As a senior research scientist in soil and nutrient management, leads projects and collaboration on scientific studies that:
- Investigate how nutrient and organic residue management influence on agriculture production and environment.
- Assess soil health for cultivated cropland with animal manure application and for native rangeland under cattle grazing.
- Investigate soil carbon stability/storage for both cultivated and native rangeland under various management practices
- Evaluate the impact of nitrogen stabilizers, such as nitrification inhibitors, on nitrous oxide emission from fertilized winter and spring wheat productions and from urine patches on tame and native pasture.
Current research and/or projects
1. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Integrating N fertilizer technologies with superior genetics to optimize protein in CWRS wheat without compromising yield, 4R principles, and environmental health. Alberta Funding Consortium. 2019.4-2024.3
2.Collaborator. L.-P. Comeau (PI), C. Goyer (Co-PI), K. Hannam, X. Hao and others. Soil Microbial Biogeography and Soil Health in Agro-Ecosystems of Atlantic Canada. AAFC-Abase. 2019.4-2022.3
3. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Innovative winter wheat agronomy in the Canadian Prairies. Wheat Cluster. 2018.4-2023.3
4. Co-principal investigator. M Martin (PI), X. Hao and others. Resilient crop–livestock systems. AAFC-Abase. 2018.4-2021.3
5. Collaborator. E. Okine (PI, University of Lethbridge), T.A. McAllister, X. Hao and others. Use biochar to reduce GHG in animal agriculture. AAFC-AGGP program. 2016.12-2021.3
6. Principal investigator. X. Hao. Carbon and nutrient management to reduce GHG emission & enhance soil C storage. AAFC-International collaboration Fund. 2017.4-2020.3
7. Principal investigator. X. Hao, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Persistency of dietary 3-nitrooxypropanol through manure lifecycle. ALMA. 2016.4-2019.9
8. Principal investigator. X. Hao, N. Lupwayi, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Novel manure/compost for soil health. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
9. Collaborator. K. Floate (PI), X. Hao, N. Lupwayi. Ecosystem function of dung insects. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
10. Principal investigator. X. Hao, D. Thompson, D. Bruhjell, N. Lupwayi. Conserving rangeland soil resources. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3
Research and/or project statements
- Livestock manure management
- Soil chemistry
- Soil fertility
- Soil health
- Rangeland soil
- Greenhouse gas
Education and awards
Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, University of Manitoba, 1998
M.Sc., Soil Physics, University of Saskatchewan, 1986
B.Sc., Soil Science & Agro-Chemistry, China Agricultural University 1982
International experience and/or work
1. Co-supervising Chinese Ph.D. exchange students in collaboration with (1) China Agricultural University, (2) Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, (3) Yunnan Agricultural University, (4) Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University; (5) Southwest University, and (6) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science. Ongoing since 2006.
2. Collaborative research with N. Verhulst and N. Honsdorf (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre, Mexico), and S.G. Fonteyne (CGIAR, Mexico) on Soil C fractionation as influenced by tillage and straw management under different rates of nitrogen fertilizer application. 2018.2-2020.3.
Miller, J.J., Beasley, B.W., Bremer, E., Drury, C.F., Larney, F.J., Hao, X., Chanasyk, D.S. (2019). Short-term legacy effects of feedlot manure amendments on irrigated barley yield and soil macronutrient supply. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 99(1), 100-115. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2018-00642019 - View publication details
Zhang, B., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Willms, W.D., Zhao, M., Hao, X. (2018). Slope position regulates response of carbon and nitrogen stocks to cattle grazing on rough fescue grassland. Journal of Soils and Sediments, [online] 18(11), 3228-3234. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11368-018-1992-52018 - View publication details
Shrestha, N.K., Thomas, B.W., Du, X., Hao, X., Wang, J. (2018). Modeling nitrous oxide emissions from rough fescue grassland soils subjected to long-term grazing of different intensities using the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT). Environmental Science and Pollution Research, [online] 25(27), 27362-27377. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2719-22018 - View publication details
Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from agriculture is an important way to mitigate climate change. Diet manipulation influences enteric fermentation and has the potential to reduce GHG emissions; however, few studies have examined the effect of diet composition on GHG emissions after manure is applied to the soil. We conducted a 70-day lab incubation experiment to investigate this knowledge gap and analyze how different manure types affect soil biogeochemical cycling and GHG emissions. We are analyzing the results now and a poster will be prepared and presented at the 21. 21st World Congress of Soil Science in August 2018.2018 - View publication details
