I'm currently a research engineer at CanmetENERGY/Natural Resources Canada in Varennes in Quebec. I hold a master's degree in energy engineering with a renewable energy option from Polytechnique Montreal and a general engineering degree from the french engineering school IMT Mines Alès.
With the help of a simulation software and test data, I conduct analyses with different Canadian climates and house models on the impact of replacing a given heating system with heat pumps.
These studies allow a better understanding of the energy savings, energy bill and greenhouse gas emissions that can be achieved with these heating and cooling systems during the year.
Current research and/or projects
I participate in the development of simulations and tools to better understand the impacts of implementing heat pumps in buildings.
Research and/or project statements
- Analyze the impact of cold climate heat pumps on peak electrical demand, energy savings, energy bills and greenhouse gas emissions in Canada.
- Evaluate the energy savings potential of a geothermal heat pump system in a large two-story house in Canada.
- Participate in the development of a tool to select the most appropriate high temperature heat pump system solutions for the renovation of typical federal buildings.
- Assist colleagues in test bench experiments of a cold climate air-source heat pump and a ground-source heat pump.
Professional activities / interests
- Disseminate energy analysis results through scientific journal and newspaper articles, media interviews and conferences.
- Participate in conferences in the building energy field.
Education and awards
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) in energy engineering with renewable energy option, Polytechnique Montreal, 2020
- Engineering degree in energy and environment, National Engineering School IMT Mines Alès, 2020
- Mombelet - Vodentcharoff Award for academic excellence at National Engineering School IMT Mines Alès, 2018
International experience and/or work
Assistant Business Engineer - Vinci Energies - Montpellier - France, 2018
- Organize and plan the progress of an anti-terrorist bollard installation site with analysis and budgeting of reinforced concrete foundations.
- Research, imagine, budget and realize a presentation of innovative public lighting and energy saving recommendations for a small town.
- Contact suppliers, conduct price studies and write quotations.
- Participate in site meetings with clients and subcontractors.
Research and development consultant - La Gerbe - Alès - France, 2018
- Propose an energy mix in a team of three to supply hot and dry air to a food dehydrator in a training center in N'Tolo, Cameroon.
- Model in Excel, evaluate the economic, social and environmental impacts of several solutions and develop appropriate comparison criterias.
- Compare and presente the possible solutions in a report and a presentation and suggest the one that seems the most relevant.
Organization Consultant - Mercadier - Aix-en-Provence - France, 2017
- Provide recommendations to improve the structural and functional organization and redistribute tasks following the departure of an employee.
- Propose and partially implement a 5S method for the storage area and the paint manufacturing process.
- Write a report and make a presentation to the head of the company.
Intern worker / international solidarity - ISF France - N'Tolo - Cameroon, 2017
- Make reinforced concrete for the foundations of a training center for the installation and maintenance of solar panels, assembly of the reinforcement by hand.
- Carry out surveys in order to propose concrete and sustainable solutions to meet the needs of the inhabitants of the village.
Mollier, S., Deslauriers, C.A., Tamasauskas, J., Breton, S., & Kegel, M. , 2022. “Peak Electrical Demand Impacts of Air-Source Heat Pumps in Canadian Residential Buildings”. 2022 ASHRAE Annual Conference. Toronto, ON, Canada, paper TO-22-C042.
Tamasauskas, J., Mollier, S., & Kegel, M. , 2023. "Assessing the peak demand implications of air-source heat pumps in Canada and identifying potential mitigation strategies". 14th IEA Heat Pump Conference. Chicago, IL, USA.
Mollier, S., Deslauriers, C.-A., Tamasauskas, J., Prud’homme, S., & Kegel, M. , 2023. "Simulating the Electrical Demand Variations of Air-Source Heat Pumps in Canadian Single-Family Housing". Science and Technology for the Built Environment. https://doi.org/10.1080/23744731.2023.2234226
- Polytechnique Montreal (Quebec)
- National Engineering School IMT Mines Alès (France)