Tannis L. Beardmore
Current research and/or projects
My studies at university were in agriculture and I worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Petawawa National Research Forest (formerly Petawawa National Research Centre). I really liked working in forestry and there were opportunities for developing my career in this area. That was over 20 years ago and I am still will the Canadian Forest Service. I have always enjoyed working outside and I find my work takes me into beautiful areas that I otherwise might not be able to see. My research now focuses on the conservation of forest genetic resources.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Coordination & dissemination of genetic resources knowledge.
- Gene identification for trees in future climates and with novel potential economic value.
- Ecological risk assessment, and the synthesis of information for national and international reporting on genetic diversity.
- Ex situ conservation of native tree species.
Professional activities / interests
Chair of the Conservation of Forest Genetic Resources in Canada (CONFORGEN) Steering Committee.
Associate Editor for the Canadian Journal of Forest Research.
Education and awards
B.Sc., University of Guelph, 1984.
M.Sc., University of Guelph, 1987.
Ph.D., University of Guelph, 1991.
- Beardmore, T.; Vargas Hernández, J.; Johnson, R.; López-Upton, J.; Williams, M. 2015. North America: Regional Synthesis on the State of the World’s Forest Genetic Resources. In Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. The State of the World’s Forest Genetic Resources. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- Williams, M.; Lowndes, L.; Regan, S.; Beardmore, T. 2015. Overexpression of CYCD1;2 in activation-tagged Populus tremuloides x Populus alba results in decreased cell size and altered leaf morphology. Tree Genetics and Genomes. 11: 66-71. doi:10.1007/s11295-015-0895-5.
- Roe, A.D.; MacQuarrie, C.J.K.; Gros-Louis, M.-C.; Simpson, J.D.; Lamarche, J.; Beardmore, T.; Thompson, S.L.; Tanguay, P.; Isabel, N. 2014. Fitness dynamics within a poplar hybrid zone: I. Prezygotic and postzygotic barriers impacting a native poplar hybrid stand. Ecol. Evol. 4:1629-1647. doi:10.1002/ece3.1029 .
- Roe, A.D.; MacQuarrie, C.J.K.; Gros-Louis, M.-C.; Simpson, J.D.; Lamarche, J.; Beardmore, T.; Thompson, S.L.; Tanguay, P.; Isabel, N. 2014. Fitness dynamics within a poplar hybrid zone: II. Impact of exotic sex on native poplars in an urban jungle. Ecol. Evol. 4:1876-1889. doi:10.1002/ece3.1028.
- Plett, J. M.; Williams, M.; LeClair, G.; Regan, S.; Beardmore, T. 2014. Heterologous over-expression of ACCSYNTHASE8 (ACS8) in Populus tremula x P. albaclone 717-1B4 results in elevated levels of ethylene and induces stem dwarfism and reduced leaf size through separate genetic pathways. Frontiers in Plant Science, November 5: 514. doi:10.3389/fpls.2014.00514.