Naomi DeLury, MSc
Naomi is currently working on storage and value-added solutions for fruit and berries as a member of the Summerland Research and Development Centre (RDC) bioproducts and bioprocesses research team.
Inspired by the amazing science she sees occurring throughout AAFC, Naomi works with the STB Communications team to author a blog, The Science of Summerland, to share highlights of intriguing Summerland RDC research with Canadians.
Naomi's MSc (SFU) specialized in chemical ecology and biological control, where she discovered specific semiochemicals for use in integrated pest management of a major apple pest, the codling moth. Since then Naomi has authored a variety of scientific publications and pest management guides, and has worked on the chemical ecology of apples, cherry pest management and grape entomology.
With experience at AAFC that spans many aspects of the food chain, from insects, fungi and disease to food processing; Naomi is in a unique position to promote the science of Summerland.
Current research and/or projects
Naomi contributes to food security for Canadians by working on research to reduce horticultural food waste and support development of novel agri-food opportunities through identification of food attributes and value-added processing.
Research and/or project statements
- K. A. Ross, N. DeLury, L. Fukumoto & M. S. Diarra. 2020. Dried berry pomace as a source of high value-added bioproduct: drying kinetics and bioactive quality indices, International Journal of Food Properties, 23:1, 2123-2143, DOI: 10.1080/10942912.2020.184714
- Poojari, S., J. Boule, N. DeLury, T. Lowery, M. Rott, A.M. Schmidt and J.R. Urbez-Torres. 2017. Epidemiology and genetic diversity of grapevine leafroll-associated viruses in British Columbia. Plant Disease 101:2088-2097.
- Samara, Rana, David M. Hunter, Lorne W. Stobbs, Neva Greig, D. Thomas Lowery and Naomi C. DeLury. 2017. Impact of Plum pox virus (PPV-D) infection on peach tree growth, productivity and bud cold hardiness. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. 39: 218-228.
- Jensen, L.B.M., D.T. Lowery and N.C. DeLury. 2017. Grape leaf rust mite, Calepitrimerus vitis (Acari: Eriophyidae), a new pest of grapes in British Columbia. J. Entomol. Soc. Brit. Columbia. 114: 3-14.
- Poojari, S, D.T. Lowery, M. Rott, A.M. Schmidt, N. DeLury, J. Boule and J. R. Urbez-Torres. 2016. First Report and Prevalence of Grapevine fleck virus in Grapevines (Vitis vinifera) in Canada. Plant Disease. 100(5):1028.
- DeLury, Naomi C., Howard Thistlewood and Richard Routledge. 2009. Phytotoxicity of GF-120® NF Naturalyte® fruit fly bait carrier on sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.) foliage. Pest Management Science 65:52-59.
- Judd, Gary J.R., Mark G.T. Gardiner, Naomi C. DeLury and Gerhard Karg. 2005. Reduced antennal sensitivity, behavioural response and attraction of male codling moths, Cydia pomonella (L.), to codlemone following various pre-exposure regimes. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. 114: 65-78.
- DeLury, Naomi C., Gary J.R. Judd and Mark G.T. Gardiner. 2006. Attraction of male Pandemis limitata (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) to natural and synthetic pheromone sources: importance for assessing communication disruption. Can. Entomol. 138: 697-711.
- DeLury, Naomi C., Gary J.R. Judd and Mark G.T. Gardiner. 2005. Antennal detection of sex pheromone by female Pandemis limitata (Robinson) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) and its impact on their calling behaviour. J. Entomol. Soc. Brit. Columbia 102: 3-11.
- Judd, G.J.R., N.C. DeLury and M.G.T. Gardiner. 2005. Examining disruption of pheromone communication in Choristoneura rosaceana and Pandemic limitata (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) using microencapsulated (Z)-11 tetradecenyl acetate applied in a laboratory flight tunnel. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. 114: 35-45.
