Pamela Joosse, Ph. D.
- Generate, develop and translate data about agricultural production systems and soil and nutrient maangement practices in Ontario and the Lake Erie basin in particular.
- Represent AAFC on bi-national and federal-provincial Great Lakes water quality agreements' nutrient annex committees.
Current research and/or projects
I work to integrate and synthesize agricultural production and environmental scientific knowledge as the evidence to support decision makers in government and in the agricultural sector, particularly for soil and nutrient management in the Lake Erie basin.
Research and/or project statements
- Co-lead of the Ontario Living Laboratories project
- Generating, enhancing and transferring production system and field-scale BMP data in support of Canadian agriculture in the Lake Erie basin
- Integrated nutrient management and mulit-scale BMP assessment for priority Canadian agricultural landscapes
- Utilizing satellite imagery to monitor crop rotations and soil cover
Professional activities / interests
- Research and synthesize knowledge about soil, water and nutrient management practices and adoption
- Advise on inter-agency and international committees for agriculture and environmental issues
- Member of Canada-Ontario Agreement on Great Lakes Water Quality and Ecosystem Health Nutrient Annex Committee
Education and awards
B.Sc.Agr. (Co-op), Natural Resources Management, University of Guelph, 1992
Ph.D., Land Resources Management, University of Guelph, 1998
International experience and/or work
- Co-chair of the Integrative Research Group of the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases
- Member of the Canada-United States Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement Binational Nutrient Annex Committee
Pilger, N., Berg, A., Joosse, P. (2020). Semi-automated roadside image data collection for characterization of agricultural land management practices, 12(14), http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs121423422020 - View publication details
Joosse, P., Laamrani, A., Feisthauer, N. Li, S. 2017. Assessing Vulnerability of Lake Erie Landscapes to Soil Erosion: Modelled and Measured Approaches. GC33D-1103 presented at 2017 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 11-15 Dec.2017 - View publication details
Laamrani, A., Joosse, P., Berg, A., Doris, P., Birchmore, J., Feisthauer, N., Hagerman, J. 2017. Mapping and quantification of soil cover on southern Ontario agricultural fields: Canadian Lake Erie basin. Earth Observation Summit, Montreal, QB, 20-22 June.2017 - View publication details
Joosse, P., Reid, K., Huffman, T. and Feisthauer, N. 2016. Defining and analyzing agricultural production systems to determine the capacity to make soil and nutrient management improvements in the Canadian Lake Erie basin. American Society of Agronomy, Phoenix, AZ November 7-10, 2016.2016 - View publication details
Joosse, P., Reid, K., Huffman, T. Speranzini, D. Feisthauer, N. 2016. "Production system capacity for soil and nutrient management in the Canadian Lake Erie basin" in Proceedings of the 14th European Society for Agronomy Congress, Edinburgh, Sept 5-9.2016 - View publication details
Joosse, P., Speranzini, D., Reid, K., Huffman, E.C., and Feisthauer, N. (2015). "Defining and analyzing agricultural production systems to determine the capacity to make soil and nutrient management improvements in the Canadian Lake Erie Basin.", 70th Soil and Water Conservation Society Conference, Greensboro, NC, USA, July 26-29, 2015.2015 - View publication details
Speranzini, D., Li, V., Joosse, P., Feisthauer, N., Reid, K., Jamieson, A.R., and Handyside, P. (2015). "Calculating Environmental Sustainability Metrics for Ontario Horticultural Production Systems.", Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Soil and Water Conservation Society
International Association of Great Lakes Researchers