As a senior research scientist in soil and nutrient management, leads projects and collaboration on scientific studies that:
- Investigate how nutrient and organic residue management influence on agriculture production and environment.
- Assess soil health for cultivated cropland with animal manure application and for native rangeland under cattle grazing.
- Investigate soil carbon stability/storage for both cultivated and native rangeland under various management practices
- Evaluate the impact of nitrogen stabilizers, such as nitrification inhibitors, on nitrous oxide emission from fertilized winter and spring wheat productions and from urine patches on tame and native pasture.
Current research and/or projects
1. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Integrating N fertilizer technologies with superior genetics to optimize protein in CWRS wheat without compromising yield, 4R principles, and environmental health. Alberta Funding Consortium. 2019.4-2024.3
2.Collaborator. L.-P. Comeau (PI), C. Goyer (Co-PI), K. Hannam, X. Hao and others. Soil Microbial Biogeography and Soil Health in Agro-Ecosystems of Atlantic Canada. AAFC-Abase. 2019.4-2022.3
3. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Innovative winter wheat agronomy in the Canadian Prairies. Wheat Cluster. 2018.4-2023.3
4. Co-principal investigator. M Martin (PI), X. Hao and others. Resilient crop–livestock systems. AAFC-Abase. 2018.4-2021.3
5. Collaborator. E. Okine (PI, University of Lethbridge), T.A. McAllister, X. Hao and others. Use biochar to reduce GHG in animal agriculture. AAFC-AGGP program. 2016.12-2021.3
6. Principal investigator. X. Hao. Carbon and nutrient management to reduce GHG emission & enhance soil C storage. AAFC-International collaboration Fund. 2017.4-2020.3
7. Principal investigator. X. Hao, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Persistency of dietary 3-nitrooxypropanol through manure lifecycle. ALMA. 2016.4-2019.9
8. Principal investigator. X. Hao, N. Lupwayi, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Novel manure/compost for soil health. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
9. Collaborator. K. Floate (PI), X. Hao, N. Lupwayi. Ecosystem function of dung insects. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
10. Principal investigator. X. Hao, D. Thompson, D. Bruhjell, N. Lupwayi. Conserving rangeland soil resources. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3
Research and/or project statements
- Livestock manure management
- Soil chemistry
- Soil fertility
- Soil health
- Rangeland soil
- Greenhouse gas
Education and awards
Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, University of Manitoba, 1998
M.Sc., Soil Physics, University of Saskatchewan, 1986
B.Sc., Soil Science & Agro-Chemistry, China Agricultural University 1982
International experience and/or work
1. Co-supervising Chinese Ph.D. exchange students in collaboration with (1) China Agricultural University, (2) Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, (3) Yunnan Agricultural University, (4) Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University; (5) Southwest University, and (6) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science. Ongoing since 2006.
2. Collaborative research with N. Verhulst and N. Honsdorf (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre, Mexico), and S.G. Fonteyne (CGIAR, Mexico) on Soil C fractionation as influenced by tillage and straw management under different rates of nitrogen fertilizer application. 2018.2-2020.3.
Owens, J.L., Thomas, B.W., Stoeckli, J.L., Beauchemin, K.A., McAllister, T.A., Larney, F.J., Hao, X. (2020). Greenhouse gas and ammonia emissions from stored manure from beef cattle supplemented 3-nitrooxypropanol and monensin to reduce enteric methane emissions, 10(1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-75236-w2020 - View publication details
An, H., Owens, J., Stoeckli, J., Hao, X., Beres, B., Li, Y. (2020). Nitrous oxide emissions following split fertilizer application on winter wheat grown on Mollisols of Southern Alberta, Canada, 21 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geodrs.2020.e002722020 - View publication details
Zhang, Y., Gao, X., Hao, X., Alexander, T.W., Shi, X., Jin, L., Thomas, B.W. (2020). Heavy grazing over 64 years reduced soil bacterial diversity in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Canada, 147 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2019.09.0112020 - View publication details
Carlos M. Romero, Xiying Hao, Jen Owens, Hongjie Zhang, Erasmus Okine, Abby-Ann Redman, Paul Hazendonk, Tim A. McAllister. Enhancement of manure composting by biochar: An emerging benefit to the use of engineered carbon in animal feeding. 57th Alberta Soil Science Workshop. Lethbridge AB, Feb. 18-20, 2020.2020 - View publication details
Xiying Hao, Carlos M. Romero, Jessica Stoeckli, Hongjie Zhang and Jim Miller. 2020. Influence of Legacy Applications of Feedlot Manure Amendments on Soil Carbon and Nitrogen Fractions. 57th Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Lethbridge, A. Feb. 18-20, 2020.2020 - View publication details
