Philip Soladoye, Ph.D.
Value-added Meat Co-products and Food Waste Reduction
Research and/or project statements
- Utilization of Meat Co-products
- Innovation in Food Waste Reduction
- Value added Meat Byproducts
Education and awards
- Doctor of Philosophy in Food Science (Meat Science Major), 2017: University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
- Master of Science in Food Science and Technology, 2012: University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Master of Science in Food of Animal Origin, 2012: Universitat Autonoma De Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Technology, 2007: University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
- Reciprocal Meat Science Conference, San Angelo, TX, USA. Graduate student research competition award (First runner up), (2016)
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, Department of Food and Bioproduct Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, (2016).
- O. M. Elviss Post-Graduate Scholarship in Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan, (2015).
- Percy Gitleman Memorial Scholarship, Canadian Meat Science Association, (2015).
- Devolved scholarship, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan, (2014, 2016).
- Graduate Research Funding, Canadian Beef Grading Agency, (2013).
- Graduate Student Travel Scholarship Award, International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, (2012). Montreal, Canada.
- European Union Scholarship (Erasmus Mundus Food of Life Scholarship) (2010).
- Graduating Student with the best final year project in the Department of Food Science and Technology, UNAAB, Nigeria (2007).
- Graduating Student with the overall best result in General Studies, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria (2007).
- University Senate Award for Graduating Students with First Class Grade, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria (2007).
- Undergraduate Federal Government Merit Scholarship, Nigeria (2002).
International experience and/or work
- Sensory Scientist (Ag), Food Processing Development Centre, Agriculture and Forestry, Government of Alberta, Leduc, Alberta, Canada.
- Sensory Technologist, Food Processing Development Centre, Agriculture and Forestry, Government of Alberta, Leduc, Alberta, Canada.
- Programme Coordinator (MEaTnet), Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
- Food Safety/Quality Assurance Officer/Intern, Vantage Foods Inc., Belleville, Ontario, Canada.
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Food Service and Tourism, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria
- Research and Development Intern, Gallina Blanca Star, Barcelona, Spain. Research and Development Department.
Soladoye, O.P., Prieto, N., Lopez-Campos, O., Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., Roberts, J.C., Larsen, I., Shand, P., Gariépy, C., Juárez, M. (2018). Potential of near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in predicting pork belly softness. Meat Science, [online] 142 1-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.03.0252018 - View publication details
Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Dugan, M.E.R., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Estévez, M., Juárez, M. (2017). Influence of cooking methods and storage time on lipid and protein oxidation and heterocyclic aromatic amines production in bacon. Food Research International, [online] 99 660-669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.06.0292017 - View publication details
Soladoye, O.P., Uttaro, B., Zawadski, S., Dugan, M.E.R., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Shand, P., Juárez, M. (2017). Compositional and dimensional factors influencing pork belly firmness. Meat Science, [online] 129 54-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2017.02.0062017 - View publication details
Soladoye, P.O., Shand, P.J., Aalhus, J.L., Gariépy, C., Juárez, M. (2015). Review: Pork belly quality, bacon properties and recent consumer trends. Canadian Journal of Animal Science, [online] 95(3), 325-340. http://dx.doi.org/10.4141/CJAS-2014-1212015 - View publication details