Shamik K. Ray
Current research and/or projects
I am a process metallurgist with expertise in iron & steel processing. I hold advanced knowledge of application of physical & mathematical modelling techniques in the field of metallurgical processing operations. Prior to joining at NRCAN, I worked as Post-Doctoral Fellow at McMaster University. Before my graduate studies, I also worked in Blast Furnace iron production in an integrated steel plant for more than ten years.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Fuel injection in Blast Furnace ironmaking.
- Experimental evaluation;
- Mathematical modelling.
- Use of bio material in ironmaking & steelmaking.
Professional activities / interests
Advisor of Process Metallurgy and Modelling Group at the University of Toronto.
Look to collaborate with graduate and under graduate students.
- Interests: Application of physical and mathematical modelling techniques in the field of iron and steel processing.
Education and awards
Ph.D. Process Metallurgy, McGill University.
MEng Process Metallurgy, McGill University.
BE Metallurgical Engineering, B.E. College, Calcutta University, India.
Dean's Doctoral Student Research Recruitment Award (DDSRRA), McGill University, 2006.
Hatch Graduate Fellowship in engineering, McGill University, 2008.
- Evaluation of PCI coals in new injection facility at CanmetENERGY-OTTAWA; Shamik Ray, L. Giroux, T. MacPhee, K. W. Ng & T. W. Todoschuck, AISTech 2015 Proceedings, Vol-1, 926 – 937.
- Carbon Injection Rate for Optimum Electric Arc Furnace Slags Foaming; T. Zhu, K. S. Coley, G. A. Irons and S. K. Ray, AIST 2011 Proceedings, vol-1, 849 - 856.
- Modelling the performance of a 4 strand, 12 tonne, delta-shaped continuous casting tundish fitted with different flow modifying arrangements, for better steel quality; Shamik Kumar Ray, M. Isac, and R.I.L Guthrie. Ironmaking and Steelmaking, April 2011, vol. 38(3), pp 173 – 180. (DOI 10.1179/030192310X12816231892224 )
- A comparative study of isothermal and non-isothermal modeling of flows in tundishes; Shamik Kumar Ray, M. Isac, R.I.L. Guthrie and M. Gagne, AISTech 2009 Proceedings,Vol-1, 1151–1162.
- Modeling of Tundish Slag Entrainment During Ladle Changes; Shamik Kumar Ray, M. Isac, R.I.L Guthrie, A. Beaulieu, and M. Gagne, AISTech 2008 Proceedings, Vol-2.