Hao, X. and He, Z. (2020). Pelletizing Animal Manures for On‐ and Off‐Farm Use. In Animal Manure (eds H. Waldrip, P. Pagliari and Z. He). https://doi.org/10.2134/asaspecpub67.c232019 - View publication details
C Li, CM Romero, J Owens, GO Ribeiro, T McAllister, E Okine, X Hao. 2019. Novel strategies for biochar application to densely populated livestock regions in North America–Impacts on soil nutrient cycling and greenhouse gas emissions. AGU Fall Meeting 2019. Dec 9-13, 2019. San Francisco. USA2019 - View publication details
Nkemka, V.N., Beauchemin, K.A., Hao, X. (2019). Treatment of feces from beef cattle fed the enteric methane inhibitor 3-nitrooxypropanol, 80(3), 437-447. http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/wst.2019.3022019 - View publication details
Zhang, B., Beck, R., Pan, Q., Zhao, M., Hao, X. (2019). Soil physical and chemical properties in response to long-term cattle grazing on sloped rough fescue grassland in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, 346 75-83. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2019.03.0292019 - View publication details
Lupwayi, N.Z., Zhang, Y., Hao, X., Thomas, B.W., Eastman, A.H., Schwinghamer, T.D. (2019). Linking soil microbial biomass and enzyme activities to long-term manure applications and their nonlinear legacy, 74 34-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedobi.2019.04.0012019 - View publication details
An, H., Zhang, B., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Willms, W.D., Li, Y., Hao, X. (2019). Short term recovery of vegetation and soil after abandoning cultivated mixedgrass prairies in Alberta, Canada, 173 321-329. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2018.10.0172019 - View publication details
Haibo An1, Jennifer Owens, Brian Beres, Ramona Mohr, Xiying Hao. 2019. Nitrous oxide emissions from enhanced efficiency fertilizers in a rain-fed winter wheat cropping system in semi-arid southern Alberta. 2019 SSSA International Soils Meeting in San Diego, CA. Jan 5-9, 20192019 - View publication details
Zhang B, Beck R, Willms W, Zhao M. Hao X. 2019. Soil physical properties, carbon and nitrogen recovery after 20 years’ exclosure from grazing on a rough fescue grassland. 2019 SSSA International Soils Meeting in San Diego, CA. Jan 5-9, 2019.2019 - View publication details
Zhang, B., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Willms, W.D., Zhao, M., Hao, X. (2018). Slope position regulates response of carbon and nitrogen stocks to cattle grazing on rough fescue grassland, 18(11), 3228-3234. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11368-018-1992-52018 - View publication details
Shrestha, N.K., Thomas, B.W., Du, X., Hao, X., Wang, J. (2018). Modeling nitrous oxide emissions from rough fescue grassland soils subjected to long-term grazing of different intensities using the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT), 25(27), 27362-27377. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2719-22018 - View publication details
Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from agriculture is an important way to mitigate climate change. Diet manipulation influences enteric fermentation and has the potential to reduce GHG emissions; however, few studies have examined the effect of diet composition on GHG emissions after manure is applied to the soil. We conducted a 70-day lab incubation experiment to investigate this knowledge gap and analyze how different manure types affect soil biogeochemical cycling and GHG emissions. We are analyzing the results now and a poster will be prepared and presented at the 21. 21st World Congress of Soil Science in August 2018.2018 - View publication details
Thomas, B.W.*, J.K. Whalen, M. Sharifi, M.H. Chantigny, X. Hao. 2018. Nitrogen mineralization in sandy loam and silty clay soils receiving liquid swine and dairy cattle manure. Joint Annual Meeting of Canadian Geophysical Union-Canadian Soil Science Society-Computational Infrastructure in Geodynamics-Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America-Canadian Society for Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. June 10–14, 2018.2018 - View publication details
Zhang, B., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R., Liu, K., Zhao, M., Hao, X. (2018). Labile soil organic matter in response to long-term cattle grazing on sloped rough fescue grassland in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, 318 9-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.12.0192018 - View publication details
Nkemka, V.N., Hao, X. (2018). Start-up of a sequential dry anaerobic digestion of paunch under psychrophilic and mesophilic temperatures, 74 144-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.06.0222018 - View publication details
Lupwayi, N.Z., Kanashiro, D.A., Eastman, A.H., Hao, X. (2018). Soil phospholipid fatty acid biomarkers and β-glucosidase activities after long-term manure and fertilizer N applications, 82(2), 343-353. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.09.03402018 - View publication details
- 1 of 14
- next ›
Inner Mongolia Agricultureal Unviersity (since 2006)
University of Manitoba (since 2006)