St. Andrews Biological Station
The St. Andrews Biological Station, founded in 1908, is Atlantic Canada’s oldest permanent marine research facility. Located on the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay, New Brunswick in the Bay of Fundy, it is one of Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s network of 18 research centres in Canada.
Facilities at the St. Andrews Biological Station include 1250 square metres of state of the art dry laboratories; 2900 square metres of fresh and saltwater wet laboratories including 18 photoperiod (daylight length) controlled laboratories; a biocontainment facility to conduct disease and pathogen research on live fish species; a wharf; an 18.5 metre research vessel and numerous small research vessels.
The Biological Station also houses an extensive research collection of over 140,000 specimens of aquatic animals from Atlantic Canada.
Areas of Research
Station scientists conduct ecosystem science in support of Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s mandate to manage, regulate and support human activities in Canadian waters. Scientific studies focus on the Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine as well as the coastal ecosystems of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Biological Station employees are responsible for regional, national and international stock assessments for groundfish, herring, Bluefin tuna, swordfish and other fisheries. A large portion of the facility’s research is conducted in collaboration with universities, environmental groups, Indigenous groups, and the aquaculture and fishing industries.
The St. Andrews Biological Station conducts innovative research to contribute to Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s priorities, including:
Research Facilities Navigator
Learn more about this facility and connect directly by visiting St. Andrews Biological Station on the Research Facilities Navigator, the Canada Foundation for Innovation's online directory of publicly funded labs that are opening their doors to collaboration.