Current research and/or projects
When I was a little child I dreamed to be an engineer. I have always loved engineering and scientific toys and working with my hands, and still do. When I joined the Faculty of Engineering at Cairo University, I became more captivated by the engineering and physical sciences and became more passionate about getting involved in engineering research. I pursued my passion and worked toward my M.Sc. at Cairo University then joined University of Alberta to get my Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering. After my Ph.D., I followed my passion for research and worked as a researcher at the University of Alberta, an Assistant Professor at Cairo University, and a Research Manager at University of Alberta. I have always focused in linking the research to industrial applications and technology development. Beside my research work, I have been always keen in gaining industrial and project management experience by doing consulting work for several years, which enriched me with valuable experience and helped me developing my research skills. My research interests are mainly focused on developing and improving fuel production technologies and oil refining processes, heavy oil upgrading, biofuels production, and characterization of bitumen and products.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Heavy oil upgrading and partial upgrading and petroleum refining technology development
- Hydrocarbons conversion and processing
- Biofuels production and processing
- Chemical reaction engineering and kinetics
- Energy and fuels technology development
Professional activities / interests
- Supervision of graduate students
- Review of journal articles and technical reports
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of Alberta, 2010.
M.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2004.
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Chemical Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, 2000.
Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Award, Doctorate level, University of Alberta
Captain Thomas Greenhalgh Memorial Award, University of Alberta
Provost Doctoral Entrance Award, University of Alberta
Egyptian Engineers’ Syndicate Award
Prof. Assal’s Award for Best Undergraduate Record, Cairo University
Distinguished Students’ Award, Cairo University, 1995-2000
- McCaffrey,W., Pinchuk, R., Brown, W., Monaghan, G., Asprino, O., Gonzalez, P., Dettman, H., Ali, M., The Impact of Liquid Phase Severity on Thermal Processing of Heavy Oil, In Progress.
- Ibrahim, A.Y, Ali, M., Ghallab A.O. and Ashour, F.H., Effect of Piprazine on Carbon Dioxide Removal from Natural Gas Using Aqueous Methyl Diethanol Amine, J Nat Gas Sci and Eng, 2014.
- Aman, D., Zaki, T., Mikhail, S., Ali, M., A simple Simulation Model for Oxidative Coupling of Methane over La0.6Sr0.4NiO3 Nanocatalyst, Chem and Proc Eng Res, 2014.
- Waste to Energy for Egypt: Analysis and Recommendation, Chemonics Egypt, Egyptian Ministry of Finance, The IFC, 2012.
- Ali, M., Courtney, M., Boddez, L., Gray, M., Coke Yield and Heat Transfer in Reaction of Liquid-Solid Agglomerates of Athabasca Vacuum Residue, Can J Chem Eng, 2010.
- Ali, M., Coke Yield and Transport Processes in Agglomerates of Bitumen and Solids, PhD Thesis, University of Alberta, 2010.
- Gaber, A., Eltayeb A.O., Ali, M., Analysis of Municipal Solid Waste to Energy in Egypt: A Methodological Note, Fourteenth International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, Sardinia, 2013.
- Radmanesh, R., Gray, M. Chan, E and Ali, M., Mass Transfer and Thermal Cracking Kinetics During Coking of Athabasca Residues, International Chemical Reaction Engineering Conference, Bilbao, Spain, 2008.
- Ali, M., Courtney, M., Gray, M and Chan, E., Ultimate Coke Yield in Bitumen-Coke Agglomerates, Canadian Society of Chemical Engineers Conference, Edmonton 2007.
- Ali, M.; Weber, S.; Briens, C.; Berruti, F.; Chan, E. and Gray, M., Survivability of Bitumen-Coke Agglomerates and Coke Yield in Fluid Coking, Oil Sands Conference, Edmonton 2006.
Member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)