Eric Lavigne, PhD
Current research and/or projects
Currently, four major projects are underway as follows:
- To determine the associations between ambient air pollution, risk of birth outcomes and development of childhood diseases, including asthma, cancers and autism;
- To quantify the projected impacts of future temperatures based on different climate change scenarios on mortality and morbidity in Canada;
- To examine the effects of multiple environmental exposures (e.g., air pollution, greenspace, urban form characteristics, etc) on the development of childhood diseases;
- To evaluate the spatial and temporal patterns of aeroallergens in Canada;
Research and/or project statements
My research investigates how human health is affected by atmospheric systems, including air pollution, weather, climate change and aeroallergens. Much of this work is based on epidemiology, biostatistics, and environmental sciences. The research is designed to be policy-relevant and contribute to well-informed decision-making to better protect human health.
Professional activities / interests
- Health Effects of Air pollution, Weather, Aeroallergens and Urban Form Characteristics
- Projections of Health Impacts on Climate Change Scenarios
- Environmental Epidemiology
Education and awards
Education & Training History
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, Laval University, Canada (2012)
- M.Sc., Epidemiology, Laval University, Canada (2008)
- B.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Ottawa, Canada (2006)
Honours & Awards
Merit Award, Laval University (2012)
Doctoral Scolarship, Laval University (2008-2012)
- Lavigne E, Donelle J, Hatzopoulou M, Van Ryswyk K, van Donkelaar A, Martin RV, Chen H, Stieb DM, Gasparrini A, Crighton E, Yasseen Iii AS, Burnett RT, Walker M, Weichenthal S. Spatiotemporal Variations in Ambient Ultrafine Particles and the Incidence of Childhood Asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019 Feb 20.
- Stieb DM, Lavigne E, Chen L, Pinault L, Gasparrini A, Tjepkema M. Air pollution in the week prior to delivery and preterm birth in 24 Canadian cities: a time to event analysis. Environ Health. 2019 Jan 3;18(1):1
Lavigne E, Burnett RT, Weichenthal S. Association of short-term exposure to fine particulate air pollution and mortality: effect modification by oxidant gases. Sci Rep. 2018 Oct 31;8(1)
Lavigne É, Burnett RT, Stieb DM, Evans GJ, Godri Pollitt KJ, Chen H, van Rijswijk D, Weichenthal S. Fine Particulate Air Pollution and Adverse Birth Outcomes: Effect Modification by Regional Nonvolatile Oxidative Potential. Environ Health Perspect. 2018 Jul 31;126(7).
Guo Y, Gasparrini A, Li S, Sera F, Vicedo-Cabrera AM, de Sousa Zanotti Stagliorio Coelho M, Saldiva PHN, Lavigne E, Tawatsupa B, Punnasiri K, Overcenco A, Correa PM, Ortega NV, Kan H, Osorio S, Jaakkola JJK, Ryti NRI, Goodman PG, Zeka A, Michelozzi P, Scortichini M, Hashizume M, Honda Y, Seposo X, Kim H, Tobias A, Íñiguez C, Forsberg B, Åström DO, Guo YL, Chen BY, Zanobetti A, Schwartz J, Dang TN, Van DD, Bell ML, Armstrong B, Ebi KL, Tong S. Quantifying excess deaths related to heatwaves under climate change scenarios: A multicountry time series modelling study. PLoS Med. 2018 Jul 31;15(7).
Lavigne E, Belair MA, Rodriguez Duque D, Do MT, Stieb DM, Hystad P, et al. Effect modification of perinatal exposure to air pollution and childhood asthma incidence. Eur Respir J 2018 Feb 1.
Lavigne É, Bélair MA, Do MT, Stieb DM, Hystad P, van Donkelaar A, Martin RV, Crouse DL, Crighton E, Chen H, Brook JR, Burnett RT, Weichenthal S, Villeneuve PJ, To T, Cakmak S, Johnson M, Yasseen AS 3rd, Johnson KC, Ofner M, Xie L, Walker M. Maternal exposure to ambient air pollution and risk of early childhood cancers: A population-based study in Ontario, Canada. Environ Int. 2017 Mar;100:139-147.
Vicedo-Cabrera AM, Guo Y, Sera F, Huber V, Schleussner CF, Mitchell D, Tong S, de Sousa Zanotti Stagliorio Coelho M, Saldiva PHN, Lavigne E, Correa PM, Ortega NV, Kan H, Osorio S, Kyselý J, Urban A, Jaakkola JJK, Ryti NRI, Pascal M, Goodman PG, Zeka A, Michelozzi P, Scortichini M, Hashizume M, Honda Y, Hurtado-Diaz M, Cruz J, Seposo X, Kim H, Tobias A, Íñiguez C, Forsberg B, Åström DO, Ragettli MS, Röösli M, Guo YL, Wu CF, Zanobetti A, Schwartz J, Bell ML, Dang TN, Van DD, Heaviside C, Vardoulakis S, Hajat S, Haines A, Armstrong B, Ebi KL, Gasparrini A. Temperature-related mortality impacts under and beyond Paris Agreement climate change scenarios. Clim Change. 2018 Oct;150(3-4):391-402.
Bai L, Li Q, Wang J, Lavigne E, Gasparrini A, Copes R, et al. Increased coronary heart disease and stroke hospitalisations from ambient temperatures in Ontario. Heart 2018 Apr;104(8):673-679.
Lavigne E, Gasparrini A, Stieb DM, Chen H, Yasseen AS 3rd, Crighton E, To T, Weichenthal S, Villeneuve PJ, Cakmak S, Coates F, Walker M. Maternal Exposure to Aeroallergens and the Risk of Early Delivery. Epidemiology. 2017 Jan;28(1):107-115.
Lavigne, E., Yasseen, AY., Stieb, DM, Hystad, P, van Donkelaar, A., Martin, RV., Brook, JR, Crouse, DL., Burnett, RT, Chen, H., Weichenthal, S., Johnson, M., Villeneuve PJ. and Walker M. Ambient air pollution and adverse birth outcomes: differences by maternal comorbidities. Environ Res. 2016 Jul;148:457-66.
- Senior Epidemiologist, Air Health Science Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario (2013-Present)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa (2016-Present)