Dr. Yefang Jiang, P.Geo.
Dr. Jiang has initiated, led and collaborated in Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) research aimed at developing new knowledge, fostering innovation and increasing the adoption and commercialization of agri-food and agri-based products, processes or practices in Canada. His research and achievements contribute to the AAFC Science and Technology Branch strategic objective of enhancing the environmental performance of the Canadian agricultural system.
Current research and/or projects
Dr. Jiang integrates aspects of hydrogeology, hydrology and agronomy in research on agricultural beneficial management practices (BMPs), including the use of crop rotations, cover crops, soil amendments and supplemental irrigation, with the aim of mitigating the impacts of agriculture on water quality (with a focus on nitrogen management in intensive potato production).
Research and/or project statements
• AAFC A-base project “Improving crop production resiliency using innovative BMPs” (2018–2021). Dr. Jiang is leading this project which has total funding of $490K. The research objective is to assess the effects on soil health, crop performance and water quality of using willow chips as a soil amendment after the potato harvest. To this end, plot-scale experiments were conducted at the AAFC Harrington and Fredericton farms.
• AAFC Living Labs Atlantic “Using a living laboratory approach to develop and transfer innovative soil and water quality BMPs in Prince Edward Island” (2019–2023). Dr. Jiang is co-leading this project which has total funding of $3.5 million. In this project, he is leading the research component aimed at demonstrating and modelling the impacts of a set of BMPs and land use on water quality at the watershed and field scales. This work is being conducted at four sub-watershed sites in the Dunk River watershed and one field site in the Souris River watershed in Prince Edward Island. He is collaborating with farmers, NGOs, academia and scientists from AAFC, DFO, ECCC and CFIA.
Professional activities / interests
- Water quality and quantity management
- Development and assessment of agricultural beneficial management practices (BMPs)
- Soil nitrogen and carbon dynamics modelling
- Numerical modelling of subsurface flow, mass and heat transport
Education and awards
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering with a focus on subsurface hydrology, University of Manitoba, 2002
- Ph.D., Hydrology, Institute of Geographic Sciences & Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000
- M.Sc., Hydrogeology, China University of Geosciences, Beijing, China, 1989
- B.Sc., Geology, East China Institute of Technology, Jiangxi, China, 1896
International experience and/or work
- Dr. Jiang taught groundwater courses and provided groundwater numerical modelling consulting services at Hebei GEO University from 1989 to 1997.
- Dr. Jiang provided consulting services to US Southwest Research Institute to calibrate the groundwater flow model of the Edwards Aquifer by using Bayesian inversion during 2001–2002.
Khakbazan, M., Nyiraneza, J., Jiang, Y., Huang J. 2021. Conservation tillage and cover crop management practices in potato production to improve soil health and profitability, July 26-28, 2021. Soil and Water Conservation Society 76th International Annual Conference, Virtual.2021 - View publication details
Arcand, Y., Bittman, S., Britten, M., Champagne, C., Daneshfar, B., David, S., Davidson, A., Derdall, E. Drury, C., Eden, J., Handyside, P., Hung, Y., Javorek, S., Jiang, Y., Jingui, Y., Jordan, C., Joosse, P., Li, S., McAuley, E., McNairn, H., MacDonald, D., Pacheco, A., Powers, J., Reid, K., Smith, E. L., Topp, E., Vanrobaeys, J., Villeneuve, S., Wilson, H., Yang, J. Agricultural Land Use. Synthesis of Science. Canada Water Agency Report. Freshwater Science Assessment-Line of Inquiry. Nov. 20, 2020.2020 - View publication details
Khakbazan, M., Nyiraneza, J., Jiang, Y., Rodd, V., Huang, J., Zebarth, B., Fuller, K., Smith, E., Xie, R. (2020). Economic effect of fall vs. spring plowing of forage on following potato production in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Agrosystems, Geosciences and Environment, [online] 3(1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/agg2.200102020 - View publication details
Nyiraneza, J., Thompson, B., He, J., Stiles, K., Geng, X., Jiang, Y., Fillmore, S. (2019). Long-Term Changes in Mehlich-3-Extractable Sulfur and Magnesium under Intensive Agriculture in Eastern Canada. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, [online] 50(20), 2505-2520. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00103624.2019.16673752019 - View publication details
