Guylaine Talbot, Ph.D.
Research Scientist in Microbial Ecology
Current research and/or projects
- Improving the environmental performance, which includes research focused on ways to improve the efficiency of nutrient utilization and recycling and mitigate the greenhouse gas production, and therefore reduce the environmental footprint of the livestock sector.
- Assessment and management of water and air quality risks associated with the use of organic fertilizers. Examination of the link between microbial communities, pathogen survival, physico-chemical properties and greenhouse gas emissions and odours from swine slurry and cattle manure storage pits
- Characterization of microbial communities during low-temperature anaerobic digestion of swine slurry and cattle manure to reduce odours and pathogens and to produce renewable energy (biogas) and value added agronomic by-products
- Development of novel feeding strategies aiming to improve gut development, defence functions, health and performance of piglets. Study of the effect of dietary strategies on microbial communities in the digestive system of piglets
- Development of dietary strategies and technology to improve intestinal health and mitigate use of antibiotics in monogastric animal productions.
Research and/or project statements
Study of the impact of diverse manure treatments on the mitigation of greenhouse gas emission and pathogen survival.
Study of the impact of alternatives to the use of in-feed antibiotics on the swine gut microbial ecology.
Professional activities / interests
Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Science, Université de Sherbrooke
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Université de Sherbrooke
For a complete list of publications, please visit: AAFC Online
Auffret, M.D., Brassard, J., Jones, T.H., Gagnon, N., Gagné, M.J., Muehlhauser, V., Masse, L., Topp, E., Talbot, G. 2018. Impact of seasonal temperature transition, alkalinity and other abiotic factors on the persistence of viruses in swine and dairy manures. Sci. Tot. Env. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.12.306
Zambria, M., Cloutier, M., Adama, Z., Lapen, D.R., Wilkesa, G., Sunohara, M., Topp, E., Talbot, G., Khan, I.U.H. 2018. Novel virulence, antibiotic resistance and toxin gene-specific PCR-based assays for rapid pathogenicity assessment of Arcobacter faecis and Arcobacter lanthieri. BMC Microb. DOI : 10.1186/s12866-018-1357-7
Fomenky, B.E., Do, D.N., Talbot, G., Chiquette, J., Bissonnette, N., Chouinard, Y.P., Lessard, M., Ibeagha-Awemu, E.M. 2018. Direct-fed microbial supplementation influences the bacteria community composition of the gastrointestinal tract of pre- and post-weaned calves. Sci. Reports 8:14147. Doi:10.1038/s41598-018-32375-5.
Morissette, B., Talbot, G., Beaulieu, C. and Lessard, M. 2018. Growth performance of piglets during the first two weeks of lactation affects the development of the intestinal microbiota. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutrition. 102(2):525-532.
Lo Verso, L., Lessard, M., Talbot, G., Fernandez, B., Fliss, I. 2017. Isolation and Selection of Potential Probiotic Bacteria from the Pig Gastrointestinal Tract. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins 10(2):299-312. doi:10.1007/ s12602-017-9309-3.
Fomenky, B.E., Chiquette, J., Bissonnette, N., Talbot, G., Chouinard, P.Y., Ibeagha-Awemu, E.M. 2017. Impact of Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii CNCMI-1079 and Lactobacillus acidophilus BT1386 on total lactobacilli population in the gastrointestinal tract and colon histomorphology of Holstein dairy calves. Anim Feed Sci Technol 234:151-161.
Bissonnette, N., Jiang, X. R., Matte, J. J., Guay, F., Talbot, G., Bontempo, V., Gong, J., Wang, Q. Lessard, M. 2016. Effect of a post-weaning diet supplemented with functional feed additives on ileal transcriptome activity and serum cytokines in piglets challenged with lipopolysaccharide. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 182: 136-149. Co-author.
Fernando, D. M., Khan, I. U., Patidar, R., Lapen, D. R., Talbot, G., Topp, E., Kumar, A. 2016. Isolation and characterization of Acinetobacter baumannii recovered from campylobacter selective medium. Front. Microbiol 7(NOV), 1871.
Whiteduck-Léveillée, J., Cloutier, M., Topp, E., Lapen, D.R., Talbot, G., Villemur, R., Khan, I.U.H. 2016. Development and Evaluation of Multiplex PCR Assays for Rapid Detection of Virulence-associated Genes in Arcobacter Species. J. Microbiol. Meth. 121:59-65.
Brousseau, J.P., Talbot, G., Beaudoin, F., Lauzon, K., Roy, D., Lessard, M. 2015. Effects of probiotics Pediococcus acidilactici strain MA18/5M and Saccharomyces cerevisiae subsp. boulardii strain SB-CNCM I-1079 on fecal and intestinal microbiota of nursing and weanling piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 93:1–15 doi:10.2527/jas2015-9190.
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Université de Sherbrooke
Swine and Poultry Infectious Diseases Research Center
Canadian Society of Microbiologists