Metallurgical Coal Science and Carbonization
Current research and/or projects
I have been a research scientist at Natural Resources Canada’s CanmetENERGY since 1994. I have a very broad expertise and experience in research related to solid mineral fuels (coal and coke). This expertise extends into physical/chemical/reactivity evaluations, thermal rheology, thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) and TGA-Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR), petrography, pulverized coal injection, alternate fuels (biomaterials) for ironmaking, alternative energy for metals production, coal oxidation and coal interaction in blends during cokemaking and carbonization.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Bio-carbon for Canadian iron and steel production.
- Improving the quality of metallurgical coal and coke for ironmaking.
- Energy recovery cokemaking.
Professional activities / interests
Lecturer of the Cokemaking course at the McMaster University since 2011.
Technical Chairman of the Canadian Carbonization Research Association since 2007.
Canadian ISO/TC27 Chairman (Solid Mineral Fuels) and International Chairman on ISO/TC27/SC3 Coke.
Education and awards
Ph.D in Chemistry, University of Ottawa
- Giroux, L., Holuszko, M.E., Leeder, R., Mackay, M., MacPhee, J.A., Ng, K.W., Dexter, H. “Effects of Organic Liquids on Coking Properties of a High-Inert Western Canadian Coal”, Submitted to Fuel Processing Technology (FUPROC-D-16-00075), January 2016.
- Ng, K.W., Giroux, L., MacPhee, J.A., Todoschuk, T., Taggart, L., Scott, G. “Carbon type differentiation technique for diagnosing pulverised coal injection efficiency”, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, DOI: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1179/1743281215Y.0000000034, 2016.
- Ng, K.W., Giroux, L., MacPhee, J.A., Ng, K.W., Todoschuk, T. “Industrial Study on Coal Handling Bulk Density”, AISTech Proceedings, Cleveland, May 2015 (Co-recipient of 2016 Josef S. Kapitan Award – Cokemaking from AISTech USA for best paper).
- Ray, S., Giroux, L., MacPhee, J.A., Ng, K.W., Todoschuk, T. “Study of PCI Coals in New Injection Rig at CanmetENERGY (Ottawa)”, Metec InSteelCon 2015 Proceedings, Dusseldorf, Germany, June 2015.
- Leeder, W.R., Todoschuk, T., Howey, C., Giroux, L., Ng, K.W., MacPhee, J.A., “Predictive Model for Blending Coking Coals to Produce High Strength Coke”, Metec InSteelCon 2015 Proceedings, Dusseldorf, Germany, June 2015.