As a senior research scientist in soil and nutrient management, leads projects and collaboration on scientific studies that:
- Investigate how nutrient and organic residue management influence on agriculture production and environment.
- Assess soil health for cultivated cropland with animal manure application and for native rangeland under cattle grazing.
- Investigate soil carbon stability/storage for both cultivated and native rangeland under various management practices
- Evaluate the impact of nitrogen stabilizers, such as nitrification inhibitors, on nitrous oxide emission from fertilized winter and spring wheat productions and from urine patches on tame and native pasture.
Current research and/or projects
1. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Integrating N fertilizer technologies with superior genetics to optimize protein in CWRS wheat without compromising yield, 4R principles, and environmental health. Alberta Funding Consortium. 2019.4-2024.3
2.Collaborator. L.-P. Comeau (PI), C. Goyer (Co-PI), K. Hannam, X. Hao and others. Soil Microbial Biogeography and Soil Health in Agro-Ecosystems of Atlantic Canada. AAFC-Abase. 2019.4-2022.3
3. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Innovative winter wheat agronomy in the Canadian Prairies. Wheat Cluster. 2018.4-2023.3
4. Co-principal investigator. M Martin (PI), X. Hao and others. Resilient crop–livestock systems. AAFC-Abase. 2018.4-2021.3
5. Collaborator. E. Okine (PI, University of Lethbridge), T.A. McAllister, X. Hao and others. Use biochar to reduce GHG in animal agriculture. AAFC-AGGP program. 2016.12-2021.3
6. Principal investigator. X. Hao. Carbon and nutrient management to reduce GHG emission & enhance soil C storage. AAFC-International collaboration Fund. 2017.4-2020.3
7. Principal investigator. X. Hao, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Persistency of dietary 3-nitrooxypropanol through manure lifecycle. ALMA. 2016.4-2019.9
8. Principal investigator. X. Hao, N. Lupwayi, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Novel manure/compost for soil health. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
9. Collaborator. K. Floate (PI), X. Hao, N. Lupwayi. Ecosystem function of dung insects. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
10. Principal investigator. X. Hao, D. Thompson, D. Bruhjell, N. Lupwayi. Conserving rangeland soil resources. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3
Research and/or project statements
- Livestock manure management
- Soil chemistry
- Soil fertility
- Soil health
- Rangeland soil
- Greenhouse gas
Education and awards
Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, University of Manitoba, 1998
M.Sc., Soil Physics, University of Saskatchewan, 1986
B.Sc., Soil Science & Agro-Chemistry, China Agricultural University 1982
International experience and/or work
1. Co-supervising Chinese Ph.D. exchange students in collaboration with (1) China Agricultural University, (2) Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, (3) Yunnan Agricultural University, (4) Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University; (5) Southwest University, and (6) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science. Ongoing since 2006.
2. Collaborative research with N. Verhulst and N. Honsdorf (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre, Mexico), and S.G. Fonteyne (CGIAR, Mexico) on Soil C fractionation as influenced by tillage and straw management under different rates of nitrogen fertilizer application. 2018.2-2020.3.
Carlos M. Romero, Xiying Hao, Jen Owens, Hongjie Zhang, Erasmus Okine, Abby-Ann Redman, Paul Hazendonk, Tim A. McAllister. Enhancement of manure composting by biochar: An emerging benefit to the use of engineered carbon in animal feeding. 57th Alberta Soil Science Workshop. Lethbridge AB, Feb. 18-20, 2020.2020 - View publication details
Xiying Hao, Carlos M. Romero, Jessica Stoeckli, Hongjie Zhang and Jim Miller. 2020. Influence of Legacy Applications of Feedlot Manure Amendments on Soil Carbon and Nitrogen Fractions. 57th Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Lethbridge, A. Feb. 18-20, 2020.2020 - View publication details
Hao, X. and He, Z. (2020). Pelletizing Animal Manures for On‐ and Off‐Farm Use. In Animal Manure (eds H. Waldrip, P. Pagliari and Z. He). https://doi.org/10.2134/asaspecpub67.c232019 - View publication details
C Li, CM Romero, J Owens, GO Ribeiro, T McAllister, E Okine, X Hao. 2019. Novel strategies for biochar application to densely populated livestock regions in North America–Impacts on soil nutrient cycling and greenhouse gas emissions. AGU Fall Meeting 2019. Dec 9-13, 2019. San Francisco. USA2019 - View publication details
Zhang B, Beck R, Willms W, Zhao M. Hao X. 2019. Soil physical properties, carbon and nitrogen recovery after 20 years’ exclosure from grazing on a rough fescue grassland. 2019 SSSA International Soils Meeting in San Diego, CA. Jan 5-9, 2019.2019 - View publication details
Haibo An1, Jennifer Owens, Brian Beres, Ramona Mohr, Xiying Hao. 2019. Nitrous oxide emissions from enhanced efficiency fertilizers in a rain-fed winter wheat cropping system in semi-arid southern Alberta. 2019 SSSA International Soils Meeting in San Diego, CA. Jan 5-9, 20192019 - View publication details
Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from agriculture is an important way to mitigate climate change. Diet manipulation influences enteric fermentation and has the potential to reduce GHG emissions; however, few studies have examined the effect of diet composition on GHG emissions after manure is applied to the soil. We conducted a 70-day lab incubation experiment to investigate this knowledge gap and analyze how different manure types affect soil biogeochemical cycling and GHG emissions. We are analyzing the results now and a poster will be prepared and presented at the 21. 21st World Congress of Soil Science in August 2018.2018 - View publication details
Thomas, B.W.*, J.K. Whalen, M. Sharifi, M.H. Chantigny, X. Hao. 2018. Nitrogen mineralization in sandy loam and silty clay soils receiving liquid swine and dairy cattle manure. Joint Annual Meeting of Canadian Geophysical Union-Canadian Soil Science Society-Computational Infrastructure in Geodynamics-Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America-Canadian Society for Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. June 10–14, 2018.2018 - View publication details
Soden, C, Hao X, Thomas BW, Stoeckli K, Floate K, Lupwayi N. 2018. Could dung pats treated with and without ivermectin affect insect activities and impact soil available nitrogen on native pasture? 2018 Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Edmonton AB, Feb 20-22, 2018.2018 - View publication details
Hao, X., C. Soden, J. Stoeckli, B.W. Thomas, K.D. Floate and N. Lupwayi. 2018. Could insect activities reduce greenhouse gas emissions from dung pats? 71st Annual Meeting of the Society for Range Management, Sparks, Nevada, 28 January – 02 February. [oral presentation]2018 - View publication details
Miller, J.J., Beasley, B.W., Drury, C.F., Larney, F.J., Hao, X., Chanasyk, D.S. (2018). Influence of long-term feedlot manure amendments on soil hydraulic conductivity, water-stable aggregates, and soil thermal properties during the growing season, 98(3), 421-435. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-00612018 - View publication details
http://ag-matters.com/thinking-long-term-about-southern-albertas-soil-health/2017 - View publication details
Alemu, A.W., Janzen, H.H., Little, S., Hao, X.Y., Thompson, D.J., Baron, V., Iwaasa, A., Beauchemin, K.A., Kröbel, R., 2017. Assessment of grazing management on farm greenhouse gas intensity of beef production systems in the Canadian Prairies using life cycle assessment. Agricultural Systems 158, 1-132017 - View publication details
Gao, X., Hao, X., Thomas, B.W., Beck, R.K., Thompson, D.J., Willms, W.D., and Zhao, M. (2016). "Soil CO2, CH4 and N2O fluxes in response to cattle stocking rates on a rough fescue grassland.", 2016 Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Grand Prairies, AB, Canada, February 16-18, 2016. (Abstract)2016 - View publication details
Agomoh, I., Zvomuya, F., and Hao, X. (2016). "Soil nitrogen release and dynamics in Chernozemic soils amended with manure from cattle fed DDGS diet co-amended with construction waste.", 59th Annual Manitoba Soil Science Society Meeting, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, February 4-5, 2016. (Abstract)2016 - View publication details
Stoeckli, J., Thomas, B.W., Hao, X., Larney, F.J., Chantigny, M.H., and Goyer, C. (2016). "Water-extractable organic C, ammonium and nitrate dynamics over two non-growing seasons in response to cover crop species and fertilizer source.", 2016 Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Grand Prairies, AB, Canada, February 16-18, 2016. (Abstract)2016 - View publication details
Gilroyed, B.H., Conrad, C., Hao, X., McAllister, T.A., Stanford, K., Reuter, T. (2016). Composting for biocontained cattle mortality disposal and associated greenhouse gas and leachate emissions, 45(2), 646-656. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/jeq2015.06.03142016 - View publication details
Alemu, A.W., Little, S.M., Hao, X., Iwaasa, A.D., Baron, V.S., Chai, L.L., Janzen, H.H., Beauchemin, K.A., Thompson, D., and Kröbel, R. (2015). "Application of life cycle assessment approach to beef production systems in the Canadian prairies with regard to environmental impact and energy use efficiency.", LCA Conference XV - A bright green future, Vancouver, Canada, October 6-8, 2015, Presentation.2015 - View publication details
Agomoh, I., Hao, X., and Zvomuya, F. (2015). "Rates of nutrient removal by various crops grown in a previously heavily manured Dark Brown Chernozemic soil.", 2015 Canadian Land Reclamation Association/Manitoba Soil Science Society Joint Meeting, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, June 15-18, 2015. (Abstract)2015 - View publication details
Nkemka, V.N. and Hao, X. (2015). "Biogas production from high-solid organic wastes and energy crops: dry anaerobic digestion system.", in Liu, Z. (ed.) - Gas Biofuels from Waste Biomass: Principles and Advances, Nova Science Publishers Inc, Chapter 4, pp. 77-86.2015 - View publication details
- 1 of 9
- next ›
Inner Mongolia Agricultureal Unviersity (since 2006)
University of Manitoba (since 2006)