Current research and/or projects
Our group is involved in the design, development and implementation of the biomonitoring component of the Canadian Health Measures Survey (CHMS) and other targeted biomonitoring studies.
Research and/or project statements
- Development and validation of biomarkers of exposure, susceptibility and biological effects useful in biomonitoring studies
- QA/QC analysis of analytical laboratory data pertaining to human biomonitoring
- Characterisation of human exposure to environmental chemicals
- Development of reference ranges for exposure assessment studies
Professional activities / interests
- Extensive experience in the trace organic analysis of environmental chemicals
- Developed and implimented QA/QC protocols in analytical laboratories
- Trained and supervised students in research projects
Education and awards
PhD, Analytical Chemistry, Queen’s University, Canada (2007)
M.Sc., Environmental Science, Memorial University, Canada (2003)
M.Sc., Applied Science, Thiagaraja College of Engineering, India (1995)
B.Sc., Applied Sciences, Government College of Engineering, India (1993)
NSERC Visiting Fellowship, Health Canada, Canada (2008)
William Patrick Doolan Award (2007) and Milton Hersey Graduate Fellowship (2004), Queen’s University, Canada
Saravanabhavan, G., Helferty, A., Hodson P.V., and Brown, R.S. (2007), “ A multi-dimensional HPLC method for PAHs and their alkyl homolog fingerprinting in Heavy Gas Oil fraction of Alaskan North Slope Crude” Journal of Chromatography A,1156, 124-133.
Hodson, P.V., C.W. Khan, G. Saravanabhavan, L.Clarke, R.S. Brown, B. Hollebone, Z. Wang, J. Short, K. Lee, T. King (2007), “Alkyl PAHs in crude oil cause chronic toxicity to early life stages of fish” In: 28th Artic and Marine Oil spill Program (AMOP) Technical Seminar, Environmental Science and Technology Division, Environment Canada, Proceedings of the 2007 AMOP symposium, Edmonton, AL, June 4-7, 2007, pp 291-300.
Khan, C.W., G. Saravanabhavan, L.M.J. Clarke, P.V. Hodson, B.P. Hollebone and Z. Wang (2004), “ EROD activity (CYP1A) inducing compounds in fractionated crude oil” In 27th Artic and Marine Oilspill Program (AMOP) Technical Seminar, Environmental Science and Technology Division, Environment Canada, Proceedings of the 2006 AMOP symposium, Edmonton, AL, June 8-10, 2004, pp 765-772.
Saravanabhavan, G., Helleur, R., and Hellou, J. (2002), “Analysis of steroid estrogens as endocrine disruptors in mussel tissue using GC-MS techniques” In: Proceedings of the 4th biennial international conference on monitoring and measurement of the environment, Toronto, Canada, pp: 71-75.