Current research and/or projects
I served for 12 years with Canadian iron ore industry as a research engineer and later a lab supervisor engaging in iron ore beneficiation and chemical analysis. In 1982, I joined Energy, Mines and Resources Canada (now Natural Resources Canada), Ottawa, as research scientist. In 1994, I was on secondment for one year at Syncrude Research, Edmonton. In 1995, I was transferred to the Natural Centre for Upgrading Technology (NCUT), Devon, Alberta. From 2010 to present, I continued research at CanmetEnergy. My public life dealt mostly with oil sands bitumen in areas of primary and secondary upgrading and refining.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Quality improvement of HGOs from various origins including oil sand, oil shale, and resids, through different processes such as hydrocracking, hydrotreating, and solvent deasphalting.
- Bitumen distillate narrow cut study and direct cracking of heavy distillate from oil sands.
- Elucidation of cracking chemistry through advanced characterization such as GC-MS and PIONA.
- Conversions of shale oil, tight oil, biomass, and plastic wastes for transportation fuels and petrochemicals through catalytic cracking, pyrolysis, and microwave-assisted technology.
- Partial upgrading of bitumen to reduce or eliminate the use of diluents and enhance the competitiveness of oil sands industry.
Professional activities / interests
- Student supervision
- Participation in committees (ISO on Iron Ores and ASTM on Catalysts)
- Networking with oil industry, research institutes, and academia.
Education and awards
BSc. in Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University, 1964.
Ph. D. in Physical Chemistry, University of New Brunswick, 1970.
Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of New Brunswick, 2016.
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2013.
NRCan Departmental Merit Award, 2011 and 2006.
Innovation and Energy Technology Sector Merit Award, 2009.
Energy Technology and Programs Sector Merit Award, 2005.
Federal Partners in Technology Transfer (NRC) Leadership Award, 2005.
CANMET Business Development Award, 1992.
Iron Ore Company of Canada Merit Awards (1975, 1978, 1979, 1980).
- Ng, S.H., Shi, Y., Heshka, N.E., Zhang, Y., Little, E. “Laboratory Production of Biofuels and Biochemicals from a Rapeseed Oil through Catalytic Cracking Conversion”, Journal of Visualized Experiments, paper (including video) in press, 2016.
- Ng, S.H., Al-Sabawia, M., Wang, J., Ling, H., Zheng, Y., Wei, Q., Ding, F., Little, E. “FCC Coprocessing Oil Sands Heavy Gas Oil and Canola Oil. 1. Yield Structure”, Fuel, 2015, 156: 163–176.
- Ng, S.H., Fairbridge, C., Mutyala, S., Liu, Y., Bélanger, J.M.R., Paré, J.R.J. “Microwave-Assisted Conversion of Ethane to Ethylene”, Appl Petrochem Res, 2013, 3:55–61.
- Ng, S.H., Dabros, T., Humphries, A. “Fluid Catalytic Cracking Quality Improvement of Bitumen after Paraffinic Froth Treatment”, Energy & Fuels, 2007, 21(3): 1432–1441.
- Ng, S.H., Zhu, Y., Humphries, A., Nakajima, N., Tsai, T. Y.R., Ding, F., Ling, H., and Yui, S. “Key Observations from a Comprehensive FCC Study on Canadian Heavy Gas Oils from Various Origins. 1. Yield Profiles in Batch Reactors”, Fuel Processing Technology, 2006, 87: 475–485.
- Ng, S.H., Humphries, A., Fairbridge, C., Zhu, Y., Khulbe, C., Tsai, T., Y.R., Ding, F., Charland, J-P., and Yui, S. “Comparisons of FCC Product Yields and Qualities between Reactors Using Canadian Heavy Feeds”, Fuel Processing Technology, 2005, 86: 1335–1350.
- Ng, S.H., Wang, J., Fairbridge, C., Zhu, Y.X., Zhu, Y.J., Yang, L., Ding, F., and Yui, S. “Study of Canadian FCC Feeds from Various Origins and Treatments. 2. Some Specific Cracking Characteristics and Comparisons of Product Yields and Qualities between a Riser Reactor and a MAT Unit”, Energy & Fuels, 2004, 18(1): 172–187.
- Ng, S.H., Wang, J., Fairbridge, C., Zhu, Y., Yang, L., Ding, F., and Yui, S. “Study of Canadian FCC Feeds from Various Origins and Treatments. 1. Ranking of Feedstocks Based on Feed Quality and Product Distribution”, Energy & Fuels, 2004, 18(1): 160–171.
- Ng, S.H., Zhu, Y., Humphries, A., Zheng, L., Ding, F., Yang, L., and Yui, S.,“FCC Study of Canadian Oil-Sands Derived Vacuum Gas Oils. 2. Effects of Feedstocks and Catalysts on Distributions of Sulfur and Nitrogen in Liquid Products”, Energy & Fuels, 2002, 16(5): 1209–1221.
- Ng, S.H., Zhu, Y., Humphries, A., Zheng, L., Ding, F., Gentzis, T., Charland, J-P., and Yui, S. “FCC Study of Canadian Oil-Sands Derived Vacuum Gas Oils. 1. Feed and Catalyst Effects on Yield Structure”, Energy & Fuels, 2002, 16(5): 1196–1208.
Adjunct professor, Beijing Institute of Petrochemical Technology, China.
Member of the editorial board, Acta Petrolei Sinica (petroleum processing).
Voting member, American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International, Committee D-32 (on catalysts).
Professional Engineer, Order of Engineers of Quebec.
Professional Chemist, Order of Chemists of Quebec.