Benjannet, R., Khiari, L., Nyiraneza, J., Thompson, B., He, J., Geng, X., Stiles, K., Jiang, Y., Fillmore, S. (2018). Identifying environmental phosphorus risk classes at the scale of prince edward Island, Canada. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, [online] 98(2), 317-329. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjss-2017-00762018 - View publication details
Rodd, A.V., Smith, E., Fuller, K. , Burton, D., Anderson, S., Henry, R., McMullen, D., Grimmett, M., Khakbazan, M., Fillmore, S., Nyiraneza, J., Janes, D., Jenkins, S., Murray, B., MacDonald, B., Jiang, Y. and Pratt, W. 2017. Temperature Based Fall Plowing. CRDC / FRDC Seminar Series 2016 / 2017. January 18th.2017 - View publication details
Rodd, A.V., Anderson, S., Zoski, E., Lapen, D., Smith, E., KHakbazan, M., Henry, R., Murray, B., Grimmett, M., McMullen, D., Burton, D., Fillmore, S. Janes, D., Nyiraneza, J., Khakbazan, M., Kuehnbaum, A., Handyside, P., Jiang, Y. and Jenkins, S. 2017. Harrington Woodchip Denitrification Bio-reactors- What are they and why are we interested. CRDC/ FRDC Seminar Series 2016/2017 January 18th.2017 - View publication details
Jiang, Y. (2016). "Reducing nutrient loads to receiving waters in PEI.", Invited presentation to Holland College students, February 1, 2016. (Presentation)2016 - View publication details
Rodd, V., Mills, A., Zebarth, B., Smith, E., Nyiraneza, J., Grimmett, M., Khakbazan, M., Mohr, R., Fillmore, S. and Jiang, Y. Jan. 29, 2016. Spring vs fall plowing research. PEI Federation of Agriculture Annual Meeting. Charlottetown, PEI.2016 - View publication details
Bizimungu, B., Nyiraneza, J., Fuller, K.D., Bishop, G.A., Jiang, Y., and Kirby, C.W. (2015). "Responses of new potato cultivars to phosphorus fertilization in New Brunswick, Canada.", 99th annual meeting of the potato Association of America, Portland, Maine, USA, July 19-23, 2015.2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y. (2015). "How do PEI aquifer/stream systems respond to groundwater extraction stresses?", Invited presentations to PEI Water Act public consultation events at Charlottetown and Crapaud, November 5 & 9, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Chapman, S., Malenica, A., Parker, B., Cherry, J., Murray, B., Nyiraneza, J., Ryan, M.C., Grimmett, M.G., and Rodd, A.V. (2015). "Understanding Controls of Matrix Storage on Nitrate Transport in Fractured-porous Bedrock Aquifer.", 2015 Stakeholders Day, Harrington, PEI, Canada, July 14, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Nyiraneza, J., Zebarth, B.J., Murray, B., Khakbazan, M., and Fuller, K.D. (2015). "Postponding forage plowing from fall to spring enhances groundwater quality and economic resiliency of potato production.", 9th World Potato Congress, Beijing, China, July 28-30, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y. (2015). "APH Research: advancing knowledge for improving crop production and minimizing environmental risks.", Presentation to scientific program auditor (Beth Garner Senior Consultant with Ference Weicker & Company Ltd.) on behalf of Charlottetown Research and Development Centre, June 26, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Nyiraneza, J., Jannet, R.B., Fuller, K.D., Bizimungu, B., Bishop, G.A., Jiang, Y., Khiari, L., Grimmett, M.G., Rodd, A.V., Mills, A.A.S., and Ziadi, N. (2015). "Critical phosphorus concentrations and P saturation ratio levels under potato production in Atlantic Canada.", Canadian Soil Science Society (IUSS-CSSS-AQSSS) Conference, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, July 5-10, 2015.2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Nyiraneza, J., Murray, B., Khakbazan, M., Grimmett, M.G., Somers, G.H., and Thompson, B. (2015). "Spring plowing enhances water quality and potato production.", 2015 Stakeholders Day, Harrington, PEI, Canada, July 14, 2015. (Poster)2015 - View publication details
Ryan, M.C., Guselle, N.J., and Jiang, Y. (2015). "Understanding Decadal Scale Groundwater Trends in Western PEI.", 2015 Canadian Water Network meeting, UPEI, Charlottetown, PEI, June 18, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y. (2015). "Water Quality & Supply Related to Potato Production research.", Science briefing to AAFC Minister Lawrence MacAulay, December 21, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Chapman, S., Jiang, Y., and Li, Q. (2015). "Modeling matrix diffusion effects on nitrate transport and fate in a sedimentary bedrock aquifer.", 2015 Canadian Water Network meeting, UPEI, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, June 18, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y. (2015). "Agro-ecosystem (APH): water quality & BMP research.", Science briefing to AAFC Assistant Deputy Minister Brian Gray, November 18, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
- 1 of 4
- next ›
- Professional Geoscientist with Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland & Labrador (PEGNL) since 2003
- Member of International Association of Hydrogeologists since 2018
- Member of American Soil Science Society since 2019