Julien Laliberté, PhD
Current research and/or projects
I use satellite remote sensing of oceans and coastal waters as a mean to monitor the marine ecosystem. I am interested in the propagation of sunlight into the atmosphere-snow-ice-ocean system. I have also developped a particular interest for remote sensing, hydrological optics and field sampling. Since 2015, I work for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada where I seek to reinforce our knowledge of phytoplankton temporal and spatial variability in the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence using ocean color remote sensing.
Research and/or project statements
Professional activities / interests
- Mukherjee, S., Hedley, J., Fichot, C., Laliberté, J. and Bélanger, S. (2023). Optical closure in highly absorptive coastal waters: significance of inelastic scattering processes. Optics Express, 31(21), 35178. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.501732.
- Laliberté, J. and Larouche, P. (2023). Chlorophyll-a concentration climatology, phenology, and trends in the optically complex waters of the St. Lawrence Estuary and Gulf. Journal of Marine Systems, 238, 103830, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2022.103830.
- Ardyna, M., Hamilton, D., Harmel, T., Lacour, L., Bernstein, D., Laliberté, J., Horvat, C., Laxenaire, R., Mills, M., van Dijken, G., Polyakov, I., Claustre, H., Mahowald, N., and Arrigo, K. (2022). Wildfire aerosol deposition likely amplified a summertime Arctic phytoplankton bloom. Nature - Communications Earth & Environment 3, 201. https://doi.org/10.1038/s43247-022-00511-9.
- Laliberté, J., Rehm, E., Hamre, B., Goyens, C., Perovich, D.K., and Babin, M. (2022). A method to derive satellite PAR albedo time series over first-year sea ice in the Arctic Ocean. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene 10(1). https://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.2020.00080.
- Laliberté, J., Bélanger, S. and Babin, M. (2021). Seasonal and interannual variations in the propagation of photosynthetically available radiation through the Arctic atmosphere. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene 9(1). https://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.2020.00083.
- Massicotte et al. (2020). Green Edge ice camp campaigns: understanding the processes controlling the under-ice Arctic phytoplankton spring bloom. Earth System Science Data, 12: 151–176. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-12-151-2020.
- Laliberté, J., Larouche, P., Devred, E. and Craig, S. (2018). Chlorophyll-a Concentration Retrieval in the Optically Complex Waters of the St. Lawrence Estuary and Gulf Using Principal Component Analysis. Remote Sensing, 10(2), 265. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10020265.
- Laliberté, J., Bélanger, S. and Frouin R. (2016). Evaluation of satellite-based algorithms to estimate photosynthetically available radiation (PAR) reaching the ocean surface at high northern latitudes. Remote Sensing of Environment. 184: 199-211, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2016.06.014.