Dr. Ying Zhang
Contributing to the NRCan Earth Sciences Sectors mandate of providing Canadians the updated information about the land surface and changes, with remote sensing sciences and technologies.
Current research and/or projects
- Developing technology on mapping of land surface features (especially the man-made features) and their changes based on earth observation data.
- Developing methodology of spatial analysis based on integration of information from diverse sources, including from remote sensing and other geospatial data sources, for various applications.
- Developing image processing technology for improving information value of optical satellite imagery contaminated with clouds and cloud shadows.
- Efficient retrieval of the land surface characteristics, such as surface temperature, imperviousness, surface albedo and radiation budget, from remotely sensed imagery.
- Analysis of the trends and impacts of urbanization on natural environment and resources consumption.
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Atmospheric Physics, 1990, Cologne University, Germany.
Zhang Y., B. Guindon and X. Li. 2014. A robust approach for object-based detection and radiometric characterization of cloud shadow using haze optimized transformation. IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 52, 9, 5540-5547.
Zhang Y., B. Guindon, X. Li, N. Lantz, X. Zhu and Z. Sun. 2014. Synoptic mapping of high-rise buildings in urban areas based on combined shadow analysis and scale space processing. International journal of Remote Sensing. 35(5), 367-381.
Zhang Y., B. Guindon, N. Lantz, T. Shipman, D. Chao and D. Raymond. 2014. Quantification of anthropogenic and natural changes in oil sands mining infrastructure land based on RapidEye and SPOT5. International Journal of Applied Earth observation and Geoinformation. Vol.29, 31-43.
Zhang Y., B. Guindon and K. Sun. 2014. Spatial-temporal-thematic assimilation of Landsat-based and archived historical information for measuring urbanization processes. Journal of Land Use Science, DOI: 10.1080/1747423X.2014.939724.
Chen Z, Y. Zhang, B. Guindon, A. Roth, T. Esch and J. Shang. 2013. Urban land use mapping using high resolution SAR data based on density analysis and contextual information. Canadian J. Remote Sensing. Vol.38, No.6, 738-749.
Zhang Y., B. Guindon and S. Lemay. 2013. Development of a system for rapid topographic map revision of urban built-up areas. Canadian J. Remote Sensing. Vol.39, No. 5, 367-381.
Guo, H., Q. Huang Q., X. Li, Z. Sun and Y. Zhang. 2013. Spatiotemporal analysis of urban environment based on the vegetation-impervious surface-soil model. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol. 8.
Zhang Y., X. Li, B. Guindon, N. Lantz and Z. Sun. 2013. Target-Driven Extraction of Urban Land Surface Information from high-resolution imagery, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol.8.
Zhang Y. and B. Guindon. 2012. Multi-Spectral Analysis for Man-made Surface Extraction from RapidEye and SPOT5. Canadian J. Remote Sensing. Vol.38, No. 2, 1-17.
Zhang, Y. and B. Guindon. 2012. A Spatial-Spectral Methodology to Detect Narrow Shadows Cast by Low-Rise Buildings. PE&RS. Vol.79, No.3, 269-276.