Noura Ziadi, Ph.D.
My research program focuses on soil fertility and plant nutrition. More specifically, I’m conducting research to better understand nutrient cycling under different agro-ecosystems. I’m developing technologies, methods, and knowledge for better management of mineral fertilizers by increasing their efficiency of use while reducing their negative environmental impacts. I developed and validated models for phosphorus and nitrogen diagnosis in corn, wheat, potatoes, and timothy production and developed new technologies to ensure effective management of industrial wastes (paper mill biosolids) and biochar.
Current research and/or projects
- Soil phosphorus modelling and transformation
- Development of soil analysis, including for soil phosphorus and nitrogen
- Use of infrared for soil analysis
- Plant- and soil- based diagnostic tools for efficient nitrogen and phosphorus management
- Development of agricultural uses for paper industry residues and biochar
Research and/or project statements
- Soil fertility and plant mineral nutrition
- Nutrient management
- Soil phosphorus and nitrogen cycle
- Improving use of nitrogen and phosphate fertilizers
- Soil analysis methods
Professional activities / interests
- President-Elect, President, Past President, Canadian Society of Soil Science (2017-2019);
- Associate editor for Agronomy Journal (2012-214);
- Associate editor for the Canadian Journal of Soil Science (2011-) ;
- Member of the Canadian society of Soil Science CSSS, Centre SEVE, American society of agronomy and Soil science society of America.
Education and awards
- Ph.D., Crop Science, Laval university, Quebec, Canada, 1999
- M.Sc., Crop Science, Laval university, Quebec, Canada, 1994
- Certificate: International course of specialization in cereal, Reggio Emilia, Italy, 1992;
- B.Sc., Agronomy, École supérieure des grandes cultures, Tunisia, 1986
- Best Associate Editor- Canadian Journal of soil science ( 2017);
- 2015 Fellow from the Canadian Society of soil science;
- 2014 Nominated for the award “Femme de Merite 2014 de YWCA, Quebec” under science and technology section; 2014.
- Award of excellence of outstanding paper from the Canadian J. of Plant science; 2009
- Award of excellence of outstanding paper from the American society of weed science. February 2009.
- Queen’s Jubilee Medal from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, December 2002.
- Award of the best student poster presented during the meeting of the Canadian Society of Soil science in 1999.
- Scholarship from the Canadian Society of Soil Science (Student Travel Award for 1998).
- Scholarship of excellence from the “Formation des Chercheurs et l’Aide à la Recherche (FCAR) ’’ (Ph.D.; 1995 and 1996).
- Scholarship of excellence from the ‘’Fondation de l'Université Laval’’ (Ph.D.; 1994).
- Award of the best student poster presented during the meeting of the “Association Québecoise des spécialistes en science du sol” in 1996
International experience and/or work
Collaboration with France (INRA Bordeaux and Toulouse, U. De Bordeaux), China, Switzerland, Finland, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia;
Training of post-doctoral fellows and graduate students (+40).
Rupngam et al. 2022. The effect of waterlogging on phosphorus solubility caused by redox reaction in wetland soil of the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. CSSS-ASSW 2022, Soil Science for Sustainable Development May 23-27, 2022. Edmonton2022 - View publication details
Marouani, E., Ziadi, N., Lévesque, V., Kolsi Benzina, N., Bouslimi, B., Koubaa, A. (2021). Mitigation of CO2, CH4 and N2O from Acidic Clayey Soil Amended with Fertilizer Pellets Based on Alkaline Organic Residues. Waste Biomass Valorization, [online] 12(7), 3813-3827. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12649-020-01276-y2021 - View publication details
Nyiraneza, J., Bélanger, G., Benjannet, R., Ziadi, N., Cambouris, A., Fuller, K., Hann, S. (2021). Critical phosphorus dilution curve and the phosphorus-nitrogen relationship in potato. European Journal of Agronomy, [online] 123 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2020.1262052021 - View publication details
Lévesque, V., Rochette, P., Hogue, R., Jeanne, T., Ziadi, N., Chantigny, M.H., Dorais, M., Antoun, H. (2020). Greenhouse gas emissions and soil bacterial community as affected by biochar amendments after periodic mineral fertilizer applications. Biology and Fertility of Soils, [online] 56(7), 907-925. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00374-020-01470-z2020 - View publication details
Parent, S.É., Lafond, J., Paré, M.C., Parent, L.E., Ziadi, N. (2020). Conditioning machine learning models to adjust lowbush blueberry crop management to the local agroecosystem. Plants, [online] 9(10), 1-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/plants91014012020 - View publication details
