Uzzal Ahmed Liton, P.Ag.
Current research and/or projects
- Developing barley germplasm with improved resistance to Fusarium head blight and other biotic stresses for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's Brandon Research and Development Centre (Team member).
- Breeding malting and food barley cultivars for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's Brandon Research and Development Centre assisted by new technologies (Team member).
- Western Barley Breeding CORE Support Agreement (Team member).
- Targeted and useful genomics for barley and oat (TUGBOAT team member).
- Phenotyping and Genomic Selection for Improved Barley Deoxynivalenol (DON) Resistance (Team member).
Professional activities / interests
- Plant Breeding and Genomics
- Cereal Pathology
- Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics
- Plant Physiology
Education and awards
- Ph.D. candidate, Dept. of Plant Science, University of Manitoba
- M.Sc. in Agriculture specialization Plant Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2014
- M.Sc. in Genetics and Plant Breeding, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Bangladesh, 2010
- B.Sc. in Agriculture, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Bangladesh, 2008
- Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University Gold Medal, 2015
- University Grant Commission (UGC) Award, 2009
- Imperial Seed Co. Ltd. Scholarship, 2019
- Helgason Travel Award, 2019
- P. E. McVetty Plant Breeding Scholarship, 2018
- International Graduate Student Scholarship, 2017
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship, 2016
- John Dueck Graduate Entrance Scholarship, 2016
- Danish Government Scholarship, 2012
- Australian Crawford Fund for Training, 2011
- National Science Information and Communication Technology Fellowship, 2010
- Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University Dean’s Award, 2004 to 2010
International experience and/or work
- Assistant Director, Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC), Bangladesh, 2011 to 2015
Article published in refereed journal-
- Liton, M.M.U.A., McCartney, C.A., Hiebert, C.W., Kumar, S., Jordan, M.C. and Belay, T.A., 2021. Identification of loci for pre-harvest sprouting resistance in the highly dormant spring wheat RL4137. Theoretical Applied Genetics, 134, 113–124. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-020-03685-y
Poster/Presentation presented in refereed conference, seminar and symposium
- M. M. U. A. Liton, Curt A McCartney, Mark C. Jordan and Belay T. Ayele. 19-23 July 2021. RNA-Seq based transcriptomic analysis of pre-harvest sprouting resistance in red spring wheat. Plant Biology World Summit.
- M. M. U. A. Liton, Curt A McCartney, Colin Hiebert, Mark C. Jordan and Belay T. Ayele. 5-6 March 2021. Analysis of genetic control for pre-harvest sprouting resistance in a doubled haploid population of Canadian red spring wheat. 36th Plant Science Graduate Student Symposium.
- M. M. U. A. Liton, Mark C. Jordan, Curt A McCartney, Colin Hiebert and Belay T. Ayele. 21-26 July 2019. Identification of quantitative trait loci conferring resistance to pre-harves sprouting in Canadian red spring wheat using high-density SNP based linkage map. 1st International Wheat Congress.
- M. M. U. A. Liton, Mark C. Jordan, Curt A McCartney, Colin Hiebert and Belay T. Ayele. 19-22 November 2018. Mapping QTLs for pre-harvest sprouting resistance in red spring wheat. 4th Canadian Wheat Symposium.