Dr. Yefang Jiang, P.Geo.
Dr. Jiang has initiated, led and collaborated in Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) research aimed at developing new knowledge, fostering innovation and increasing the adoption and commercialization of agri-food and agri-based products, processes or practices in Canada. His research and achievements contribute to the AAFC Science and Technology Branch strategic objective of enhancing the environmental performance of the Canadian agricultural system.
Current research and/or projects
Dr. Jiang integrates aspects of hydrogeology, hydrology and agronomy in research on agricultural beneficial management practices (BMPs), including the use of crop rotations, cover crops, soil amendments and supplemental irrigation, with the aim of mitigating the impacts of agriculture on water quality (with a focus on nitrogen management in intensive potato production).
Research and/or project statements
• AAFC A-base project “Improving crop production resiliency using innovative BMPs” (2018–2021). Dr. Jiang is leading this project which has total funding of $490K. The research objective is to assess the effects on soil health, crop performance and water quality of using willow chips as a soil amendment after the potato harvest. To this end, plot-scale experiments were conducted at the AAFC Harrington and Fredericton farms.
• AAFC Living Labs Atlantic “Using a living laboratory approach to develop and transfer innovative soil and water quality BMPs in Prince Edward Island” (2019–2023). Dr. Jiang is co-leading this project which has total funding of $3.5 million. In this project, he is leading the research component aimed at demonstrating and modelling the impacts of a set of BMPs and land use on water quality at the watershed and field scales. This work is being conducted at four sub-watershed sites in the Dunk River watershed and one field site in the Souris River watershed in Prince Edward Island. He is collaborating with farmers, NGOs, academia and scientists from AAFC, DFO, ECCC and CFIA.
Professional activities / interests
- Water quality and quantity management
- Development and assessment of agricultural beneficial management practices (BMPs)
- Soil nitrogen and carbon dynamics modelling
- Numerical modelling of subsurface flow, mass and heat transport
Education and awards
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering with a focus on subsurface hydrology, University of Manitoba, 2002
- Ph.D., Hydrology, Institute of Geographic Sciences & Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000
- M.Sc., Hydrogeology, China University of Geosciences, Beijing, China, 1989
- B.Sc., Geology, East China Institute of Technology, Jiangxi, China, 1896
International experience and/or work
- Dr. Jiang taught groundwater courses and provided groundwater numerical modelling consulting services at Hebei GEO University from 1989 to 1997.
- Dr. Jiang provided consulting services to US Southwest Research Institute to calibrate the groundwater flow model of the Edwards Aquifer by using Bayesian inversion during 2001–2002.
Jiang, Y., Nishimura, P., van den Heuvel, M.R., MacQuarrie, K.T.B., Crane, C.S., Xing, Z., Raymond, B.G., Thompson, B.L. (2015). Modeling land-based nitrogen loads from groundwater-dominated agricultural watersheds to estuaries to inform nutrient reduction planning, 529(P1), 213-230. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.07.0332015 - View publication details
Nyiraneza, J., Peters, R.D., Rodd, V.A., Grimmett, M.G., Jiang, Y. (2015). Improving productivity of managed potato cropping systems in Eastern Canada: Crop rotation and nitrogen source effects, 107(4), 1447-1457. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/agronj14.04302015 - View publication details
Zebarth, B.J., Danielescu, S., Nyiraneza, J., Ryan, M.C., Jiang, Y., Grimmett, M., Burton, D.L. (2015). Controls on nitrate loading and implications for BMPs under intensive potato production systems in prince edward island, Canada, 35(1), 30-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gwmr.120882015 - View publication details
Chapman, S., Parker, B., Cherry, J., Munn, J., Malenica, A., Ingleton, R., Jiang, Y., Padusenko, G., Piersol, J. (2015). Hybrid multilevel system for monitoring groundwater flow and agricultural impacts in fractured sedimentary bedrock, 35(1), 55-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gwmr.120842015 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Jamieson, T., Nyiraneza, J., Somers, G., Thompson, B., Murray, B., Grimmett, M., Geng, X. (2015). Effects of fall vs. spring plowing forages on nitrate leaching losses to groundwater, 35(1), 43-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gwmr.120832015 - View publication details
Li, Q., Qi, J., Xing, Z., Li, S., Jiang, Y., Danielescu, S., Zhu, H., Wei, X., Meng, F.R. (2014). An approach for assessing impact of land use and biophysical conditions across landscape on recharge rate and nitrogen loading of groundwater, 196 114-124. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2014.06.0282014 - View publication details
Li, Q., Xing, Z., Danielescu, S., Li, S., Jiang, Y., Meng, F.R. (2014). Data requirements for using combined conductivity mass balance and recursive digital filter method to estimate groundwater recharge in a small watershed, New Brunswick, Canada, 511 658-664. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.01.0732014 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Zebarth, B., Love, J. (2011). Long-term simulations of nitrate leaching from potato production systems in Prince Edward Island, Canada, 91(3), 307-325. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10705-011-9463-z2011 - View publication details
Jiang, Y., Somers, G. (2009). Modeling effects of nitrate from non-point sources on groundwater quality in an agricultural watershed in Prince Edward Island, Canada, 17(3), 707-724. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10040-008-0390-22009 - View publication details
- Professional Geoscientist with Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland & Labrador (PEGNL) since 2003
- Member of International Association of Hydrogeologists since 2018
- Member of American Soil Science Society since 2019