My research applies physically-based hydrological modelling to develop recommmendations for land management to minimize excess moisture issues and minimize deficiencies in water availabilities in the prairie region now and in the future.
Current research and/or projects
- Soil moisture resilience in a changing climate
- Living Laboratories Action Climate Solutions
- Real-Time In-Situ Soil Monitoring for Agriculture
- Agricultural practices in the Lake Winnipeg Basin
Research and/or project statements
- Management of soil moisture and inflitration on agricultural lands, influence of management practices on water quantity and quality, and implications for future climates. This work includes monitoring soil moisture on agricultural lands.
- Characterizing relationships between groundwater quality and quantity and agriculture; identifying practical and economically viable solutions
Professional activities / interests
- Applied research in ground and soil water
- Flow, heat, and chemical transport
- Subsurface hydrological modelling (Hydrus, FeFlow, PHREEQC)
Education and awards
- Ph.D., Price Faculty of Engineering, University of Manitoba
- B.Env.Sc, Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Earth, Environment and Resources, University of Manitoba
Veerapaga, N., Sharma, C. S., Panda, S. N., Holländer, H. M., Machavaram, R., & Moore, K. R. (Submitted). Increased Cropping Diversity: Managing the Land and Water Resources of a Coastal Groundwater Basin in Eastern India
Moore, K.R., Holländer, H.M., and Woodbury, A.D. (2021): An experimental and numerical study of evaporite mineral dissolution and density-driven flow in porous media, Journal of Hydrology, 596: 125695, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.125695.
Moore, K.R. and Holländer, H.M. (2020): Feasibility of low-temperature geothermal systems: Considerations of thermal anomalies, geochemistry, and local assets, Applied Energy, 275: 115412, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115412.
Moore, K.R., Holländer, H.M., Basri, M., and Roemer, M. (2019) Application of geochemical and groundwater data to predict sinkhole formation in a gypsum formation in Manitoba, Canada. Environmental Earth Sciences, 78(6): 193. doi: 10.1007/s12665-019-8188-1.
Moore, K., Fayek, M., Lemes, M., Rysgaard, S., & Holländer, H. M. (2017). Fractionation of hydrogen and oxygen in artificial sea ice with corrections for salinity for determining meteorological water content in bulk ice samples. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 142: 93-99, doi: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2017.07.011.
Moore, K. R., Holländer, H. M., Panda, S. N., & Veerapaga, N. (2016). Sustainable Land and Groundwater Management Policies for Coastal Ecosystems of Eastern India.
Moore, K. R., & Holländer, H. M. (2015). Hillside Road Landfill Site Groundwater Model Report.
Moore, K. R. (2011). Migration of Cyanobacteria in Eutrophic Lake 227. Bachelor of Environmental Science Honours Project, Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth, and Resources, University of Manitoba.
- International Association of Hydrogeologists