Current research and/or projects
Dr Dutil is a research scientist within the Ocean Science and Environment Directorate at Mont-Joli. He is an expert in the field of ecology, physiology and bioenergetics and is the author or co-author of over one hundred twenty scientific papers related to anadromous, catadromous and marine fishes. He has studied for instance linkages between stock productivity and environmental conditions, particularly oxygen and temperature, in cod during and after stock collapse, with an emphasis on the effects of changes in energetic condition on growth, reproduction, natural mortality, swimming and digestive capacities, and biochemical determinants of growth and swimming performance.
Currently, his research focuses on species at risk in order to identify preferred and critical habitats : relationships between wolffishes, fish communities and habitat descriptors. Until recently, Dr Dutil was the director of CHIF, the Center of expertise on hydropower and its impacts on fish and fish habitat.
Education and awards
Master Degree in Science (Biology), Laval University, 1978
Ph. D. Degree in Science (Zoology), University of Manitoba, 1982
- Dutil, J.-D., Dumont, P., Cairns, D.K., Galbraith, P.S., Verreault, G., Castonguay, M., and Proulx, S. 2009. Glass eel migration and recruitment in the estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence J. Fish Biol.: sous presse.
- Dutil, J.-D., Larocque, R., Valois, S., Mayrand, E., and Sainte-Marie, B. 2009. Spatial, annual and seasonal patterns in the condition and growth of snow crab. Mar. Biol.: sous presse.
- Dutil, J.-D., Nozères, C., Scallon-Chouinard, P.-M., Van Guelpen, L., Bernier, D., Proulx, S., Miller, R., and Savenkoff, C. 2009. Poissons connus et méconnus des fonds marins du Saint-Laurent. Naturaliste canadien 133: 70-82.
- MacGregor, R., Casselman, J.M., Allen, W.A., Haxton, T., Dettmers, J.M., Mathers, A., LaPan, S., Pratt, T.C., Thompson, P., Stanfield, M., Marcogliese, L., and Dutil, J.-D. 2009. Natural heritage, anthropogenic impacts, and biopolitical issues related to the status and sustainable management of American eel: a retrospective analysis and management perspective at the population level. in A. J. Haro, K. L. Smith, R. A. Rulifson, C. M. Moffitt, R. J. Klauda, M. J. Dadswell, R. A. Cunjak, J. E. Cooper, K. L. Beal, and T. S. Avery, editors. Challenges for diadromous fishes in a dynamic global environment. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland. Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 69: 713-739.
- Dutil, J.-D., Jabouin, C., Larocque, R., Blier, P.U., and Desrosiers, G. 2008. Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) from cold and warm environments differ in their maximum growth capacity at low temperatures Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65: 2579-2591.
- Mayrand, E., and Dutil, J.-D. 2008. Physiological responses of rock crab Cancer irroratus exposed to waterborne pollutants. J. Crust. Biol. 28(3): 510-518.
- Larocque, R., Gendron, M.-H., and Dutil, J.-D. 2008. A survey of wolffish (Anarhichas spp.) and wolffish habitat in Les Méchins, Quebec. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci./Rapp. Tech. Can. Sci. Halieut. Aquat. 2786: vi + 29 pages.
- Smokorowski, K.E., and Dutil, J.-D. 2008. Workshop to compare methods to quantify the productive capacity of fish habitat impacted by hydro operations. Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Proceedings Series 2008/002: 30 pages.
- Blier, P.U., Dutil, J.-D., Lemieux, H., Bélanger, F., and Bitetera, L. 2007. Phenotypic flexibility of digestive system in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Comp. Biochem. Physiol., A: Mol. Integr. Physiol. 146: 174-179.
- Dutil, J.-D., Sylvestre, E.-L., Gamache, L., Larocque, R., and Guderley, H. 2007. Burst and coast use, swimming performance and metabolism of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua in sub-lethal hypoxic conditions. J. Fish Biol. 71: 363-375.
- Sylvestre, E.-L., Lapointe, D., Dutil, J.-D., and Guderley, H. 2007. Thermal sensitivity of metabolic rates and swimming performance in two latitudinally separated populations of cod, Gadus morhua. J. Comp. Physiol., B 177: 447-460.
- Scallon-Chouinard, P.-M., Dutil, J.-D., and Hurtubise, S. 2007. Liste des espèces de poissons inventoriés dans l’estuaire maritime du St-Laurent entre 1930 et 2005. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci./Rapp. Tech. Can. Sci. Halieut. Aquat. 2719: vi + 58 pages.