- El-Sayed, A.M., J. Delisle, N. DeLury, L.J. Gut, G.J.R Judd, S. LeGrand, W.H. Reissig, W.L. Roelofs, C.R. Unelius, and R.M. Trimble. 2003. Geographic variation in pheromone chemistry, antennal electrophysiology and pheromone-mediated trap catch of North American populations of obliquebanded leafroller. Environmental Entomology. 32(3): 470-476.
- Suckling, D.M., A.R. Gibb, G.M. Burnip and N.C. DeLury. 2002. Can parasitoid sex pheromones help in insect biocontrol? A case study of codling moth (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) and its’ parasitoid Ascogaster quadridentata (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). Environmental Entomology. 31(6): 947-952.
- Farrell, A.P., P. Gallaugher, C. Clarke, N. DeLury, H. Kreiberg, W. Parkhouse, and R. Routledge. 2000. Physiological status of coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) captured in commercial nonretention fisheries. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57: 1668-1678.
- DeLury, Naomi. 2004. Insect espionage, pp 114-117, in P. Smith and Y. John-Thorpe (eds.). To Hope and Beyond: Tales and Poems of British Columbia. Penticton Writers and Publishers, Canada.
Select reports and bulletins:
- DeLury, N. 2018. Discussion on value-added food processing and pilot plant capacity in British Columbia. Report from Industry Meeting at Summerland Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Summerland, BC, May 15, 40 pages.
- DeLury, N. 2018. British Columbia Wine Grape Council: Enhancing the Sustainability of the BC Grape and Wine Sectors. Research Update Session Report, Summerland Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Summerland, BC, March 15, 58 pages.
- Lowery, T. and N. DeLury. 2017. Study of Vineyard Vegetation, Pests, and Beneficials: conducted by the Lowery laboratory, AAFC, Summerland, in partnership with the BC Wine Grape Council. Report to Industry.
- Thistlewood, Howard, Noubar Bostanian, Sue Senger, Naomi DeLury. 2010. Adapting to New Management Strategies for Cherry Fruit Flies in British Columbia, Canada. Integrated Fruit Protection in Fruit Crops, IPBC/wprs Bulletin 54: pp.197-203.
- Thistlewood, H.M.A., DeLury, N.C., and Rozema, B. 2006. Identification of alternatives for IPM of cherry fruit flies. Project A04067. Final Report to B.C. Fruit Growers' Assoc. and Okanagan Kootenay Cherry Growers Assoc., AAFC Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre, Agassiz and Summerland, BC, 40 pages.
- DeLury, N.C. 1992. Detoxification of a creosote contaminated site: technical analysis of bench and pilot scale bioremediation. Technical Report, Prairie Biological Research Ltd., Edmonton, AB.
Select conference presentations:
- Ross, K.A., N. DeLury, S. Debnath, L. Fukumoto, D. Gill and R. Lindley. 2020. Advancing knowledge of Indigenous Berries and Value Added Products. Tenth International Conference on Food Studies, New York, NY, USA (virtual due to COVID-19 restrictions), October.
- DeLury, N.C. and D.T. Lowery. 2017. Cutworm killer: Okanagan Beauveria bassiana isolate shows promise for climbing cutworm control in vineyards. Entomological Society of BC AGM, Abbotsford, BC, October.
- Poojari, S. M. Calingo, T. Lowery, J. Boule, N. DeLury, M. Rott, A.M. Schmidt and J.R. Urbez-Torres. 2015. Distribution and Genetic Diversity of Grapevine Viruses in British Columbia.18th International Council for the Study of Virus and Virus-like Diseases of the Grapevine, Ankara, Turkey, October.
- DeLury, N.C., T. Lowery and K. Deglow. 2013. “Weeding” out climbing cutworm: the toxic, yet alluring power of shepherd’s purse in vineyards. Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution. Kelowna, BC, May.
- DeLury, N and T. Lowery. 2012. Cutworm species complex and natural control agents. Entomological Society of BC AGM, Summerland, BC, October.
