As a researcher in dairy science and technology, conduct research and development projects on 1) improving product quality and production yields, 2) dairy ingredients, and 3) developing by-products .
Current research and/or projects
Dr. Britten is interested in the valorization of milk components. He studies the factors influencing their behaviour in complex food systems. Dr. Britten is also interested milk processing yields and nutrient stability during production, storage and digestion of dairy products.
Research and/or project statements
- Influence of seasonal variations, membrane concentration and heat treatments on the physicochemical characteristics and cheese-making properties of milk;
- Control of lipid oxidation during the production, storage and digestion of dairy products;
- Optimal use of milk concentrated by reverse osmosis to increase cheese yields;
- Optimization of critical steps in cheese production;
- Controlling the texture of sterilized creams.
Professional activities / interests
- Associate Professor, Department of Science des Aliments et de la Nutrition, Université Laval;
- Member of the Centre de Recherche en Science et Technologie du Lait (STELA) and the Institut de la Nutrition et des Alinents Fonctionnels (INAF), Laval University;
- Member of the editorial boards of Food Hydrocolloids and International Dairy Journal.
Education and awards
- Golden Harvest Award (Innovation, Collaboration and Service Excellence);
- Diamond Jubilee Medal of Queen Elizabeth II.
Lamothe, S., Desroches, V., Britten, M. (2019). Effect of milk proteins and food-grade surfactants on oxidation of linseed oil-in-water emulsions during in vitro digestion, 294 130-137. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.04.1072019 - View publication details
Giroux, H.J., Shea, R., Sabik, H., Fustier, P., Robitaille, G., Britten, M. (2019). Effect of oil phase properties on peptide release from water-in-oil-in-water emulsions in gastrointestinal conditions, 109 429-435. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.04.0122019 - View publication details
Tremblay-Marchand, D., Doyen, A., Britten, M., Pouliot, Y. (2016). A process efficiency assessment of serum protein removal from milk using ceramic graded permeability microfiltration membrane, 99(7), 5230-5243. http://dx.doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-109142016 - View publication details
Giroux, H.J., Robitaille, G., Britten, M. (2016). Controlled release of casein-derived peptides in the gastrointestinal environment by encapsulation in water-in-oil-in-water double emulsions, 69 225-232. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2016.01.0502016 - View publication details
Perreault, V., Turcotte, O., Morin, P., Pouliot, Y., Britten, M. (2016). Combined effect of denatured whey protein concentrate level and fat level in milk on rennet gel properties, 55 1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2015.11.0082016 - View publication details
Ayala-Bribiesca, E., Lussier, M., Chabot, D., Turgeon, S.L., Britten, M. (2016). Effect of calcium enrichment of Cheddar cheese on its structure, in vitro digestion and lipid bioaccessibility, 53 1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2015.09.0022016 - View publication details
Carnovale, V., Britten, M., Couillard, C., Bazinet, L. (2015). Impact of calcium on the interactions between epigallocatechin-3-gallate and β-lactoglobulin, 77 565-571. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2015.08.0102015 - View publication details
Fustier, P., Achouri, A., Taherian, A.R., Britten, M., Pelletier, M., Sabik, H., Villeneuve, S., Mondor, M. (2015). Protein-Protein Multilayer Oil-in-Water Emulsions for the Microencapsulation of Flaxseed Oil: Effect of Whey and Fish Gelatin Concentration, 63(42), 9239-9250. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b008582015 - View publication details
Cottica, S.M., Sabik, H., Bélanger, D., Giroux, H.J., Visentainer, J.V., Britten, M. (2015). Use of propolis extracts as antioxidant in dairy beverages enriched with conjugated linoleic acid, 241(4), 543-551. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00217-015-2483-12015 - View publication details
Saffon, M., Jiménez-Flores, R., Britten, M., Pouliot, Y. (2015). Effect of heating whey proteins in the presence of milk fat globule membrane extract or phospholipids from buttermilk, 48 60-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2015.01.0042015 - View publication details
- 1 of 14
- next ›