Sean R. Asselin, Ph.D.
Dr. Sean Asselin is a perennial forage breeder with AAFC Swift Current. His program is focused on breeding adapted native forages and dual-use grain & forage crops using both classical and molecular biology based breeding approaches to enhance agroecosystem resiliency.
Current research and/or projects
Development of native plant germplasm and cultivars (grasses, legumes and forbs) adapted to Western Canada for forage and reclamation uses
Characterization of the adaptive capacity of native and introduced forage legumes and grasses to abiotic stress (drought and salinity)
Landscape genomics of grassland species
Development of high-throughput plant phenotyping methodology
Dual-use perennial grain-forage crop development for low-input production systems
Professional activities / interests
Plant breeding - perennial forages
Native plant genomics
Quantitative genetics and genotype x environment interactions
Dual-use perennial grain-forage crop development
Education and awards
- Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Manitoba
- M.Sc. Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Manitoiba
- B.Sc. Biology, University of Winnipeg
- B.A.(Hons) Physical Anthropology, University of Winnipeg
- Asselin, Sean R., Anita L. Brûlé-Babel, David L. Van Tassel, and Douglas J. Cattani. "Genetic analysis of domestication parallels in annual and perennial sunflowers (Helianthus spp.): routes to crop development." Frontiers in plant science (2020): 834.
- Asselin, Sean R., Anita L. Brûlé-Babel, and Douglas J. Cattani. "Genetic Characterization of Maximilian Sunflower for the Development of a Locally Adapted Perennial Grain Oilseed." Crop Science 58.6 (2018): 2241-2260.
- Cattani, Douglas J., and Sean R. Asselin. "Has selection for grain yield altered intermediate wheatgrass?." Sustainability 10.3 (2018): 688.
- Cattani, Douglas J., and Sean R. Asselin. "Extending the growing season: forage seed production and perennial grains." Canadian journal of plant science 98.2 (2017): 235-246.
Member of the Canadian Society of Agronomy
Member of the American Society of Agronomy
Member of the Crop Science Society of America
Member of the Soil Science Society of America
Member of the Canadian Society of Botany
- Member of the American Society of Botany