Dairy, pork, poultry and other livestock
Enhancing the Sector’s Productivity
- Identified B-complex vitamin requirements for high-production cows.
- Reviewed essential amino acid requirements for cows.
- Identified fatty acid requirements in fertility control for cows.
- Enhanced knowledge in genetics, physiology and biochemistry of dairy production.
- Identified vitamin requirements for sows and boars.
- Developed an individual feeding system for animals housed in groups (pork).
- Enhanced knowledge of lactation physiology in sows.
Enhancing environmental performance
- Developed a procedure for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in cows.
- Developed an anaerobic digestion system for animal waste. The key feature of this system is that it can function at low temperatures.
Improving food and non-food attributes
- Discovered genetic markers for meat quality (pork).
Dealing with the risks of the value chain
- Developed a DNA vaccine against bovine mastitis.
- Worked on animal behaviour to contribute to high-quality meat.