Georges Thériault, M.Sc.
My work consists in leading water management and water quality research and development studies on agricultural land to improve the agroecosystem's productivity and sustainability.
Current research and/or projects
My research and development activities and collaborations aim principally at developing and promoting beneficial management practices with the agricultural producers to better manage and protect the water resource.
Research and/or project statements
- Science, adoption and adaptation of pesticide rinsate biobeds to support Canadian agro-ecosystems resiliency and to protect water resources. (2018-2021).
- Assessment of the efficiency of stormwater ponds in intercepting pesticides (herbicides, insecticides and fungicides) and nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) from surface runoff and tile-drain water in the St. Pierre Lake Basin in support of the St. Lawrence Action Plan. (2016-2021).
- Interdisciplinary research laboratories in resilient agri-ecosystems: Frelighsburg, Sherbrooke and Missisquoi Bay. (2017-2020).
Education and awards
1985 - Bachelor in Biochemistry, Université de Moncton, Moncton (NB)
1991 - Master in Biochemistry, Université de Moncton, Moncton (NB)
1993 - Bachelor in Agronomy (soil-plant), Université Laval, Québec (QC)
- Gagnon, P., Chrétien, F., Thériault, G. 2017. Land leveling impact on surface runoff and soil losses: Estimation with coupled deterministic/stochastic models for a Québec agricultural field. Journal of Hydrology. 544: 488-499.
- Chrétien, F., Giroux, I., Thériault, G., Gagnon, P., Corriveau, J. 2017. Surface runoff and subsurface tile drain losses of neonicotinoids and companion herbicides at edge-of-field. Environmental Pollution. 224: 255-264.
- Hould-Gosselin, G., Rousseau, A.N., Gumiere, S.J., Hallema, D.W., Ratté-Fortin, C., Thériault, G., van Bochove, E. 2016. Modeling the sediment yield and the impact of vegetated filters using an event-based soil erosion model—a case study of a small Canadian watershed. Hydrological Processes. 30(16): 2835-2850.
- Chrétien, F., Gagnon, P., Thériault, G., Guillou, M. 2016. Performance Analysis of a Wet-Retention Pond in a Small Agricultural Catchment. Journal of Environmental Engineering. 142(4): doi:10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001081
- Allaire, S.E., Sylvain, C., Lange, S.F., Thériault, G., Lafrance, P. 2015. Potential Efficiency of Riparian Vegetated Buffer Strips in Intercepting Soluble Compounds in the Presence of Subsurface Preferential Flows. PLoS ONE. 10(7) doi 10.1371/journal.pone.0131840
- Jones, T. H., Muehlhauser, V., Thériault, G. 2014. Comparison of ZetaPlus 60S and nitrocellulose membrane filters for the simultaneous concentration of F-RNA coliphages, porcine teschovirus and porcine adenovirus from river water. Journal of Virological Method. 206: 5-11.
- Su, J., van Bochove, E., Auclair, J.-C., Thériault, G., Hu, C., Li, X. 2014. Phosphorus Fluxes at the Sediment-Water Interface in a Temperate Region Agricultural Catchment. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution. 225(1): 1-11.
- Su, J., van Bochove, E., Auclair, J.-C., Thériault, G., Denault, J.-T., Bossé, C., Li, X., Hu, C. 2014. Phosphorus algal availability and release potential in suspended and streambed sediments in relation to sediment and catchment characteristics. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 188: 169-179.
- Novotna, B., van Bochove, E., Theriault, G. 2014. Potential ecological impact of climate change on the water quality of an intensively managed agricultural watershed in Quebec, Canada. Journal of Water and Climate Change. 5(1): 81-99.
- van Bochove, E., Thériault, G., Denault, J. T., Dechmi, F., Allaire, S. E., Rousseau, A. N. 2012. Risk of phosphorus desorption from Canadian agricultural land: 25-year temporal trend. Journal of Environmental Quality. 41(5): 1402-1412.