Current research and/or projects
Field of expertise:
Managed and collaborated on interdisciplinary and multi-institutional research projects in the field of natural hazard risk assessment, hydrogeology, environmental assessment and reclamation, and software development.
What is the focus of you research?
Current interests focus on the development of standardized methods and tools for quantitative assessment of physical vulnerability, social and economic losses associated with natural disasters. I make part of an international team which studies dynamic response of structures to ground shaking and impacts of landslides and liquefaction to linear infrastructure, and develops simplified methods for floodplain delineation for scenario risk modelling. I am also involved in regional hydrogeological studies and characterization of the evolution of the groundwater quantity and quality.
What is the significance of your research?
Contribution to the improvement of our understanding of natural hazards and their consequences. The developed methods and tools support the needs of the public safety community to mitigate potential impacts from natural hazards and prepare informed emergency response plans.
Education and awards
PhD: Université Laval, Québec, 1998
MSc: University Saints Cyril et Methodius, Skopje (Macedonia), 1987
- 2003/2007 Associate Editor Hydrogeology Journal http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/hydrogeology/journal/10040
- 2006 Public Service Award of Excellence for the regional groundwater characterization project in fractured aquifers, southwester Quebec
- 2010 Guest Editor of the Special Issue of the Canadian Water Resources Association Journal on the ‘Hydrogeology of the Châteauguay River Watershed’. http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tcwr20/35/4
- 2011 Signing authority of the Technical Annex to the US-Canada Agreement for Cooperation in Science and Technology for Critical Infrastructure Protection and Border Security. http://blog.fema.gov/2011/08/sharing-technology-expertise-to.html
Nastev, M., Therrien, R., Lefebvre, R., and P., Gelinas (2001). Landfill gas production and migration in sanitary landfills and geological formations. Journal of Contaminant hydrology, 52: 187-211. (most cited article)
- Institut national de recherche scientifique, centre Eau Terre Environnement INRS-ETE, Québec
- Université Laval, Québec
- Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology - IZIIS, University Saints Cyril and Methodius, Skopje, Macedonia http://www.iziis.edu.mk/
- University of Western Ontario, London