As a senior research scientist in soil and nutrient management, leads projects and collaboration on scientific studies that:
- Investigate how nutrient and organic residue management influence on agriculture production and environment.
- Assess soil health for cultivated cropland with animal manure application and for native rangeland under cattle grazing.
- Investigate soil carbon stability/storage for both cultivated and native rangeland under various management practices
- Evaluate the impact of nitrogen stabilizers, such as nitrification inhibitors, on nitrous oxide emission from fertilized winter and spring wheat productions and from urine patches on tame and native pasture.
Current research and/or projects
1. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Integrating N fertilizer technologies with superior genetics to optimize protein in CWRS wheat without compromising yield, 4R principles, and environmental health. Alberta Funding Consortium. 2019.4-2024.3
2.Collaborator. L.-P. Comeau (PI), C. Goyer (Co-PI), K. Hannam, X. Hao and others. Soil Microbial Biogeography and Soil Health in Agro-Ecosystems of Atlantic Canada. AAFC-Abase. 2019.4-2022.3
3. Collaborator. B. Beres (PI), X. Hao, R. Mohr and others. Innovative winter wheat agronomy in the Canadian Prairies. Wheat Cluster. 2018.4-2023.3
4. Co-principal investigator. M Martin (PI), X. Hao and others. Resilient crop–livestock systems. AAFC-Abase. 2018.4-2021.3
5. Collaborator. E. Okine (PI, University of Lethbridge), T.A. McAllister, X. Hao and others. Use biochar to reduce GHG in animal agriculture. AAFC-AGGP program. 2016.12-2021.3
6. Principal investigator. X. Hao. Carbon and nutrient management to reduce GHG emission & enhance soil C storage. AAFC-International collaboration Fund. 2017.4-2020.3
7. Principal investigator. X. Hao, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Persistency of dietary 3-nitrooxypropanol through manure lifecycle. ALMA. 2016.4-2019.9
8. Principal investigator. X. Hao, N. Lupwayi, K. Beauchemin, T.A. McAllister, F.R. Larney, S. Acharya. Novel manure/compost for soil health. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
9. Collaborator. K. Floate (PI), X. Hao, N. Lupwayi. Ecosystem function of dung insects. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3.
10. Principal investigator. X. Hao, D. Thompson, D. Bruhjell, N. Lupwayi. Conserving rangeland soil resources. AAFC-Abase. 2016.4-2019.3
Research and/or project statements
- Livestock manure management
- Soil chemistry
- Soil fertility
- Soil health
- Rangeland soil
- Greenhouse gas
Education and awards
Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, University of Manitoba, 1998
M.Sc., Soil Physics, University of Saskatchewan, 1986
B.Sc., Soil Science & Agro-Chemistry, China Agricultural University 1982
International experience and/or work
1. Co-supervising Chinese Ph.D. exchange students in collaboration with (1) China Agricultural University, (2) Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, (3) Yunnan Agricultural University, (4) Northwest Agriculture & Forestry University; (5) Southwest University, and (6) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science. Ongoing since 2006.
2. Collaborative research with N. Verhulst and N. Honsdorf (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre, Mexico), and S.G. Fonteyne (CGIAR, Mexico) on Soil C fractionation as influenced by tillage and straw management under different rates of nitrogen fertilizer application. 2018.2-2020.3.
For a complete list of publications, please visit: AAFC Online
An H, Zhang B, Thomas BW, Beck R, Willms WD, Li Y, Hao X. 2019. Short term recovery of vegetation and soil after abandoning cultivated mixedgrass prairies in Alberta, Canada. Catena 173:321-329.
Zhang B, Thomas BW, Beck R, Willms W, Zhao M. Hao X. 2018. Slope position regulates response of carbon and nitrogen stocks to cattle grazing on Rough Fescue grassland. Journal of soil and Sediments 18:3228-3234.
Gao X, Thomas BW, Beck R, Thompson D, Zhao M, Walter WD, Hao X. 2018. Soil trace gas fluxes are altered by long-term cattle grazing in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Land Degradation and Development 29:292-302 (doi: 10.1002/ldr.2664).
Thomas BW, Gao X, Stoeckli J, Beck R, Liu K. Koenig KM, Beres B, Hao X. 2018. Nitrapyrin reduced nitrous oxide emissions from beef cattle urine patches on a semiarid tame pasture. Soil Science Society of America Journal 81:1537-1547.
Zhang B, Thomas BW, Beck R, Liu K, Zhao M, Hao X. 2018. Labile soil organic matter in response to long-term cattle grazing on sloped rough fescue grassland in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Alberta Geoderma 318:9-15.
Thomas BW, Gao X, Beck R, Hao X. 2017. Are distinct nitrous oxide emission factors required for cattle urine and dung deposited on pasture in western Canada? Environmental Science and Pollution. 24:26142–26147.
Hao X, Thomas B, Nelson V, Li X. 2016. Agronomic values of anaerobically digested cattle manure and the separated solid for barley forage production. Soil Science Society America Journal 80:1572–1584.
Hao X. Hill B, Caffyn P, Travis G, Olson AF, Larney FJ, McAllister TA, Alexander T. 2014. Co-composting of beef cattle feedlot manure with construction and demolition waste. Journal of Environmental Quality 43:1799-1808.
Hao X, Chang C. 2003. Does long-term heavy cattle manure application increase salinity of a clay loam soil in semi-arid southern Alberta? Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 94:89-104.
Hao X, Chang C, Larney FJ. 2004. Carbon and nitrogen balances and greenhouse gas emission during cattle manure composting. Journal of Environmental Quality. 33:37-44.
Hao X, Chang C, Larney FJ, Travis GR. 2001. Greenhouse gas emissions during cattle feedlot manure composting. Journal of Environmental Quality. 30:376-386.
Inner Mongolia Agricultureal Unviersity (since 2006)
University of Manitoba (since 2006)