Lévesque, V., Jeanne, T., Dorais, M., Ziadi, N., Hogue, R., Antoun, H. (2020). Biochars improve tomato and sweet pepper performance and shift bacterial composition in a peat-based growing medium. Applied Soil Ecology, [online] 153 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2020.1035792020 - View publication details
Benjannet, R., Nyiraneza, J., Khiari, L., Cambouris, A., Fuller, K., Hann, S., Ziadi, N. (2020). Potato response to struvite compared with conventional phosphorus fertilizer in Eastern Canada. Agronomy Journal, [online] 112(2), 1360-1376. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/agj2.201182020 - View publication details
Wen, G., Cambouris, A.N., Ziadi, N., Bertrand, A., Khelifi, M. (2019). Nitrogen Fertilization Effects on the Composition of Foliar Amino Acids of Russet Burbank Potato. American Journal of Potato Research, [online] 96(6), 541-551. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12230-019-09743-62019 - View publication details
Gagnon, B., Ziadi, N., Bélanger, G., Tremblay, G.F., Parent, G. (2019). Urea-based fertilizer as an efficient nitrogen source in perennial cool-grass forage production. Agronomy Journal, [online] 111(2), 867-880. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/agronj2018.07.04312019 - View publication details
Abdi, D., Cade-Menun, B.J., Ziadi, N., Shi, Y., Bélanger, G., Lajeunesse, J., Lafond, J. (2019). A31 P-NMR spectroscopic study of phosphorus forms in two phosphorus-fertilized grassland soils in Eastern Canada. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 99(2), 161-172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2018-01252019 - View publication details
Lafond, J. et Ziadi, N. 2018. Phosphorus mobility in acidic wild blueberry soils in Québec, Canada. Affiche présentée à la NABREW, 13-14 août, Orono, Maine, USA .2018 - View publication details
Lafond, J. et Ziadi, N. 2018. Mouvement de l’azote et du phosphore dans les sols de bleuetières. Conférence présentée au Congrès annuel de l’AQSSS, 12-15 juin, Québec, QC.2018 - View publication details
Lévesque, V., Rochette, P., Ziadi, N., Dorais, M., Antoun, H. (2018). Mitigation of CO2, CH4 and N2O from a fertigated horticultural growing medium amended with biochars and a compost. Applied Soil Ecology, [online] 126 129-139. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2018.02.0212018 - View publication details
Faubert, P., Lemay-Bélisle, C., Bertrand, N., Bouchard, S., Chantigny, M.H., Durocher, S., Paré, M.C., Rochette, P., Tremblay, P., Ziadi, N., Villeneuve, C. (2017). Greenhouse gas emissions following land application of pulp and paper mill sludge on a clay loam soil. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, [online] 250 102-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.07.0402017 - View publication details
Cambouris, A.N., Messiga, A.J., Ziadi, N., Perron, I., Morel, C. (2017). Decimetric-scale two-dimensional distribution of soil phosphorus after 20 years of tillage management and maintenance phosphorus fertilization, 81(6), 1606-1614. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.03.01012017 - View publication details
Claessens, A., F. Langevin, I. Royer, A. Cambouris, D. Angers, N. Ziadi, and A. Bertrand. 2017.2017 - View publication details
Method for screening Cu, Zn or Pb phytotoxicity on switchgrass and reed canarygrass. ASA-CSSA-SSSA 2017 Tampa 2017/10/22 - 2017/10/25
St. Luce, M., Ziadi, N., Gagnon, B., Lévesque, V. (2017). Prediction of total carbon, total nitrogen, and pH of organic materials using visible near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 98(1), 175-179. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-01092017 - View publication details
Li, H., Mollier, A., Ziadi, N., Shi, Y., Parent, L.É., Morel, C. (2017). The long-term effects of tillage practice and phosphorus fertilization on the distribution and morphology of corn root. Plant and Soil, [online] 412(1-2), 97-114. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11104-016-2925-y2017 - View publication details
Can proximal soil sensors allow us to better control the spatial soil property variability under potato crop?2017 - View publication details
St. Luce, M., Ziadi, N., Gagnon, B., Karam, A. (2017). Visible near infrared reflectance spectroscopy prediction of soil heavy metal concentrations in paper mill biosolid- and liming by-product-amended agricultural soils. Geoderma, [online] 288 23-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2016.10.0372017 - View publication details
- 1 of 12
- next ›
2005-present, Adjunct Professor, Laval University, Quebec.
2012-present, Adjunct Professor, Graduate University Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China.
2016-present, Adjunct Professor, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue.