Yong-Lai Feng (Ph.D)
Research in analytical methodology for Exposure and Biomonitoring
Current research and/or projects
Conducting research in development of new analytical methods for environmental contaminants and their metabolites based on separation techniques including high performance liquid chromatography, capillary electrophoresis and gas chromatography, and mass spectrometry.
- Investigation of novel analytical technologies
- Identification of metabolites of environmental contaminants in humans for human exposure assessment
- Investigation of environmental transformation of organic contaminants and nanomaterials
- Investigation of DNA interaction with environmental contaminants for rapid screening in risk assessment
- New methods for characterization of nanomaterials
Research and/or project statements
- The fate of environmental contaminants and impacts of their fomation products as secondary pollutants
- Development of new screening method for DNA interaction potency of environmental contaminants in predicting potential risk
- Method development and application for exposure studies
- New sensitive method for monitoring contaminants in drinking water
- Metabolite analysis of environmental contaminants in biological samples (tissues)
Professional activities / interests
- Serving as a member of the North America Committee and Science and Regional Chapters and a member of Global Advisory Groups, Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC).
- Chair, The Chemical Institute of Canada, the Ottawa CIC Local Section
- Editorial board for two international journals
Education and awards
NSERC Research Fellow (INMS, NRC, Ottawa)
Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, Nanjing University, China
Ph.D. Material Science, Saitama University, Japan
J.-Z. Wang, Y. Hou, J. Zhang, J. Zhu, Y.-L. Feng, (2013) “Transformation of 2,2’,4,4’,-tetrabromodiphenyl ether under UV irradiation: potential sources of the secondary pollutants”, J. Hazard. Mater., 263: 778– 783.
Gavina, J.M.A.; Priem, J.; Wood, C.M.; Xiao, C.W.; Feng, Y.-L., (2013) “Determination of isoflavones in rat serum using liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry with a highly efficient core–shell column”, Anal Bioanal Chem, 405( 8 ): 2643-2651.
Gavina J.M.A., Rubab M., Zhu J., Nong A., Feng Y.-L., (2011), A Tool for Rapid Screening of Direct DNA Agents using Reaction Rates and Relative Interaction Potency: Towards Screening Environmental Contaminants for Hazard, J. Environ. Monit., 13 (11): 3145 – 3155.
Zhang H., Zhu J., Aranda-Rodriguez R. Feng Y.-L., (2011) Pressure assisted electrokinetic injection for on-line enrichment in capillary electrophoresis- mass spectrometry: A sensitive method for measurement of ten haloacetic acids in drinking water, Anal. Chim. Acta, 706(1): 176-183.
Zhang H., Gavina J.M.A, Feng Y.-L., (2011) Understanding Mechanisms of Pressure-Assisted Electrokinetic Injection: Application to Analysis of Bromate, Arsenic and Selenium Species in Drinking Water by Capillary Electrophoresis-Mass Spectrometry, J. Chromatog. A. 1218(20): 3095-3104.
Feng Y-L., Lian H., Liao X-J., Zhu J. (2009) Chromatographic Method for Quick Estimation of DNA Interaction Potency of Environmental Pollutants. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 28(10): 2044–2051.
Zhu, J., Feng, Y.-L., Mahiba, S., (2007) “Detection of Dechlorane Plus in Residential Indoor Dust in the City of Ottawa, Canada" Environ. Sci. Technol., 41: 7694-7698.
Feng, Y.-L., Zhu, J., (2008) “Constant Pressure Assisted Electrokinetic Injection for On-line Enhanced Detection of Monophthalates in Capillary Electrophoresis-mass Spectrometry with Application to Human Urine” Electrophoresis, 29(10): 1965-1973.
Feng Y.-L., Zhu J., (2006) “On-Line Enhancement Technique for the Analysis of Nucleotides Using Capillary Zone Electrophoresis/Mass Spectrometry”, Anal. Chem., 78(18): 6608-6618.
Feng Y.-L., Zhu J., (2005) “Development of a headspace solid-phase microextraction method combined with gas chromatography mass spectrometry for the determination of phthalate esters in cow milk”, Anal. Chim. Acta, 538: 41-48.