Current research and/or projects
My research activities centre on the larval stages of fish and decapod crustaceans, and on investigation of the processes responsible for the annual variations in recruitment of commercial species. The matter of annual variability of recruitment is approached from several angles, and a number of disciplines (biology, ecology, physiology and oceanography) play a part in my research. Also, my research involves both laboratory experiments and major at-sea missions. I am also interested in the issue of the maternal effect on larval quality and the impact of larval quality on population productivity or recruitment.
Research and/or project statements
- Influence of oceanic conditions on the survival of larval stages and the recruitment of exploited fish and decapod crustacean species.
- Influence of the parental effect (quality of the reproductive adults) on the phenotype and survival chances of the larval stages.
- Ecology and biology of larval stages using an approach that combines laboratory experiments and field work.
- Fisheries oceanography.
Professional activities / interests
- University of Quebec at Chicoutimi
- University of Quebec at Rimouski (UQAR/ISMER)
Education and awards
PhD Oceanography, Dalhousie University, 1993
International experience and/or work
Since 1993: Research scientist, Ocean Sciences Branch, Maurice Lamontagne Institute (Department of Fisheries and Oceans , Quebec Region).
From 1984 to 1988 and 1991 to 1993: Biologist, Marine Fisheries, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Quebec Region.
- Koeller, P. C. Fuentes-Yaco, T. Platt, S. Sathyendranath, A. Richards, P. Ouellet, D. Orr, U. Skúladóttir, K. Wieland, L. Savard, et Aschan,M.. Basin-scale coherence in phenology of shrimps and phytoplankton in the North Atlantic. Science 324 (8 May 2009)
- Ouellet, P., L. Savard et Larouche, P. 2007. Spring oceanographic conditions and northern shrimp (Pandalus borealis) recruitment success in the northwestern Gulf of St. Lawrence. Marine Ecology Progress Series 339: 229-241
- Gendron, L. et Ouellet, P. 2009. Egg development trajectories of early and late spawner lobsters (Homarus americanus) in the Magdalen Islands, Québec. Journal of Crustacean Biology 29 (3). DOI: 10.1651/08-3113.1
- Ouellet, P. et Plante F. 2004. An investigation of the sources of variability in American lobster eggs and larvae size: Maternal effects, and inter-annual and inter-regional comparisons. Journal of Crustacean Biology. 24(3): 481-495
- Ouellet, P., Y. Lambert et Castonguay, M. 1997. Spawning of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) in the Northern Gulf of St Lawrence: a study of egg and adult distributions and characteristics. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54: 198-210
- Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Université du Québec à Rimouski (UQAR/ISMER)