Dr. Yves Aubin
Research into the application of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to identify and characterize the structure of recombinant protein therapeutics and polysaccharide vaccines.
Current research and/or projects
Development of NMR-based methods for the assessment of novel recombinant protein therapeutics, biosimilars and polysaccharide vaccines.
Research and/or project statements
- Determination of the three-dimensional structure of recombinant protein therapeutics
- Application of NMR techniques to characterize glycoprotein-based therapeutics such as monoclonal antibodies (mAb)
- Study the effects of mAb-mAb interactions and mAb-excipients interaction on the structure and dynamics of the active pharmaceutical ingredient
Professional activities / interests
- Involved in international collaborative studies with World Health Organization, United States Pharmacopeia, US National Institute of Standards and Technology and US Food and Drug Administration
- Supervisor of co-op students, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows
- Provide expertise and technical support to the Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate as a certified analyst
Education and awards
- B.Sc. Chemistry, Université de Montréal -1987
- M.Sc. Chemistry, (NSERC) Université de Montréal – 1989
- Ph.D. Chemistry, (FCAR) Yale University - 1993
- NSERC post-doctoral Fellow, University of Toronto and Hospital for Sick Children- 1995
Li C, Bhavaraju S, Thibeault MP, Melanson J, Blomgren A, Rundlöf T, Kilpatrick E, Swann CJ, Rudd T, Aubin Y, Grant K, Butt M, Shum W, Kerim T, Sherwin W, Nakagawa Y, Pavón S, Arrastia S, Weel T, Pola A, Chalasani D, Walfish S, Atouf F, (2019) Survey of peptide quantification methods and comparison of their reproducibility: A case study using oxytocin, J Pharm Biomed Anal, 166:105-112
Hodgson DJ, Ghasriani H, Aubin Y (2019) Assessment of the higher order structure of Humira®, Remicade®, Avastin®, Rituxan®, Herceptin®, and Enbrel® by 2D-NMR fingerprinting. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 163:144-152.
Brinson RG, Marino JP, Delaglio F, Arbogast LW, Evans RM, Kearsley A, Gingras G, Ghasriani H, Aubin Y, Pierens GK, Jia X, Mobli M, Grant HG, Keizer DW, Schweimer K, Ståhle J, Göran Widmalm G, Zartler ER, Lawrence CW, Reardon PN, Cort JR, Xu P, Ni F, Yanaka S, Kato K, Parnham SR, Tsao D, Blomgren A, Rundlöf T, Trieloff N, Schmieder P, Ross A, Skidmore K, Chen K, Keire D, Freedberg DI, Suter-Stahel T, Wider G, Ilc G, Plavec J, Bradley SA, Baldisseri DM, Sforça ML, de Mattos Zeri AC, Wei JY, Szabo CM, Amezcua CA, Jordan JB, Wikström M (2019) Enabling adoption of 2D-NMR for the higher order structure assessment of monoclonal antibody therapeutics, MAbs, 11:94-105.doi:10.1080/19420862.2018.1544454
Bahadoor A, Brauer EK, Bosnich W, Schneiderman D, Johnston A, Aubin Y, Blackwell B, Melanson JE, Harris LJ. (2018) Gramillin A and B: Cyclic Lipopeptides Identified as the Nonribosomal Biosynthetic Products of Fusarium graminearum. J Am Chem Soc. 140:16783-16791, doi: 10.1021/jacs.8b10017.
Sauvé S, Gingras G and Aubin Y, (2017) NMR study of Mutations of Glycine-52 Catalytic Domain of Diphtheria Toxin: Implication for Conjugated Vaccines, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical doi: 10.1016/j.jpba.2017.11.056.
Brinson RG, Ghasriani H, Hodgson DJ, Adams K, McEwen K, Freedberg DI, Chen K, Keire DA, Aubin Y, and Marino JP (2017) Application of 2D-NMR with Room Temperature NMR Probes for the Assessment of the Higher Order Structure of Filgrastim. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 141:229-233
Hodgson DJ and Aubin Y, (2017) Assessment of the structure of pegylated-recombinant protein therapeutics by the NMR fingerprint assay, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 138:351-356.
Smith DGS, Gingras G, Aubin Y, Cyr TD (2016) Design and Expression of a QconCAT Protein to Validate Hi3 Protein Quantification of Influenza Vaccine Antigens, Journal of Proteomics 146: 133-40.
Ghasriani H, Belcourt PJ, Sauvé S, Hodgson DJ, Brochu D, Gilbert M, Aubin Y. (2013) A single GalNAc residue on Thr-106 modifies the dynamics and the structure of interferon alpha-2a around the glycosylation site. J. Biol. Chem. 288(1):247-54.
Sauvé S, Gingras G, Aubin Y. (2012) Backbone and side chain (1)H, (13)C and (15)N resonance assignments of the catalytic domain of diphtheria toxin. Biomol NMR Assign. 6:189-192.
Vipond C, Mulloy B, Rigsby P, Burkin K, Bolgiano B, MenC IS Working Group. (2012) Evaluation of a candidate International Standard for Meningococcal Group C polysaccharide. Biologicals. 40:353-63. (YA member of working group)
Sauvé S, Buijs D, Gingras G, Aubin Y. (2012) Interactions between the conserved hydrophobic region of the prion protein and dodecylphosphocholine micelles. J Biol Chem. 287, 1915-1922.
Panjwani N, Hodgson DJ, Sauvé S, Aubin Y. (2010) Assessment of the effects of pH, formulation and deformulation on the conformation of interferon alpha-2 by NMR. J Pharm Sci. 99:3334-3342.
Aubin Y, Jones C, Freedberg DI. (2010) NMR spectroscopy can obtain information on higher order structure of biopharmaceutical products. Biopharm Int Supplement. 28-34 
Aubin, Y, Gingras, G, Sauvé S. Assessment of the three-dimensional structure of recombinant protein therapeutics by NMR fingerprinting: demonstration on rhGM-CSF. (2008) Anal. Chem. 80:2623-2672.
- Adjunct professor at Carleton University, Departments of Chemistry
- Member of Advisory Committee for the Bachelor degree program in Biotechnology at Cité Collégiale (Ottawa, ON).