Dr. Xianqin Yang
I am a research scientist, conducting work in the area of meat safety and preservation.
Current research and/or projects
Since 2007, Dr. Yang’s research has been primarily focusing on reduction of microbiological contamination of meat during the primary production and distribution process, i.e. from slaughtering of animals to steaks on the plate, including identification, tracking and control source of contamination, mechanisms of survival and persistence of E. coli in meat processing environments, effective intervention strategies for controlling enteric pathogens, and shelf-life extension of meat.
1. Comparative genetic characterization of E. coli O157:H7 from pigs and cattle, feces and carcasses/Alberta Innovates/2019-2022
2. Exploring the potential of using Carnobacterium maltaromaticum A5 as a bioprotective agent in meat plants to improve the safety and shelf life of meat/Beef Cattle Research Council/2019-2020
3. If E. coli shed by cattle is becoming resistant to antimicrobial interventions in abattoirs, how best to raise the hurdles/Beef Cattle Research Council/ 2018-2022
4. Chlorine resistant Escherichia coli in beef processing facilities: selective pressure for heat resistant pathogens/Alberta Innovates/ 2019-2022.
5. Understanding biofilm community dynamics/Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/2019-2022
6. Beef Quality Canada's National Beef Quality Audit at Retail and Processing/Beef Cluster/2021-2023
- Yang, X., Tran, F., & Klassen, M. D. (2020). Heat resistance in Escherichia coli and its implications on ground beef cooking recommendations in Canada. Journal of Food Safety, n/a(n/a), e12769. doi:10.1111/jfs.12769.
- Zhang, P., Ward, P., McMullen, L. M., & Yang, X. (2020). A case of ‘blown pack’ spoilage of vacuum-packaged pork likely associated with Clostridium estertheticum in Canada. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 70(1), 13-20. doi:10.1111/lam.13236.
- Yang X, Wang H, Badoni M, Zawadski S, McLeod B, Holman D, Uttaro B. 2019. Effects of a novel three-step sous-vide cooking and subsequent chilled storage on the microbiota of beef steaks. Meat Science 107938.
- Zhang P, Gänzle M, Yang X. 2019. Comparative analysis of Carnobacterium spp. from meat reveals complementary antibacterial effects between bacteriocins and organic acids. Applied Environmental Microbiology doi:10.1128/aem.01227-19:AEM.01227-19.
- de Souza Figueiredo EE, Yang X, Zhang P, Reuter T, Stanford K. 2019. Comparison of heating block and water bath methods to determine heat resistance in Shiga-toxin producing Escherichia coli with and without the locus of heat resistance. Journal of Microbiological Methods 164:105679.
- Visvalingam J, Wang H, Ells TC, Yang X. 2019. Facultative anaerobes shape the multispecies biofilms composed of meat processing surface bacteria and Escherichia coli O157:H7 or Salmonella Serovar Typhimurium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology doi:10.1128/aem.01123-19:AEM.01123-19.
- Visvalingam, J, Zhang, P, Ells, TC, Yang X. 2018. Dynamics of biofilm formation by Salmonella Typhimurium and beef processing plant bacteria in mono- and dual-species cultures. Microbial Ecology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00248-018-1304-z
- Gill, A, Tamber, S, Yang, X. 2019. Relative response of populations of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica to exposure to thermal, alkaline and acidic treatments. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 293, 94-101.
- Laidlaw AM, Gänzle MG, Yang X. 2018. Comparative assessment of qPCR enumeration methods that discriminate between live and dead Escherichia coli O157:H7 on beef. Food Microbiology 79, 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2018.11.002
- Zhang P, Badoni M, Gänzle M, Yang X. 2018. Growth of Carnobacterium spp. isolated from chilled vacuum-packaged meat under relevant acidic conditions. International Journal of Food Microbiology 286:120-127.
- Yang X, Wang H, He A, Tran F. 2018. Biofilm formation and susceptibility to biocides of recurring and transient Escherichia coli isolated from meat fabrication equipment. Food Control 90, 205-211. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.02.050
- Yang X, Devos J, Wang H, Klassen MD. 2018. Microbiological condition of retail beef steaks: A Canadian survey. Journal of Food Research 7:1-6.
- Wang H, He A, Yang X. 2018. Dynamics of microflora on conveyor belts in a beef fabrication facility during sanitation. Food Control 85, 42-47.
- Visvalingam J, Ells TC, Yang X. 2017. Impact of persistent and non-persistent generic Escherichia coli and Salmonella sp. recovered from a beef packing plant on biofilm formation by E. coli O157. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 123, 1512-1521. doi:10.1111/jam.13591.
- Visvalingam J, Vahmani P, Rolland DC, Dugan MER, Yang X. 2017. Anti-mutagenic properties of mono- and dienoic acid biohydrogenation products from beef fat. Lipids. 52:651-655.
- Yang X, Devos J, Klassen MD. 2017. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in minute steaks cooked under selected conditions. Journal of Food Protection. 2017, Vol. 80:1641-1647.
- Yang X, Tran F, Wolters T. 2017. Microbial ecology of decontaminated and not decontaminated beef carcasses. Journal of Food Research. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5539/jfr.v6n5p85.
- Yang X, He, A, Badoni M, Tran F, Wang H. 2017. Mapping sources of contamination of Escherichia coli on beef in the fabrication facility of a commercial beef packing plant. Food Control 75:153-159.
- Visvalingam J, Liu Y, Yang X. 2017. Impact of dry chilling on the genetic diversity of Escherichia coli on beef carcasses and on the survival of E. coli and E. coli O157. International Journal of Microbiology 244:62-66.
- Yang X, He A, Badoni M, Tran F, Wang H. 2017. Mapping sources of contamination of Escherichia coli on beef in the fabrication facility of a commercial beef packing plant. Food Control. 75:153-159.
- Mercer RG, Walker BD, Yang X, McMullen LM, Ganzle MG. 2017. The locus of heat resistance (LHR) mediates heat resistance in Salmonella enterica, Escherichia coli and Enterobacter cloacae. Food Microbiology 64: 96-103.
- Badoni M, Klassen MD, Wang H, Youssef MK, Devos J, Gill CO, Yang X. 2017. Development and testing of a prototype automatic trim sampler. Food Control. 77:82-87.
- Yang X, Wang H, He A, Tran F. 2017. Microbial efficacy and impact on the population of Escherichia coli of a routine sanitation process for the fabrication facility of a beef packing plant. Food Control 71, 353-357.