Fadi Ali, ing, Ph. D., EMBA
Emerging technologies and advanced processes in food processing
Current research and/or projects
- Dr. Fadi Ali's research activities focus on the application of emerging technologies such as ohmic heating, ultrasound, ozonation and pulsed electric fields for food preservation and processing.
- Dr. Ali's research aims to optimize the use of these processes in order to stabilize the quality of fresh and processed foods, to extend their shelf life and to extract compounds with high added value (proteins, polyphenol extracts, extract of functional compound, etc.).
- These activities aim to explore the potential of these technologies to reduce food loss and waste as well as the valorization of food industry by-products and the protection of the environment
Research and/or project statements
- Thermoresistance of Clostridium sporogenes in maple sap concentrates and validation of the process: comparison of thermal and ohmic heating processes.
- Exploring the potential of emerging technologies for the preparation of Aquafabas in comparison with the traditional process: chemical composition and functional properties.
Professional activities / interests
- Create, manage and realise research and development projects in collaboration with academic and industrial partners
- Revise scientific articles and funding proposal.
- Present scientific and technical advice at board meetings of public and private bodies.
Education and awards
- EMBA : Technology management, 2013 | ESG-UQAM, Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- Ph. D: Food Engineering, 2004 | ParisTech, Paris, France.
- NSERC post-doctoral fellowship in governmental laboratory, AAFC, St-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada, 2005-2006.
- Industrial Postdoctoral fellowship, INITIA Foundation, AAFC, St-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada, 2008-2009.
International experience and/or work
- M.Sc : Biotechnologies and food industries, 1998 | ENSIA-INPL, Nancy, France.
- Ph. D: Research activities had carried out within a multinational research team of Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (CIRAD-FLHOR), 1999-2004 | CIRAD, Montpellier, France.
- Ali, F., Houde, J., Charron, C., Sadiki, M. (2022). Maple syrup production from sap concentrated to ultra high Brix by membrane technology: Composition and properties. Food Control journal, Volume 131, 108450 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2021.108450).
- Ali, F., Houde, J., Charron, C., Sadiki, M. (2021). Chemical composition and properties of maple sap treated with an ultra high membrane concentration process. Food Control, 123, 107728 (doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2020.107728).
- Lagace, L., Camara, M., Martin, N., Ali, F., Houde, J., Corriveau, S., Sadiki, M. (2019). Effect of the new high vacuum technology on the chemical composition of maple sap and syrup. Heliyon, 5 (6), 1-6 (doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e01786).
- Ali F., Assanta M.A., Robert, C. (2011). Gnetum africanum: A wild food plant from the African forest, with many nutritional and medicinal properties. Journal of Medicinal Food, 14, 9, 1-9 (doi: org/10.1089/jmf.2010.0327).
- Ali F., Mondor M., Ippersiel D., Lamarche F. (2011). Production of low-phytate soy protein isolate by membrane technologies: Impact of salt content of the extraction on the purification process. Journal of Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 12, 171-177 (doi : 10.1016/j.ifset.2011.01.013).
- Ali F., Ippersiel D., Lamarche F., Mondor, M. (2010). Characterization of low-phytate soy protein isolates produced by membrane technologies. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 11(1), p. 162-168 (doi : 10.1016/j.ifset.2009.08.004).
- Mondor, M., Ali, F., Ippersiel, D., Lamarche, F. (2010). Impact of ultrafiltration/diafiltration sequence on the production of soy protein isolate by membrane technologies. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 11 (3), p.491-497 (doi : 10.1016/j.ifset.2010.02.002).
- Ali, F., Dornier, M., Duquenoy, A., Reynes, M., (2003). Evaluating transfers of aroma compounds during the concentration of sucrose solutions by osmotic distillation in a batch-type pilot plant. Journal of Food Engineering, 60 (1), 1-8 (doi: 10.1016/S0260-8774(03)00003-7).
3600 Casavant Boulevard West
Saint-Hyacinthe, QC J2S 8E3Canada
Member of l'Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)