Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; 2844.
Grabowski J.H., J. Gaudette, E.J. Clesceri, and P.O. Yund (2009) The role of food limitation in lobster population dynamics in coastal Maine, United States, and New Brunswick, Canada. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43: 185-193.
Grabowski J. H., J. Gaudette, P. Wells, and V. Balzano (2007) Identifying habitat associations of early juvenile cod in nearshore Gulf of Maine waters. Final Report. National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Northeast Region Office (NERO), Cooperative Research Partners Initiative (CRPI).
Grabowski J.H., J. Gaudette, G. Sherwood, S. Sherman, G. Whipplehauser, and J. Kelley. Identifying habitat associations of early juvenile cod in nearshore Gulf of Maine waters. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences (in review)
Gaudette J., R.A. Wahle, and J.H. Himmelman (2006) Spawning events in small and large populations of green sea urchinsStrongylocentrotus droebachiensis as recorded using fertilization assays. Limnology and Oceanography 53:1485-1496
Wahle R.A. and J. Gaudette (2004) Sea Urchin Conservation Areas in Maine: population trends and reproductive performance. Final Report, Maine Department of Marine Resources.
- Biologist – Department of Fisheries Canada (2008-2009)
- Research Associate with the Benthic Ecology Lab – Gulf of Maine Research Institute, Maine (2004-2008)
- Internship and Graduate Research Assistantship in Marine Ecology at Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences (1999, 2002-2003)
- Dive/Technician in Scallop Aquaculture – Pec-Nord (2001)
- Summer Field Assistant in Marine Biology – Université Laval (1995-1997)
- Fishing Observer for the Snow Crab Fishery in the Gulf of St-Lawrence (1998)