Dr. Yemi Fasoyinu
Current research and/or projects
I have joined CanmetMATERIALS (CMAT), NRCan in 1993 as a Research Scientist. I have over 25 years of experience in solidification processing of metals and alloys. My research is focused on non-ferrous alloys such as: copper, aluminum and magnesium. I have a strong research partnership with many foundries, universities, and international organizations. I have also authored/co-authored over 100 publications in scientific journals, conference proceedings, and client and departmental reports.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Project Areas:
- Solidification of metals and alloys, physical metallurgy, and alloy development.
- Development of metal casting technology for Al-, Cu- and Mg-base alloys.
- Proven research experience with gravity, low pressure, and lost foam casting processes of non-ferrous alloys.
- Casting defect analysis and microstructure evaluation of foundry alloys.
Professional activities / interests
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering, University of British Columbia, 1989.
B.S (1980) and M.S (1982) degrees in Metallurgical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
AFS 2016 Best-Paper Award, Al Division of AFS.
Glenn Stahl Service Award, Al Division of AFS, 2006.
- Fasoyinu, Y, Weiss, D, Shah, J., and Bailey, R, " Permanent Mold Casting of a Structural Component from Al Alloy 206”, AFS Trans, Vol. 123, pp. 77-91 (2015).
- Fasoyinu, Y, Weiss, D, Shah, J., and Bailey, R, "Computer Simulation of a Structural Component Poured in Permanent Mold from Al Alloys 206 and 535”, AFS Trans, vol. 123, pp. 95-100 (2015).
- Fasoyinu, Y. and Sahoo, M., “Factors Influencing Hot Tearing of Aluminum Alloy 206.0 Poured in Metal Molds”, Proceedings of the 48th Conference of Metallurgists: Materials Development and Performance of Sulphur Capture Plants, August 23-26, 2009, Sudbury, ON, Canada, pp 3-17.
- Fasoyinu, F.A., Thomson, J.P, Sullivan, L. and Sahoo, M., "Characterization of Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloys 206.0 and 535.0 Poured in Metal Molds", AFS Trans, vol. 116, 2008, 15 pages.
- Fasoyinu, Y, Newcombe, P., and Sahoo, M., Lost Foam Casting of Magnesium Alloys AZ91D and AM50, AFS Trans, vol. 114, (2006).