Marta Izydorczyk PhD
Research on Barley and Other Grains/Milling and Malting
Current research and/or projects
- Molecular structure and physicochemical properties of starch and non-starch polysaccharides, such as arabinoxylans and β-glucans.
- Understanding and controlling mechanisms responsible for technological performance and functionality of carbohydrate polymers from barley and other economically important Prairie grains in complex food systems.
- Evaluation of quality of malting barley
- Development of procedures to fractionate grains such as oats and barley to yield milled products with enhanced functionality.
- Evaluation milling performance of wheat for annual harvest report, milling performance of advanced wheat breeding lines.
Education and awards
Doctorate, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Manitoba
Master of Science, Food Science, University of Manitoba
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Ryerson Polytechnical University, Toronto
- Director, 2011-2014, AACC International
- Honoured with an invitation to deliver the William F. Geddes Lecture , Northwest Section of AACC International, Minneapolis, MN, 2011
- Individual NSERC Discovery Grant, 2007
- Honoured with an invitation to deliver the 2007 Belfort Carbohydrate Lecture at the Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA (Ba-32). Persons chosen to give a Belfort Lecture are scientists who have made outstanding contributions to glycoscience.
- Co-chair, 5th Canadian Barley Symposium and the District of Western Canada Master Brewers Association of the Americas joint meeting, 2007
- Speaker, Department of Plant Science Seminar series at the University of Manitoba, 2007
- Co-chair, International Plant Polysaccharide Workshop, 2006
- Presenter, joint Symposium of the Carbohydrate and Protein Divisions of the AACC International, 2006
- Lecturer, International Forum on Cereal Science: Cereal Foods, Cooperation, and Opportunities, Canadian Session on Cereal Sciences, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation, Career Mentor Program at the University of Manitoba, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation, AACC International and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas, 2006
- Appointed Senior Editor of the journal Cereal Chemistry, 2006
- Program team appointee, World Grain Summit, 2005 Lecturer, Winnipeg Brewmasters’ meeting, 2005
- Certificate of Appreciation, Manitoba Buckwheat Growers Association, Inc., 2005
- Presenter, Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute 19th Triennial Barley Improvement Meeting, 2004.
- Treasurer, Board of Directors of the Canadian Malting Barley Technical Centre (CMBTC), 2007-present
- Member, Canada Grain Regulation Committee, 2007-present
- Vice Chair, AACCI/ICC working Group: Collaboration Strategies for Publications and Scientific Content Dissemination
- Senior Editor, Editorial Board of Cereal Chemistry, AACC International
- Scientific advisor, Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute (BMBRI) Technical Committee
- Sector Representative, Barley Council of Canada, Research and Innovation Committee
- Chair, Barley Quality Evaluation Team for the Prairie Recommending Committee for Oat and Barley, 2006-present
- Leader of the Food Barley Advisory Group for the Barley Quality Evaluation Team
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Manitoba, 2004-present
- Member, Barley and Other Cereal Grains Sub-Committee, Western Standards Committee, 2004-present.