Current research and/or projects
I started doing research when I was studying for my Master’s Degree in forest ecology. Later, I began my career with the Canadian Forest Service at the Petawawa National Forestry Institute in Chalk River, Ontario, where I studied regeneration in deciduous forests and productivity of red pine plantations. My training as a researcher continued while I studied for my PhD at the University of British Columbia. What I am most keenly interested in is the development of simulation models of the dynamics of forest ecosystems. The most recent achievement I am most proud of is the production of the Ecological Forest Management Handbook, published by CRC Press, of which I am the editor. I coordinated the work of 75 authors from 14 countries, including 15 researchers of the Canadian Forest Service of Natural Resources Canada.
Research and/or project statements
Professional activities / interests
- Member of the International Society for Ecological Modelling organizing committee (2016).
- Member of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society.
- Guest and Speaker at many conferences.
- Communication with medias and public.
Education and awards
B.Sc. in forestry, Université Laval, Québec
M.Sc. in forest ecology, Université Laval, Québec
Ph.D. in forest productivity and modelling, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
Trophy handed out by the Cercle des ambassadeurs de Québec for the organization of the 2009 International Society for Ecological Modelling Conference in Quebec city.
- Mosseler, A., Major, J.E., M. Labrecque and G.R. Larocque. 2016. Allometric relationships from coppice structure of seven North American willow (Salix) species. Biomass and Bioenergy (Accepted for publication).
- Bosela, M.; Larocque, G.R.; Baycheva,T.; Valbuena, R.; Lier, M. 2016. Criteria and indicators of sustainable forest management. In Ecological Forest Management Handbook, G.R. Larocque (Editor). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. Pp. 381-413.
- Lupi, C.; Larocque, G.; DesRochers, A.; Labrecque, M.; Mosseler, A.; Major, J.; Beaulieu, J.; Tremblay, F.; Gordon, A.M.; Thomas, B.R.; Vézina, A.; Bouafif, H.; Cormier, D.; Sidders, D.; Krygier, R.; Thevathasan, N.; Riopel, M.; Ferland-Raymond, B. 2015. Evaluating sampling designs and deriving biomass equations for young plantations of poplar and willow clones. Biomass and Bioenergy 83:196-205.
- Bosela, M.; Tobin, B.; Seben, V.; Petras, R.; Larocque, G.R. 2015. Different mixtures of Norway spruce, silver fir, and European beech modify competitive interactions in central European mature mixed forests. Can. J. For. Res. 45:1577-1586. doi:10.1139/cjfr-2015-0219.
- Mamashita, T.; Larocque, G.R.; DesRochers, A.; Beaulieu, J.; Thomas, B.R.; Mosseler, A.; Major, J.; Sidders, D. 2015. Short-term growth and morphological responses to nitrogen availability and plant density in hybrid poplars and willows. Biomass and Bioenergy 81:88-97.
- Associate Editor of Ecoscience
- Guest Editor for special issues in Ecological Modelling
- Editor of Ecological Forest Management Handbook
- Adjunt Professor, Lakehead University, Faculty of Natural Resources Management
- Adjunct Professor, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT), Institut de recherche sur les forêts