Current research and/or projects
My principle area of research is aquatic animal nutrition, especially as it relates to development of sustainable aquaculture. Most of my research involves finding alternative protein and oil sources, finding and meeting nutrient requirements and, developing feeds for species new to aquaculture.
Education and awards
M.Sc., University of British Columbia, 1985
Ph.D., University of Washington, 1993
- Ju, Z.Y., I.P. Forster, W.G. Dominy. In Press. Effects of supplementing bioactive compounds to a formulated diet on growth, survival and sensory compounds of shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei (Boone, 1931). Aquaculture Research
- Forster, I.P., W.G. Dominy, L. Obaldo. Accepted 2009. Effect of diet manipulation on cholesterol and docosahexaenoic acid levels in shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society
- Forster, I., W. Dominy, A.L. Lawrence, F. Castille, S. Patnaik. 2010. Optimization of a research diet for the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, using mixture model methodology. Aquaculture 298:260-266.
- Ju, Z.Y., I.P. Forster, W.G. Dominy. 2009. Effects of supplementing two species of marine algae or their fractions to a formulated diet on growth, survival and composition of shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). Aquaculture 292:237-243
- Forster, I.P., W.G. Dominy. 2006. Efficacy of three methionine sources in diets for Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 37:474-480
- Naylor, Rosamond L., Ronald W. Hardy, Dominique P. Bureau, Alice Chiu, Matthew Elliott, Anthony P. Farrell, Ian Forster, Delbert M. Gatlin, Rebecca J. Goldburg, Katheline Hua, Peter D. Nichols. 2009. Feeding aquaculture in and era of finite resources. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:15103-15110.
- Forster, I.P. 2008. Use of fisheries co-products in feeds for aquatic animals. In: Alternative Protein Sources in Aquaculture Diets (eds Chhorn Lim, Carl D. Webster, Cheng-Sheng Lee). Haworth Food & Agricultural Products Press (Feb 28, 2008), New York and London. p. 117-131. 626 p
- Forster, I., W. Dominy. 2006. The Use of Rendered Terrestrial Animal Byproducts in Aquatic Feeds. In: L. Elizabeth Cruz Suarez, Denis Rique Marie, Mirey Tapia Salazar, Martha G. Nieto Lopez, David A. Villarreal Cavazos, Ana C. Puello Cruz and Armando Garcia Ortega. Advances in Aquaculture Nutrition VIII. 15-17 November, 2006. Mazatlan, Mexico. Pp 434-445.