Sandra Yanni, Ph.D.
Developing a research program in energy and irrigation system science to decrease the energy intensity/footprint of Canadian farming systems in irrigated agriculture. Exploring alternative energy and water sources while sustaining agricultural production and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Current research and/or projects
Research focused on energy and water efficiencies in agriculture and investigating water-energy-food nexus interlinkages.
Research and/or project statements
- Habtewold, J. B.L. Helgason, S.F. Yanni, H.H. Janzen, B.H. Ellert, and E.G. Gregorich. 2021. Warming effects on the structure of bacterial and fungal communities in diverse soils. Applied Soil Ecology, Vol 163, 103973 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2021.103973
- Yanni, S.F., A. De Laporte, P. Rajsic, C. Wagner-Riddle, A. Weersink. 2020. The environmental and economic efficacy of on-farm beneficial management practices for mitigating soil-related greenhouse gas emissions in Ontario, Canada. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, Online First Nov 26, 2020. doi:10.1017/S1742170520000320.
- Habtewold, J. B.L. Helgason, S.F. Yanni, H.H. Janzen, B.H. Ellert, and E.G. Gregorich. 2020. Litter composition has stronger influence on the structure of soil fungal than bacterial communities. European Journal of Soil Biology, 98: 103190.
- Yanni, S.F., B.L. Helgason, H.H. Janzen, B.H. Ellert, and E.G. Gregorich. 2020. Warming effects on carbon dynamics and microbial communities in soils of diverse texture. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 140: 107631.
- Yanni, S.F., A. Diochon, B.L. Helgason, B.H. Ellert, and E.G. Gregorich. 2018. Temperature response of plant residue and soil organic matter decomposition in soil from different depths. European Journal of Soil Science, 69: 325-335.
- Yanni, S.F., H.H. Janzen, E.G. Gregorich, B.H. Ellert, F.J. Larney, B.M. Olson, F. Zvomuya. 2016. Convergence of Organic Carbon in Diverse Soils after a 21-Year Field Bioassay. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 80: 1653 – 1662.
- Gregorich, E.G., A.W. Gillespie, M.H. Beare, D. Curtin, H. Sanei, and S.F. Yanni. 2015. Evaluating biodegradability of soil organic matter by its thermal stability and chemical composition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 91: 182 – 191.
- Yanni, S.F., E. Suddick, and J. Six. 2015. Photodegradation effects on CO2 emissions from litter and SOM and photo-facilitation of microbial decomposition in a California grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 91: 40 – 49.
- Whalen, J.K., S. Gul, V. Poirier, S.F. Yanni, M.J. Simpson, J.S. Clemente, X. Feng, S.J. Grayston, J. Barker, K. Ishimaru, E.G. Gregorich, D.A. Angers, P. Rochette, and H.H. Janzen. 2014. Transforming plant carbon into soil carbon: process-level controls on carbon sequestration. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 94:1065 – 1073.
- Sheibani, S., S.F. Yanni, R. Wilhelm, J.K. Whalen, L. Whyte, C. Greer, and C. Madramootoo. 2013. Soil bacteria and archaea found in long-term corn (Zea mays L.) agroecosystems in Quebec, Canada. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 93:45 – 57.
- Clemente, J.S., M.J. Simpson, A.J. Simpson, S.F. Yanni, and J.K. Whalen. 2013. Comparison of soil organic matter composition after incubation with maize leaves, roots, and stems. Geoderma, 192:86 – 96.
- Whitman, T., S.F. Yanni, and J.K. Whalen. 2011. Life cycle assessment of corn stover production for cellulosic ethanol in Quebec. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 91:997 – 1012.
- Yanni, S.F., J.K. Whalen, and B.L. Ma. 2011. Field-grown Bt and non-Bt corn: yield, chemical composition, and decomposition. Agronomy Journal, 103:486 – 493.
- Yanni, S.F., J.K. Whalen, B.L. Ma, and Y. Gelinas. 2011. European corn borer injury effects on lignin, carbon, and nitrogen in corn tissues. Plant and Soil, 341:165 – 177.
