Dr. Miao (Mindy) Liu
- Fungal systematics (Taxonomy and nomenclature, molecular phylogenetics)
- Fungal population biology (Population evolution and speciation)
- Molecular detection of plant pathogens
- Gene evolution and comparative genomics
Current research and/or projects
- Fungal and Bacterial Biosystematics - bridging taxonomy and “omics” technology in agricultural research and regulation; J-002272; Project lead(s): Sarah Hambleton, Keith Seifert; Budgets: $2,495,000 ($157,500 for ML); Duration 2019/04/01 – 2024/03/31; Proposal stream: STB Annual Call for RDT Proposal
Research and/or project statements
Identify species and understand genetic variability of plant related fungal pathogens to facilitate the crop breeding program for developing disease resistant cultivars that will increase agriculture productivity; Understand the population genetic structure of plant pathogens to provide information for deploying environment-friendly disease control strategies and enhancing environmental performance; increase knowledge on systematics, genomics, diagnostics, chemotyping and distribution of toxin genic fungi (i.e. Claviceps spp.) in grains to build foundation for food quality control through bio-surveillance, domestic legislation/regulations, and risk evaluation.
Professional activities / interests
- Senior editor of Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology (2019–present).
- Section editor of Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology (2016–2019).
- Member of expert panel in the 4th National Invasive Species Forum, hosted by Canadian Council on Invasive species, Ottawa, 12 –13 February 2019
- Peer reviewer of manuscripts for Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, Carnets de bryolgie, Genome Biology and Evolution, Mycologia, Plant Disease etc.
Education and awards
- Ph.D., Plant Pathology, Cornell University, 2005
- M.S., Beijing Forestry University, 1990
International experience and/or work
Collaborate with scientists from Czech Republic (Dr. Miroslav Kolarik), Japan (Dr. Eiji Tanaka), UK (Dr. Anna Grodon), USA (Dr. Kirk Broders) on ergot (Claviceps) studies; and Germany (Dr. Uwe Braun), Japan (Dr. Susumu Takamatsu) on powddery mildew studies.
Hambleton S., Liu M., Eggertson Q., Wilson S., Carey J., Anikster Y., Kolmer J. 2019. Crown rust fungi with short lifecycles – the Puccinia mesnieriana species complex. Sydowia 71:47-632019 - View publication details
Shoukouhi, P., Jindal, K., Reid, L.M., Woldermariam, T., Barasubiye, T., Dadej, K., Tenuta, A., Liu, M. 2017. Molecular Variation of the Northern Corn Leaf Blight Pathogen (Exserohilum turcicum) Population in Ontario (Preliminary). 70th Northeast Corn Improvement Conference, Ottawa, ON, Feb 21-22, 2017. Oral presentation.2017 - View publication details
Hambleton, S., Eggertson, Q., Lévesque, C.A. Chen, W., Barasubiye, T., Redhead, S.A., and Liu, M. (2016). " DNA-barcoding the Powdery Mildews – sampling herbarium specimens in the National Mycological Herbarium (DAOM).", Canadian Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting, Delta Beausejour, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, June 12-15, 2016. (Poster)2016 - View publication details
Chen, W., C. Visagie, M. Liu, K. Seifert, T. Graefenhan, S. Hambleton and C. A. Levesque (2016). Geographic atlas of mycotoxigenic fungi through metagenomic surveys of DNA barcodes using a novel taxonomic classification approach. 2016 Canadian Phytopathological Society (CPS) annual meeting, June 12-15, 2016, Moncton, New Brunswick.2016 - View publication details
Hambleton, S., Eggertson, Q.A., and Liu, M. (2015). "The rust pathogens of Rubus in Canada – identification, nomenclature and DNA-barcoding.", Botany 2015, Shaw Convention Center, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, July 25-29, 2015.2015 - View publication details
Lowe, C., Zahariev, M., Liu, M., Hambleton, S., Seifert, K.A., Lévesque, C.A., and Chen, W. (2015). "Computational pipeline to improve detection accuracy of plant pathogens from NGS datasets using signature oligonucleotides.", American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting, Pasadena Convention Center, Pasadena, CA, USA, August 1-5, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Liu, M., McCabe, E., Chapados, J.T., Carey, J., Wilson, S.K., Tropiano, R., Redhead, S.A., Lévesque, C.A., and Hambleton, S. (2015). "Detection and identification of selected cereal rust pathogens by TaqMan® real-time PCR.", Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 37(1), pp. 92-105. doi : 10.1080/07060661.2014.9991232015 - View publication details
Hambleton, S., Temple, K., and Liu, M. (2014). "Taxonomy and DNA sequence variation of the rust fungi infecting four prairie grass species.", APS-CPS Joint Meeting, Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN, USA, August 9-13, 2014. (Poster)2014 - View publication details
Shoemaker, R.A., Hambleton, S., and Liu, M. (2013). "Vialaea insculpta revisited.", North American Fungi, 8(10), pp. 1-13. doi : 10.2509/naf2013.008.0102013 - View publication details
Shoemaker, R.A., Malloch, D., Hambleton, S., and Liu, M. (2013). "A new Vestigium on Abies balsamea.", North American Fungi, 8(9), pp. 1-6. doi : 10.2509/naf2013.008.0092013 - View publication details
- 1 of 2
- next ›
- Regional Representative and member of Canadian Phytopathological Society (since 2016)
- Member of Mycological Society of America (since 2016)
- Member of International Mycological Congress (since 2018)
- Member of Asian Mycological Congress (since 2019)