I am the project lead/research engineer on Marine Energy Technology Group at CanmetENERGY-Ottawa. Focus of this group is to perform cross-cutting R&D to support the Canadian marine energy sector. Marine energy includes tidal current, wave and river hydrokinetic energy.
Current research and/or projects
- BC Marine Energy Resource Atlas and Technical Resource Assessment
- Establishing unit energy costs for wave, tidal and river hydrokinetics energy
- Assessing future growth potential energy production from marine energy
- Advancing River Hydrokinetic Energy R&D
- Methodology to identify river hydrokinetic resource locations using satellite images
- Performance monitoring of river hydrokinetic energy system
- Supporting development of river hydrokinetic turbine array configuration guidelines
Research and/or project statements
- Co-ordinating and providing guidance to technology and project developers in project planning and studies that would enable deployment of community-scale tidal and river hydrokinetic energy demo projects;
- Collaborating with NRCan programmes supporting the deployment of tidal and river hydrokinetic projects to incorporate delivery of technical performance data
- Monitoring and reporting on the performance of demo projects including specifying monitoring systems, performing technical analysis of data in terms of power generation, efficiency and reliability; and validating numerical modelling;
- Performing detailed resource assessment of attractive river hydrokinetic sites in MB and ON
Professional activities / interests
- Canadian delegate for IEA-Ocean Energy Systems Executive Committee
- NRCan’s representative on the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Technical Committee114 (IEC/TC114) on Marine Energy standards development
- Led and managed the IEC/TC114/62600-1 project team for developing the technical specification on marine energy terminology
Education and awards
- BEng in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, University of Surrey
International experience and/or work
- Worked as a technical expert in the micro to small hydropower R&D and project implementation for over 10 years in Nepal.
- Extensive international experience gained working with IEA_Ocean Energy Systems and IEC/TC114.