Thomas, B.W.*, J.K. Whalen, M. Sharifi, M.H. Chantigny, X. Hao. 2018. Nitrogen mineralization in sandy loam and silty clay soils receiving liquid swine and dairy cattle manure. Joint Annual Meeting of Canadian Geophysical Union-Canadian Soil Science Society-Computational Infrastructure in Geodynamics-Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America-Canadian Society for Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. June 10–14, 2018.2018 - View publication details
Zhang, B., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Liu, K., Zhao, M., Hao, X. (2018). Labile soil organic matter in response to long-term cattle grazing on sloped rough fescue grassland in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Alberta. Geoderma, [online] 318 9-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.12.0192018 - View publication details
Nkemka, V.N., Hao, X. (2018). Start-up of a sequential dry anaerobic digestion of paunch under psychrophilic and mesophilic temperatures. Waste Management, [online] 74 144-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.06.0222018 - View publication details
Lupwayi, N.Z., Kanashiro, D.A., Eastman, A.H., Hao, X. (2018). Soil phospholipid fatty acid biomarkers and β-glucosidase activities after long-term manure and fertilizer N applications. Soil Science Society of America Journal, [online] 82(2), 343-353. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.09.03402018 - View publication details
Agomoh, I., Zvomuya, F., Hao, X., College, L. (2018). Modeling barley yield in a dark brown chernozem after discontinuation of long-term manure application. Soil Science Society of America Journal, [online] 82(2), 392-402. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.08.02842018 - View publication details
Soden, C, Hao X, Thomas BW, Stoeckli K, Floate K, Lupwayi N. 2018. Could dung pats treated with and without ivermectin affect insect activities and impact soil available nitrogen on native pasture? 2018 Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Edmonton AB, Feb 20-22, 2018.2018 - View publication details
Zhang, Y., Hao, X., Alexander, T.W., Thomas, B.W., Shi, X., Lupwayi, N.Z. (2018). Long-term and legacy effects of manure application on soil microbial community composition. Biology and Fertility of Soils, [online] 54(2), 269-283. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00374-017-1257-22018 - View publication details
Gao, X., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Thompson, D.J., Zhao, M., Willms, W.D., Hao, X. (2018). Long-Term Grazing Alters Soil Trace Gas Fluxes from Grasslands in the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Land Degradation & Development, [online] 29(2), 292-302. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ldr.26642018 - View publication details
Hao, X., C. Soden, J. Stoeckli, B.W. Thomas, K.D. Floate and N. Lupwayi. 2018. Could insect activities reduce greenhouse gas emissions from dung pats? 71st Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, Sparks, Nevada, 28 January – 02 February. [oral presentation]2018 - View publication details
Miller, J.J., Beasley, B.W., Drury, C.F., Larney, F.J., Hao, X., Chanasyk, D.S. (2018). Influence of long-term application of stockpiled feedlot manure with straw or wood-chip bedding on net nitrogen mineralization and nitrification in a clay loam soil. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 98(2), 200-211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-00822018 - View publication details
Agomoh, I., Hao, X., Zvomuya, F. (2018). Phytoextraction of nitrogen and phosphorus by crops grown in a heavily manured Dark Brown Chernozem under contrasting soil moisture conditions. International Journal of Phytoremediation, [online] 20(1), 27-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15226514.2017.13193332018 - View publication details
Miller, J.J., Beasley, B.W., Drury, C.F., Larney, F.J., Hao, X., Chanasyk, D.S. (2018). Influence of long-term feedlot manure amendments on soil hydraulic conductivity, water-stable aggregates, and soil thermal properties during the growing season. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 98(3), 421-435. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-00612018 - View publication details
Agomoh, I., Zvomuya, F., Hao, X., Akinremi, O.O., McAllister, T.A. (2018). Nitrogen mineralization in chernozemic soils amended with manure from cattle fed dried distillers grains with solubles. Soil Science Society of America Journal, [online] 82(1), 167-175. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.08.02822018 - View publication details
http://ag-matters.com/thinking-long-term-about-southern-albertas-soil-health/2017 - View publication details
Zhang, Y., de Vries, W., Thomas, B.W., Hao, X., Shi, X. (2017). Impacts of long-term nitrogen fertilization on acid buffering rates and mechanisms of a slightly calcareous clay soil. Geoderma, [online] 305 92-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.05.0212017 - View publication details
Thomas, B.W., Stoeckli, J.L., Beck, R., Liu, K., Koenig, K.M., Beres, B.L., Hao, X., Gao, X. (2017). Nitrapyrin reduced nitrous oxide emissions from beef cattle urine patches on a semiarid tame pasture. Soil Science Society of America Journal, [online] 81(6), 1537-1547. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.04.01232017 - View publication details
- ‹ previous
- 2 of 15
- next ›
Inner Mongolia Agricultureal Unviersity (since 2006)
University of Manitoba (since 2006)