Dr. Wayne Xu
1. Lead a bioinformatics team for Bioinformatics Research Support
2. Research in genomics and bioinformatics for genome, transcriptome, proteomics, epigentics, genomic variations, gene regulation, trait associtation studies.
Current research and/or projects
- Targeted and useful genomics for barley and oat (TUGOAT): funded (2019-2024) by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) project J-002373 in partnership with Génome Québec and the National Barley Cluster led by the Barley Council of Canada (BCC) through the Canadian Agriculture Partnership (CAP).
- Crop Rotation Affects Disease Suppressive Soil Microbiomes: funded (2021-2023) by Ag Action Manitoba Program – Research and Innovation.
Research and/or project statements
- Genome assembly: Using Illumina paired-end reads, long mate-pair reads, PacBio sequences, 10X chromium linked read libraries, and chromosome conformation capture sequencing (Hi-C) to assemble genome to chromosome pseudomolecules.
- Transcriptome differentiation studies: using RNA-seq for transcriptome differentiation analyses
- Genomic variation studies: using whole genome sequencing (WGS), genotype-by-sequencing (GBS), and whole exome capture (WEC) sequencing to analyze SNPs/INDELs.
- Genome-wise association study (GWAS): Developing AI learning models for wheat and barley GWAS to aid in genomic selection (GS) and genomic edit (GE).
- Microbiome: Using whole genome sequencing or 16S sequencing for microbiota and microbiome studies.
- Gene functional analysis and annotation: Using database and computational tools for gene, protein, and genome annotations.
Professional activities / interests
- Journal review
- Grant review
Education and awards
- Ph.D. Microbiology and Immunology, Nanjing Agricultural University and Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry, CAS.
- BSc. Computer Science, University of Manitoba
J. R. Tucker, A. Badea, W. G. Legge, S. Maiti, Z. Yao, W. Xu, and W.G. D. Fernando. 2020. Transcriptomic analysis of a low-DON, in vitro selected, two-row malting barley variety in response to infection by multiple chemotypes of Fusarium graminearum. 2020 National Fusarium Head Blight Forum, December 2020, virtual. Poster#36.2020 - View publication details
Rampitsch M, Huang M, Zhen Y, Radovanovic N, Xu W, Rampitsch C, Bykova NV (2019). Profiling of histone acetylation and methylation marks associated with embryo and aleurone tissue-specific epigenetic regulation of seed dormancy in wheat. ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics. Atlanta, Georgia, June 2 - 6, 2019. Poster presentation, Abstract ID number: 299846.2019 - View publication details