Noura Ziadi, Ph.D.
My research program focuses on soil fertility and plant nutrition. More specifically, I’m conducting research to better understand nutrient cycling under different agro-ecosystems. I’m developing technologies, methods, and knowledge for better management of mineral fertilizers by increasing their efficiency of use while reducing their negative environmental impacts. I developed and validated models for phosphorus and nitrogen diagnosis in corn, wheat, potatoes, and timothy production and developed new technologies to ensure effective management of industrial wastes (paper mill biosolids) and biochar.
Current research and/or projects
- Soil phosphorus modelling and transformation
- Development of soil analysis, including for soil phosphorus and nitrogen
- Use of infrared for soil analysis
- Plant- and soil- based diagnostic tools for efficient nitrogen and phosphorus management
- Development of agricultural uses for paper industry residues and biochar
Research and/or project statements
- Soil fertility and plant mineral nutrition
- Nutrient management
- Soil phosphorus and nitrogen cycle
- Improving use of nitrogen and phosphate fertilizers
- Soil analysis methods
Professional activities / interests
- President-Elect, President, Past President, Canadian Society of Soil Science (2017-2019);
- Associate editor for Agronomy Journal (2012-214);
- Associate editor for the Canadian Journal of Soil Science (2011-) ;
- Member of the Canadian society of Soil Science CSSS, Centre SEVE, American society of agronomy and Soil science society of America.
Education and awards
- Ph.D., Crop Science, Laval university, Quebec, Canada, 1999
- M.Sc., Crop Science, Laval university, Quebec, Canada, 1994
- Certificate: International course of specialization in cereal, Reggio Emilia, Italy, 1992;
- B.Sc., Agronomy, École supérieure des grandes cultures, Tunisia, 1986
- Best Associate Editor- Canadian Journal of soil science ( 2017);
- 2015 Fellow from the Canadian Society of soil science;
- 2014 Nominated for the award “Femme de Merite 2014 de YWCA, Quebec” under science and technology section; 2014.
- Award of excellence of outstanding paper from the Canadian J. of Plant science; 2009
- Award of excellence of outstanding paper from the American society of weed science. February 2009.
- Queen’s Jubilee Medal from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, December 2002.
- Award of the best student poster presented during the meeting of the Canadian Society of Soil science in 1999.
- Scholarship from the Canadian Society of Soil Science (Student Travel Award for 1998).
- Scholarship of excellence from the “Formation des Chercheurs et l’Aide à la Recherche (FCAR) ’’ (Ph.D.; 1995 and 1996).
- Scholarship of excellence from the ‘’Fondation de l'Université Laval’’ (Ph.D.; 1994).
- Award of the best student poster presented during the meeting of the “Association Québecoise des spécialistes en science du sol” in 1996
International experience and/or work
Collaboration with France (INRA Bordeaux and Toulouse, U. De Bordeaux), China, Switzerland, Finland, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia;
Training of post-doctoral fellows and graduate students (+40).
Lafond, J. et Ziadi, N. 2018. Phosphorus mobility in acidic wild blueberry soils in Québec, Canada. Affiche présentée à la NABREW, 13-14 août, Orono, Maine, USA .2018 - View publication details
Lafond, J. et Ziadi, N. 2018. Mouvement de l’azote et du phosphore dans les sols de bleuetières. Conférence présentée au Congrès annuel de l’AQSSS, 12-15 juin, Québec, QC.2018 - View publication details
Faubert, P., Lemay-Bélisle, C., Bertrand, N., Bouchard, S., Chantigny, M.H., Durocher, S., Paré, M.C., Rochette, P., Tremblay, P., Ziadi, N., Villeneuve, C. (2017). Greenhouse gas emissions following land application of pulp and paper mill sludge on a clay loam soil, 250 102-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2017.07.0402017 - View publication details
Cambouris, A.N., Messiga, A.J., Ziadi, N., Perron, I., Morel, C. (2017). Decimetric-scale two-dimensional distribution of soil phosphorus after 20 years of tillage management and maintenance phosphorus fertilization, 81(6), 1606-1614. http://dx.doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2017.03.01012017 - View publication details
Claessens, A., F. Langevin, I. Royer, A. Cambouris, D. Angers, N. Ziadi, and A. Bertrand. 2017.2017 - View publication details
Method for screening Cu, Zn or Pb phytotoxicity on switchgrass and reed canarygrass. ASA-CSSA-SSSA 2017 Tampa 2017/10/22 - 2017/10/25
