Philip Soladoye, Ph.D.
Value-added Meat Co-products and Food Waste Reduction
Research and/or project statements
- Utilization of Meat Co-products
- Innovation in Food Waste Reduction
- Value added Meat Byproducts
Education and awards
- Doctor of Philosophy in Food Science (Meat Science Major), 2017: University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
- Master of Science in Food Science and Technology, 2012: University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Master of Science in Food of Animal Origin, 2012: Universitat Autonoma De Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Technology, 2007: University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
- Reciprocal Meat Science Conference, San Angelo, TX, USA. Graduate student research competition award (First runner up), (2016)
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, Department of Food and Bioproduct Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, (2016).
- O. M. Elviss Post-Graduate Scholarship in Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan, (2015).
- Percy Gitleman Memorial Scholarship, Canadian Meat Science Association, (2015).
- Devolved scholarship, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan, (2014, 2016).
- Graduate Research Funding, Canadian Beef Grading Agency, (2013).
- Graduate Student Travel Scholarship Award, International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, (2012). Montreal, Canada.
- European Union Scholarship (Erasmus Mundus Food of Life Scholarship) (2010).
- Graduating Student with the best final year project in the Department of Food Science and Technology, UNAAB, Nigeria (2007).
- Graduating Student with the overall best result in General Studies, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria (2007).
- University Senate Award for Graduating Students with First Class Grade, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria (2007).
- Undergraduate Federal Government Merit Scholarship, Nigeria (2002).
International experience and/or work
- Sensory Scientist (Ag), Food Processing Development Centre, Agriculture and Forestry, Government of Alberta, Leduc, Alberta, Canada.
- Sensory Technologist, Food Processing Development Centre, Agriculture and Forestry, Government of Alberta, Leduc, Alberta, Canada.
- Programme Coordinator (MEaTnet), Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
- Food Safety/Quality Assurance Officer/Intern, Vantage Foods Inc., Belleville, Ontario, Canada.
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Food Service and Tourism, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
- Research and Development Intern, Gallina Blanca Star, Barcelona, Spain. Research and Development Department.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Popoola, I.O., Soladoye, O.P., Guadette, N.J., Wismer, W.N. (2021). A Review of Sensory and Consumer-related Factors Influencing the Acceptance of Red Meats from Alternative Animal Species. Food Reviews International, 1-20.
- Soladoye, O.P., Pietrasik, Z (2021). Functionality and consumer acceptability of low-fat breakfast sausages processed with selected pulse flours and fractions. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. In Print.
- Fu, Y., Wang, B., Bak, K.H., Soladoye, O.P., Aluko, R.E., (2021). Insights into formation, detection and removal of the beany flavor in soybean protein. Trends in Food Science and Technology. Under Review.
- Fu, Y., Liu. W., Soladoye O.P. (2021). The stability and bioactivities of flavonoid compounds: from the viewpoint of innovative food processing technologies. LWT-Food Science and Technology. Under Review.
- Fu, Y., Lu, Y., Zhang, Y., Wang, J., Soladoye, O.P., Aluko, R. (2021). Preparation, receptors, bioactivity and bioavailability of γ-glutamyl peptides: A comprehensive review. Trends in Food Science and Technology. Under Review.
- Fu, Y., Shi, J., Xie, S., Zhang, T., Soladoye, O.P., Aluko, R.E. (2020). Red Beetroot Betalains: Perspectives on Extraction, Processing, and Potential Health Benefits. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2020 68 (42), 11595-11611.
- Soladoye, O.P., Lam, S., Prieto Benavides, N., Uttaro, B., Aalhus, J.L., Larsen, I.L., Phyllis, S., Gariepy, C., Juárez, M. (2020). Performance of near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy in pork shoulder as a predictor for pork belly softness. Canadian Journal of Animal Science. doi.org/10.1139/CJAS-2020-0049.
- Soladoye, O.P., Betti, M., Pietrasik, Z (2020). The effect of glucosamine and glucosamine caramel on quality and consumer acceptability of regular and reduced salt breakfast sausages. Meat Science, 172. 108310.
- Pietrasik, Z., Soladoye, O.P. (2020). Use of native pea starches as an alternative to modified corn starch in low fat bologna. Meat Science. 171, 108283. Pietrasik, Z., Sigvaldson, M., Soladoye, O.P., Gaudette, N.J. (2020). Utilization of pea starch and fibre fractions for replacement of wheat crump in beef burgers. Meat Science. 161: 107974.
- Fu, Y., Liu, W., Soladoye, O.P. (2020). Towards potato protein: Insights into separation, functionality and bioactivity of patatin. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 55: 2314-2322.
- Fu, Y., Zhang, Y., Soladoye, O.P., Aluko, R.E. (2020). Maillard reaction products derived from proteinderived peptides: Insights into flavour and bioactivity. Critical Review in Food Science and Nutrition. 60: 3429-3442.
- Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Prieto, N., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., Robert, J.C., Lopez-Campos, O., Juárez, M. (2018). Potential of near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in predicting pork belly softness. Meat Science. 142: 1-4.
- Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Dugan, M.E.R., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Estévez, M., Juárez, M. (2017). Influence of cooking methods and storage time on lipid and protein oxidation and heterocyclic aromatic amines production in bacon. Food Research International. 99: 660-669.
- Soladoye, O.P., Uttaro, B., Zawadski, S., Dugan, M.E.R., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Shand, P., Juárez, M. (2017). Compositional and dimensional factors influencing pork belly firmness. Meat Science. 129: 54-61.
- Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Aalhus, J.L., Claude G. Juárez, M.L. (2016). Accuracy of Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA) in assessing carcass composition from different pig populations. Meat Science. 121: 310-316.
- Soladoye, O.P., Juárez, M.L., Aalhus, J.L., Shand, P. and Estévez, M. (2015). Protein Oxidation in Processed Meat: Mechanisms and Potential Implications on Human Health. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 14: 106–122.
- Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Aalhus, J.L., Claude G. Juárez, M.L. (2015). Pork belly quality and bacon properties and recent consumer trend. Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 95: 325-340.
- Soladoye, O.P., Mor-Mor, M., Saldo, J., Rovira, A., Peiro L. (2015). Identification of Peptide Fractions with Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitory Function and Antioxidant Function from Chicken Collagen Hydrolysates. Journal of Nutrition and Food Science, 5: 1-9.
- Soladoye, O.P., Pietrasik, Z. (2018). Utilizing high pressure processing for extended shelf life meat products. Reference Module in Food Science (pp. 1-8). Elsevier Inc.
- Estévez, M., Li, Z., Soladoye, O. P., & Van-Hecke, T. (2017). Health risks of food oxidation. In F. Toldrá (Ed.), Advances in Food and Nutrition Research (pp. 45-81). London: Academic Press.
- Soladoye, O.P (2020). Meat and meat products processing. Food Science and Technology. Trends and Future Prospects. Chapter: 5. De Gruyter.