Dr. Wojciech Kasprzak, P. Eng.
Current research and/or projects
- Alloys and processes development for automotive materials.
- Optimization of melt synthesis and casting process for alloys used for automotive battery applications (advisory).
Professional activities / interests
- Leading operational activities to support the delivery of CanmetMATERIAL's science programs in materials for energy.
- Scientific projects coordination and clients’ consultation on aspect of materials engineering and physical metallurgy of non-ferrous and ferrous alloys as well as manufacturing technologies.
Education and awards
Doctor of Engineering (Materials Science), Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland, 1998.
Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, 1994.
Minerals and Metals Sector Recognition Award for Science and Policy Integration, 2014.
CanmetMATRIALS Recognition Award for Outstanding Leadership, 2013.
Best Paper Award for American Foundry Society in Aluminum Division, 2010.
Polish Prime Minister’s Award for Prize-Winning Doctoral Thesis, 1999.
- Kasprzak, W., Kurita, H., Birsan, G., & Amirkhiz, B. S. (2016). Hardness control of Al-Si HPDC casting alloy via microstructure refinement and tempering parameters. Materials and Design, 103, 365-376. doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2016.03.093.
- Kasprzak, W., Czerwinski, F., Niewczas, M., & Chen, D. L. (2015). Correlating hardness retention and phase transformations of Al and Mg cast alloys for aerospace applications. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 24(3), 1365-1378. doi:10.1007/s11665-015-1392-6.
- Kasprzak, W., Amirkhiz, B. S., & Niewczas, M. (2014). Structure and properties of cast Al-Si based alloy with Zr-V-Ti additions and its evaluation of high temperature performance. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 595, 67-79. doi:10.1016/j.jallcom.2013.11.209.
- Kasprzak, W., Chen, D. L., & Shaha, S. K. (2013). Heat treatment development for a rapidly solidified heat resistant cast Al-Si alloy. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 22(7), 1839-1847. doi:10.1007/s11665-013-0578-z.
- Kasprzak, W., Sediako, D., Walker, M., Sahoo, M., & Swainson, I. (2011). Solidification analysis of an Al-19 pct Si alloy using in-situ neutron diffraction. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A: Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 42(7), 1854-1862. doi:10.1007/s11661-011-0666-3.
Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario (2010 - to date).
Adjunct Associate Professor at University of Windsor, Ontario (2008-2013).