St. Luce, M., Ziadi, N., Gagnon, B., Lévesque, V. (2017). Prediction of total carbon, total nitrogen, and pH of organic materials using visible near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy, 98(1), 175-179. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-01092017 - View publication details
Li, H., Mollier, A., Ziadi, N., Shi, Y., Parent, L.É., Morel, C. (2017). The long-term effects of tillage practice and phosphorus fertilization on the distribution and morphology of corn root, 412(1-2), 97-114. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11104-016-2925-y2017 - View publication details
Can proximal soil sensors allow us to better control the spatial soil property variability under potato crop?2017 - View publication details
St. Luce, M., Ziadi, N., Gagnon, B., Karam, A. (2017). Visible near infrared reflectance spectroscopy prediction of soil heavy metal concentrations in paper mill biosolid- and liming by-product-amended agricultural soils, 288 23-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2016.10.0372017 - View publication details
Impact of crop rotations on potato Nitrogen response and soil health. Presentation at the Integrated Potato Project workshop at Fredericton research and development centre, 16th Nov. 2016.2016 - View publication details
Abdi, D., B.J. Cade-Menun, N, Ziadi, Y. Shi, G. Bélanger, J. Lajeunesse, J. Lafond. 2016. Modeling 31P-NMR P forms in Canadian grasslands using compositional analysis with balances. Affiche scientifique présentée au Organic Phosphorus Workshop 2016, 5-9 septembre 2016, Lake District, England.2016 - View publication details
Abdi, D., Cade-Menun, B.J., Ziadi, N., Tremblay, G.F., Parent, L.É. (2016). Visible near infrared reflectance spectroscopy to predict soil phosphorus pools in chernozems of Saskatchewan, Canada, 7(2), 93-101. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geodrs.2016.02.0042016 - View publication details
St. Luce, M., Grant, C.A., Ziadi, N., Zebarth, B.J., O'Donovan, J.T., Blackshaw, R.E., Harker, K.N., Johnson, E.N., Gan, Y., Lafond, G.P., May, W.E., Malhi, S.S., Turkington, T.K., Lupwayi, N.Z., McLaren, D.L. (2016). Preceding crops and nitrogen fertilization influence soil nitrogen cycling in no-till canola and wheat cropping systems, 191 20-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2016.02.0142016 - View publication details
Shi, Y., Ziadi, N., Hamel, C., Lajeunesse, J., Lafond, J. (2016). Phosphorus fertilization effect on timothy root growth, and associated arbuscular mycorrhizal development, 108(2), 930-938. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/agronj2015.04592016 - View publication details
St. Luce, M., Whalen, J.K., Ziadi, N., Zebarth, B.J. (2016). Net nitrogen mineralization enhanced with the addition of nitrogen-rich particulate organic matter, 262 112-118. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2015.08.0172016 - View publication details
Cambouris, A.N., St. Luce, M., Zebarth, B.J., Ziadi, N., Grant, C.A., Perron, I. (2016). Potato response to nitrogen sources and rates in an irrigated sandy soil, 108(1), 391-401. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/agronj2015.03512016 - View publication details
Alotaibi, K., Cambouris, A.N., Ziadi, N., Perron, I., and Tremblay, N. (2015). "Corn Yield and quality as a function of nitrogen.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Perron, I., Cambouris, A.N., and Ziadi, N. (2015). "Soil Phosphorus distribution under two contrasting grasslands (2 and 10 yrs old).", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Shi, Y., Ziadi, N., Hamel, C., Lajeunesse, J., and Lafond, J. (2015). "Growth of Timothy root and associated arbuscular mycorrhizae as affected by phosphorus fertilization in North Quebec.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015.2015 - View publication details
Nyiraneza, J., Jannet, R.B., Fuller, K.D., Bizimungu, B., Bishop, G.A., Jiang, Y., Khiari, L., Grimmett, M.G., Rodd, A.V., Mills, A.A.S., and Ziadi, N. (2015). "Critical phosphorus concentrations and P saturation ratio levels under potato production in Atlantic Canada.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015.2015 - View publication details
- 1 of 11
- next ›
2005-present, Adjunct Professor, Laval University, Quebec.
2012-present, Adjunct Professor, Graduate University Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China.
2016-present, Adjunct Professor, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue.