Guillermo Castilla, Ph.D.
Current research and/or projects
I am a remote sensing research scientist at the Northern Forestry Centre of Natural Resources Canada. I integrate geospatial technologies to map and monitor land cover, forest structure and composition, and natural (e.g., fire, insect outbreaks) and anthropogenic (forestry, oil and gas) disturbances in support of forest ecosystems and climate change science and policy.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Development of a framework for monitoring reclamation along seismic lines.
- Geospatial technologies for monitoring vegetation recovery on human disturbance features in Alberta’s boreal forest.
- Monitoring of northern Canada’s boreal forests through multi-source remote sensing.
- National Burned Area Composite (NBAC).
Professional activities / interests
- Land cover mapping.
- Change detection.
- Accuracy assessment.
- Object-based image analysis.
- Other activity: Supervision of one student from the University of Calgary and professionnal staff.
Education and awards
M.Sc. in Forest Engineering, Technical University of Madrid, Spain, 1989.
M.Sc. in Environmental Impact Assessment, Technical University and Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, 1991.
Ph.D. in Remote Sensing, Technical University of Madrid, Spain, 2003.
- Castilla, G. 2016. We Must all Pay More Attention to Rigor in Accuracy Assessment: Additional Comment to “The Improvement of Land Cover Classification by Thermal Remote Sensing”. Remote Sens. 2015, 7, 8368–8390. Remote Sensing 8 (4): 1-6 (article #288). doi:10.3390/rs8040288.
- Hird, J.N., Castilla, G., McDermid, G.J., Bueno, I.T. 2015. A Simple Transformation for Visualizing Non-seasonal Landscape Change From Dense Time Series of Satellite Data. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing (Volume:PP , Issue: 99 ). doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2419594.
- Castilla, G.; Hird J.; Hall, R.; Schieck, J.; McDermid, G. 2014. Completion and updating of a Landsat-based land cover polygon layer for Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 40(2): 92-109. doi:10.1080/07038992.2014.933073.
- Castilla, G.; Hernando, A.; Zhang, C.; Mauro, F.; McDermid, G. 2014. POLS : a versatile tool for sampling polygon GIS layers. Computers & Geosciences 01/2014; 67: 139–149. doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2013.10.003.
- Castilla, G.; Hernando, A.; Zhang, C.; McDermid, G. 2014. The impact of object size on the thematic accuracy of landcover maps. International Journal of Remote Sensing 35(3): 1029-1037. doi:10.1080/01431161.2013.875630.