Managing finances, diagnostic capacity and research of the Gulf Fisheries Centre Aquatic Animal Health Lab
Maintaining ISO 17025 accreditation
Conducting research to support the activities of the Gulf Fisheries Centre Aquatic Animal Health Lab
Current research and/or projects
My main research interests at this time are:
- Phylogenetic and phylogeographic resolution of oyster populations of Canada's east coast
- Global gene expression patterns in mollusks following infections with various protistan pathogens.
- The development of molecular assays for the detection of marine pathogens.
Research and/or project statements
Professional activities / interests
- University of Moncton
Education and awards
B.Sc. Biochemistry, University of Moncton (1991)
M.Sc. Biochemistry, University of Moncton (1993)
Ph.D. Molecular Evolutionary Biology, Dalhousie University (2003)
1. Benzina, S. et al. Pax-5 is a potent regulator of E-cadherin and breast cancer malignant processes. Oncotarget 8, 12052-12066 (2017).
2. Arseneau, J.R., Steeves, R. & Laflamme, M. Modified low-salt CTAB extraction of high-quality DNA from contaminant-rich tissues. Mol Ecol Resour (2016).
3. Arseneau, J.R. & Laflamme, M. Development of RT-qPCR methodologies for the detection of viral pathogens in various shrimp species, (Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Gulf Fisheries Centre, Moncton, NB, 2016).
4. Tulpan, D., Davey, M. & Laflamme, M. qRT-PCR for validating microbial microarray data. in Quantitative Real-time PCR in Applied Microbiology (ed. Filion, M.) 242 (Caister Academic Press, Great Britain, 2012).
5. LeBlanc, F. et al. Transcriptional response of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) after primary versus secondary exposure to infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAV). Mol Immunol 51, 197-209 (2012).
6. Boudreau, L. et al. Novel 5-lipoxygenase isoforms affect the biosynthesis of 5-lipoxygenase products. Faseb Journal 25, 1097-1105 (2011).
7. LeBlanc, F., Laflamme, M. & Gagne, N. Genetic markers of the immune response of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) to infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAV). Fish Shellfish Immunol 29, 217-32 (2010).
8. Borza, T., Redmond, E.K., Laflamme, M. & Lee, R.W. Mitochondrial DNA in the Oogamochlamys clade (Cholorphyceae): High GC content and unique genome architecture for green algae. Journal of Phycology 45, 1323-1334 (2009).
9. Arseneau, J., Laflamme, M., Lewis, S., Maicas, E. & Ouellette, R. Multiple isoforms of PAX5 are expressed in both lymphomas and normal B-cells. British Journal of Haematology 147, 328-338 (2009).
10. Culf, A.S., Cuperlovic-Culf, M., Laflamme, M., Tardiff, B.J. & Ouellette, R.J. Fast deprotection of synthetic oligodeoxyribonucleotides using standard reagents under microwave irradiation. Oligonucleotides 18, 81-92 (2008).
11. Laflamme, M. & Robichaud, G. Gene suppression technologies in high-throughput analysis: Front- and back-side applications. Omics-a Journal of Integrative Biology 11, 129-142 (2007).
12. Bertin, J. et al. Identification of variants of 5-lipoxygenase mRNA in human B lymphocytic cell lines. Faseb Journal 21, A975-A975 (2007).
13. Robichaud, G.A., Nardini, M., Laflamme, M., Cuperlovic-Culf, M. & Ouellette, R.J. Human Pax-5 C-terminal isoforms possess distinct transactivation properties and are differentially modulated in normal and malignant B cells. J Biol Chem 279, 49956-63 (2004).
14. Belacel, N., Cuperlovic-Culf, M., Laflamme, M. & Ouellette, R. Fuzzy J-Means and VNS methods for clustering genes from microarray data. Bioinformatics 20, 1690-701 (2004).
15. Laflamme, M. & Lee, R.W. Mitochondrial Genome Conformation Among the CW-Group Chlorophycean Algae. Journal of Phycology 39, 213-220 (2003).