- DeLury, N.C. and Thistlewood, H.M.A. 2007. Phytotoxicity of GF-120 NF Naturalyte Fruit Bait on Sweet Cherry Foliage. 81th Annual Meeting: Orchard Pest and Disease Management Conference, Portland, OR, USA, January 10-12.
- Thistlewood, H.M.A. and DeLury, N.C. 2007. Spatial distribution of pupae and adult emergence of western cherry fruit fly, Rhagoletis indifferens, in the Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys, 2004-6. 81st Annual Meeting: Orchard Pest and Disease Management Conference, Portland, OR, USA, January 10-12.
- Thistlewood, H.M.A. and N.C. DeLury. 2003. Exploring cherry fruit fly management at the agriculture-urban interface. Joint Annual Meeting of The Entomological Society of Canada and the Entomological Society of British Columbia, Kelowna, BC, Nov 1-5.
- DeLury, Naomi, Gary Judd and Mark Gardiner. 2001. Microencapsulated sprayable pheromones as disruptants of communication in Lepidopteran tree-fruit insects. The Entomological Society of America 2001 Annual Meeting – 2001: An Entomological Odyssey of ESA, San Diego, CA, Dec. 9-12.
- DeLury, Naomi C., Gary Judd and Mark Gardiner. 2000. Examination of biological and chemical parameters necessary for disruption of communication in Lepidopteran tree-fruit insects with microencapsulated sprayable pheromones. 25th Anniversary Jubilee Meeting of the International Organization for Biological and Integrated Control of Noxious Animals and Plants – West Palaeartic Regional Section Working Group, Samos, Greece, September 25-29.
- Suckling, D.M., A.R. Gibb, G.M. Burnip, S.M. Pawson and N. C. DeLury. 1999. Use of sex pheromones in fruit pest biocontrol. The New Zealand Plant Protection Society, Auckland, NZ. August 9-12.
- DeLury, Naomi C., Regine Gries, Gerhard Gries, Gary Judd, G. King and John J. Brown. 1997. Pheromonal and kairomonal attraction of Ascogaster quadridentata Wesmael (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) a parasitoid of Cydia pomonella L. (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Proceedings of the International Society of Chemical Ecology 14th Annual Meeting, UBC, Vancouver, Canada. July 12-16.
Select industry guides and presentations:
- Ross, K.A., P. Toivonen, D. Godfrey, L. Fukumoto and N. DeLury. 2021. Pre-harvest conditions impact Staccato quality. BC Cherry Association AGM, Kelowna (virtual), BC. February.
- Ross, K.A., P. Toivonen, N. DeLury and L. Fukumoto. 2020. Ensuring quality of sweet cherries: focus on flavour retention. BC Cherry Association AGM, Kelowna, BC. March.
- DeLury, N. and T. Lowery. 2017. ‘Cutworm Killer’: Field-collected entomopathogenic fungus strain shows promise for climbing cutworm control in the Southern Interior of BC. Enology and Viticulture Conference and Tradeshow, Penticton, BC, July.
- T. Lowery, N. DeLury, M. Weis and H. Buchler. 2015. Beneficial Insects and Mites of Grape in British Columbia. AAFC, Summerland, in partnership with the BC Wine Grape Council. Industry Field Guide.
- T. Lowery, M. Weis, N. DeLury and H. Buchler. 2014. Insect and Mite Pests of Grape in British Columbia. AAFC, Summerland, in partnership with the BC Wine Grape Council. Industry Field Guide.
- DeLury, N., G. Judd and M. Gardiner. 2001. Effect of 3M microencapsulated pheromone on codling moth and leafrollers. 3M Canada Research Meeting, London, ON. November.
Professional activities / interests
- Okanagan College, VIT150 Vineyard Health and Nutrition
- University of Fraser Valley, BISC 210 Introduction to Ecology
- Simon Fraser University, Master of Pest Management Field Course
Southern Interior Sustainable Food Systems Network (Member)
Entomological Society of BC (Past Director - 2 terms)
National Committee for Career Development (Member)
National Tick Task Force, NOSH subcommittee (Contributor)