Dr. Feng Lin, Ph.D
Research in hydrocarbon recovery, interfacial phenomena, alternative and clean technologies of processing oil sands.
Current research and/or projects
I am a research scientist with solid knowledge and experience in the fields of interfacial transport phenomena, colloids, wetting dynamics and statics, adhesion and cohesion, heavy petroleum production, synthesis and characterization of polymeric and nano materials, polymer reaction engineering and catalysis. For a while, I had been playing with new things — without ever trying to recall what passions have been with me all along. My turning point into research came as I learnt making nanomaterials as a master student at the University of Waterloo. My passion to research is to be one of many contributors for searching cleaner solutions and materials to fuel our homes, societies and economies
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Greener extraction technologies for processing oil sands at lab and pilot scales.
- Fundamentals of non-aqueous bitumen extraction.
- Dewatering of oil sands tailings.
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of Alberta.
M.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Unviersity of Waterloo.
University of Alberta Provost Doctoral Entrance Award and Renewal (2006 and 2007).
University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship (2006).
- Lin, F.; He, L.; Hou, J.; Masliyah, J.; Xu, Z. Role of ethyl cellulose in bitumen extraction from oil sands ores using an aqueous-nonaqueous hybrid process. Energy Fuels, 2016, 30, 121-129.
- Primkulov, B.; Lin, F.; Xu, Z. Microscale liquid-liquid displacement dynamics: Molecular kinetic or hydrodynamic control. Colloids Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2016, 497, 336-343.
- He, L.; Lin, F.; Xu, Z.; Li, X.; Sui, H. Interfacial sciences in unconventional petroleum production: from fundamentals and applications. Chemical Society Reviews, 2015, 44, 5446-5494.
- He, L.; Lin, F.; Li, X.; Xu, Z.; Sui, H. Effect of solvent addition on bitumen-bubble attachment in process water. Chemical Engineering Science, 2015, 137, 31-39.
- Lin, F.; He, L.; Primkulov, B.; Xu, Z. Dewetting dynamics of a solid microsphere by emulsion drops. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2014, 118, 13552-13562.
- Lin, F.; Suda, J.; Yeung, A. A small point regarding DLVO coagulation conditions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2014, 430, 113-115.
- Lin, F.; Esmaeli, P.; Long, J.; Bara, B; Yeung, A. Random charge variations at the bitumen-water interface: characterization by autocorrelation. Colloids Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2014, 451, 144-150.
- He, L.; Lin, F.; Li, X.; Xu, Z.; Sui, H. Enhancing bitumen liberation by controlling the interfacial tension/viscosity ratio through solvent addition. Energy Fuels, 2014, 28, 7403-7410.
- He, L.; Li, X.; Wu, G.; Lin, F.; Sui, H. Distribution of saturates, aromatics, resins, and asphaltenes fractions in the bituminous layer of Athabasca oil sands. Energy Fuels, 2013, 27, 4677-4683.
- Esmaeili, P.; Lin, F.; Yeung, A. Stability of emulsified heavy oil: the combined effects of deterministic DLVO forces and random surface charges. Langmuir, 2012, 28, 4948-4954.