- Yanni, S.F., J.K. Whalen, M.J. Simpson, and H.H. Janzen. 2011. Plant lignin and nitrogen contents control carbon dioxide production and nitrogen mineralization in soils incubated with Bt and non-Bt corn residues. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43:63 – 69.
- Yanni, S.F., J.K. Whalen, and B.L. Ma. 2009. Crop residue chemistry, decomposition rates, and CO2 evolution in Bt and non-Bt corn agroecosystems in North America. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 87(2): 277 – 293.
- Gul, S., S.F.Yanni, J.K. Whalen. 2014. Lignin Controls on Soil Ecosystem Services: Implications for Biotechnological Advances in Biofuel Crops. In: Lignin: Structural Analysis, Applications in Biomaterials and Ecological Significance, Nova Science Publishers Inc., New York. pp. 375 – 416.
- Yanni, S.F., Bachour, R., Daher, B., Koo-Oshima, S., and Mohtar, R. 2021. A Nexus trade-offs analysis of water, energy, food, nutrition and feedback to the environment in Lebanon. IWRA 2021 Online Conference, June 7-9.
- Yanni, S.F., Bachour, R., Daher, B., Koo-Oshima, S., and Mohtar, R. 2021. A Water-Energy-Food Nexus approach for evaluating the sustainability of the plant-based Mediterranean-inspired diet: The Case of Lebanon. International Symposium for Farming Systems Design Webinar, March 22, 2021.
- Koo-Oshima, S., Yanni, S.F., Bachour, R., Daher, B., and Mohtar, R. 2021. A Water-Energy-Food Nexus approach for evaluating the sustainability of the plant-based Mediterranean-inspired diet: The Case of Lebanon. FAO Water-Energy-Food Nexus webinar series, Series 3, March 2, 2021.
- Yanni, S.F., P. Rajsic, C. Wagner-Riddle, and A. Weersink. Best management practices for Greenhouse Gas Mitigation in Ontario Cropland – Synthesis of Knowledge. Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Soil Science. June 10 – 14, 2018, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- Yanni S.F., H.H. Janzen, E.G. Gregorich, B.H. Ellert, F.J. Larney, B.M. Olson, F. Zvomuya. Convergence of organic carbon in diverse soils after a 21-year field bioassay. Annual Meeting of the ASA, CSSA, SSSA. Nov. 15 – 18, 2015, Minneapolis, MN.
- Gillabel, J., S.F. Yanni, A.A. Berhe, R. Merckx, J. Six. 2011. Controlling factors on temperature sensitivity of soil respiration at the soil profile scale. Annual Meeting of the ASA, CSSA, and SSSA. Oct. 16 – 19, 2011, San Antonio, Texas.
- Yanni, S.F., J.K. Whalen, M.J. Simpson, H.H. Janzen. 2010. Plant lignin and nitrogen contents control carbon dioxide production and nitrogen mineralization from soils incubated with Bt and non-Bt corn residues. International Annual Meeting of the ASA, CSSA, and SSSA. Oct. 31 – Nov. 3, 2010, Long Beach, California.
Education and awards
- Ph.D. in Renewable Resources (Soil Science), McGill University, Quebec, Canada
- M.Sc. in Irrigation Science, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- B.Sc. in Agriculture, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
International experience and/or work
- Assistant Professor of Agroecology/Soil/Water at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon (2019-2021)
Teaching land and water resources courses and research on conservation agricultural practices in semi-arid conditions.
- Post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Plant Sciences, UC Davis, California, USA (2011-2012)
Research on photodegradation and CO2 emissions from soils in a dry grassland ecosystem.
Yanni, S.F., Whalen, J.K., and Ma, B.-L. (2009). "Crop residue chemistry, decomposition rates, and CO₂ evolution in Bt and non-Bt corn agroecosystems in North America: a review.", Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 87(2), pp. 277-293. doi : 10.1007/s10705-009-9338-82010 - View publication details
Yanni, S.F., Six, J., Whalen, J.K., Ma, B.-L. (2008). "Soil carbon sequestration potential of Bt corn agroecosystems in North America.", Plants and Soils: Montreal '08: Joint meeting of the CSHS, CSA and Northeastern Branch ASA-CSSA-SSSA, McGill University, Montréal, QC, Canada, July 13-16, 2008. (Poster)2008 - View publication details