Develop software for detection of viruses and other plant pathogens and provide bioinformatic support for research projects.
Current research and/or projects
Research and/or project statements
- development of next-generation sequencing (NGS) as a plant pathogen detection method
- development of Virtool as a web-based software tool for detection of plant viruses using NGS
- maintenance of scientific computing resources at Sidney Laboratory
Professional activities / interests
- Python-based bioinformatic programming
- Next-generation sequencing analysis
- Full-stack web development
- Linux operating systems
Education and awards
M.Sc. Biology, University of Victoria, 2013
B.Sc. Biology, University of Victoria, 2009
Comparative analysis of cherry virus A genome sequences assembled from deep sequencing data.
Kesanakurti P et al. 2017. Arch Virol. 162:2821-2828.
The genome of the yellow potato cyst nematode, Globodera rostochiensis, reveals insights into the basis of parasitism and virulence.
Eves-van den Akker et al. 2016. Genome Biol. 17:124.
Screening for plant viruses by next generation sequencing using a modified double strand RNA extraction protocol with an internal amplification control.
Kesanakurti P et al. 2016. J Virol Methods. 236:35-40.
A transcriptomic resource for Douglas-fir seed development and analysis of transcription during late megagametophyte development.
Little SA et al. 2016. Plant Reprod. 29:273-286.