Pourya Shahpoury, Ph.D.
Current research and/or projects
Field and laboratory measurements to understand the inhalation toxicity of organic and inorganic air pollutants
- Oxidative burden and inhalation toxicity of fine and ultrafine particulate matter from National Air Pollution Surveillance network
- Effects of emission sources and atmospheric processes on environmental cycling and toxicity of aerosols
- Effects of chemical composition and physical properties of inhalable aerosols on oxidation of lung antioxidants and formation of reactive oxygen species
- Development of methods to study nitrated and oxygenated aromatic species and soot particles in the atmosphere
Professional activities / interests
Collaborating with colleagues at universities and research institutes in Canada and Europe
Education and awards
Ph.D. - Department of Chemistry, University of Otago, New Zealand
International experience and/or work
Research Scientist – Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, Mainz, Germany (2013-2017)
Shahpoury, P., Harner, T., Lammel, G., Lelieveld, S., Tong, H., Wilson, J.: Development of an antioxidant assay to study oxidative potential of airborne particulate matter, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-2019-220, in press, 2019
- Shahpoury, P., Kitanovski, Z., Lammel, G.: “Snow scavenging and phase partitioning of nitrated and oxygenated aromatic hydrocarbons in polluted and remote environments in central Europe and European Arctic”, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, in press, 2017-1242, 2018.
- Lammel, G., Mulder, M. D., Shahpoury, P., Kukučka, P., Lišková, H., Přibylová, P., Prokeš, R., Wotawa, G.: “Nitro-polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons – gas-particle partitioning, mass size distribution, and formation along transport in marine and continental background air”, Atmospheric Chemistry & Physics 17, 6257-6270, 2017.
- Shahpoury, P., Lammel, G., Albinet, A., Sofuoǧlu, A., Dumanoğlu, Y., Sofuoǧlu, S.C., Wagner, Z., Zdimal, V.: “Evaluation of a conceptual model for gas-particle partitioning of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons using poly-parameter linear free energy relationships”, Environmental Science & Technology 50, 12312–12319, 2016.
- Tomaz, S., Shahpoury, P., Jaffrezo, J.L., Lammel, G., Perraudin, E., Villenave, E., Albinet, A.: “One-year study of polycyclic aromatic compounds at an urban site in Grenoble (France): seasonal variations, gas/particle partitioning and cancer risk estimation”, Science of The Total Environment 565, 1071-1083, 2016.
- Shahpoury, P., Lammel, G., Holubová Šmejkalová, A., Klánová, J., Přibylová, P., and Váňa, M.: “Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls, and chlorinated pesticides in background air in central Europe – investigating parameters affecting wet scavenging of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons”, Atmospheric Chemistry & Physics 15, 1795-1805, 2015.
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, Mainz, Germany
German Association for Aerosol Research