Dr. Wahiba Yaici, P.Eng., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Renewables and integrated energy systems; Hybrid power and energy systems, Renewable heat and power; Thermal/Thermochemical heat storage systems; Hybrid energy storage systems for the electric vehicles
Current research and/or projects
I research and develop hybrid energy efficient and environmentally sustainable renewable power and energy technologies for building applications and for electric vehicles. The focus of my research is on the experimental, modelling, simulation and optimisation using advanced simulation tools (Computational Fluid Dynamics, Artificial Intelligence methods (ANNs, ANFIS), etc.) for the optimal design, performance and emissions predictions of micro-combined heat and power systems, solar/heat-driven tri-generation, thermal/thermo-chemical energy storage, and hybrid energy storage systems for electric vehicles. The aim of my R&D investigations is to improve the energy efficiency, reduce cost, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from energy generation by increasing use of renewables and reducing reliance on unsustainable energy sources such as coal, kerosene and diesel.
Research and/or project statements
Combined cooling, heat and power systems
Simulation tools for optimising organic Rankine cycle-based tri-generation systems and hybrid energy systems
Design and experimentation of thermal/thermochemical heat storage systems
Solar adsorption and absorption cooling systems for buildings
Hybrid organic Rankine cycle-based furnace performance evaluation
Micro gas turbine performance evaluation
Smart energy networks
Modelling and simulation of hybrid battery/supercapacitor energy storage system for the electric vehicles
Professional activities / interests
Serve in international expert panels on renewable and hybrid energy systems, power generation, co-tri generation, solar energy systems, advanced power cycles, thermal energy storage, hybrid energy storage for EVs.
Serve as Track and Session organizer, Technical Program Committees, Chair, in many world-renowned international conferences (ASME, IEEE, ICRERA, COMSOL, etc.).
Serve as expert reviewer of manuscripts for publication in many international scientific journals and conferences (Awarded Certificates of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing in recognition of the contribution made to the quality of international journals (Applied Thermal Engineering & others). Top 1% of reviewers in Engineering from Publons Peer Review Awards 2017-18).
Give presentations in national and international conferences and workshops.
Participate in technical committees as member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - Power & Energy Society (IEEE-PES), COMSOL, Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) and many others.
Voting member and contributor of the ASHRAE SPC204 Standard project committee for the development of the Standard Test Method for micro-combined heat and power SPC204: “Method of Test for Rating Micro-Combined Heat and Power Devices”.
Serve as Associate Editor, International Journal of Smart Grid.
Supervise undergraduate and graduate students and researchers.
Networking and collaborating with power generation industry and utility companies, research institutes, and universities.
Education and awards
B.Eng. in Chemical Engineering, École Nationale Polytechnique, Algiers, Algeria
M.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, Nancy, France
Ph.D. in Process Engineering, Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, Nancy, France
International experience and/or work
Aerothermal-Combustion Engineering/Technology Specialist & Project Lead, Gas Turbine Energy Research & Technology Centre, Rolls-Royce, Montreal
Principal Senior Process Engineer/Project Manager, BPR-Bechtel Ltd. (Tetra-Tech), Montreal
Process Engineer/Project Lead, KSH Ltd. (RWE), Montreal
Research Engineer/Program & Project Manager, Natural Gas Technologies Centre (Gaz Métropolitain-Gaz de France), Montreal
Associate Professor, Ecole Nationale Polytechnique, Algiers, Algeria
Adjunct Professor/Design Project Lead, McGill University, Montreal
List of Scientific Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- W. Yaïci, M. Ghorab M., E. Entchev, Numerical Analysis of Heat and Energy Recovery Ventilators Performance based on CFD for Detailed Design, Applied Thermal Engineering 51 (2013) 770-780.
- W. Yaïci, M. Ghorab M., E. Entchev, S. Hayden, Three-dimensional Unsteady CFD Simulations of a Thermal Storage Tank Performance for Optimum Design, Applied Thermal Engineering 60 (2014) 152-163.
- W. Yaïci, M. Ghorab, E. Entchev, 3D CFD Analysis of the Effect of Inlet Air Flow Maldistribution on the Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Performances of Plate-fin-and-tube Laminar Heat Exchanger, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 74 (2014) 490-500.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Performance Prediction of a Solar Thermal Energy System Using Artificial Neural Networks, Applied Thermal Engineering 73 (2014) 1346-1357.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System Modelling for Performance Prediction of a Solar Thermal Energy System, Renewable Energy 73 (2016) 1346-1357.
- M. Longo, W. Yaïci, D. Zaninelli, “Team Play” between Renewable Energy Sources and Vehicle Fleet to Decrease Air Pollution, Sustainability 8 (2016) 27.
- W. Yaïci, M. Ghorab, E. Entchev, 3D CFD Study of the Effect of Inlet Air Flow Maldistribution on Plate-fin-and-tube Heat Exchanger Design and Thermal Hydraulic Performance, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 101 (2016) 527–541.
- M. Longo, W. Yaïci, D. Zaninelli, “Team Play” between Renewable Energy Sources and Vehicle Fleet to Decrease Air Pollution, Sustainability 2016, 8, 27.
- G. Angrisani, E. Entchev, C. Roselli, F. M. Sasso, F. Tariello, W. Yaici, Dynamic simulation of a solar heating and cooling system for an office building located in Southern Italy, Applied Thermal Engineering 103 (2016) 377–390.
- S. Sbilio, G. Ciampi, A. Rosato, E. Entchev, W. Yaïci, Parametric Analysis of a Solar Heating and Cooling System for an Italian Multi-Family House, International Journal of Heat and Technology, 34 (2016), Special Issue 2.
- W. Yaïci, M. Longo, E. Entchev, F. Foiadelli, Simulation Study on the Effect of Reduced Inputs of Artificial Neural Networks on the Predictive Performance of the Solar Energy System, Sustainability 9 (2017) 1382.
- M. Brenna, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, Modelling and Simulation of Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Stations Driven by High Speed Railway Systems, Energies 10 (2017) 1268.
- L. Kouchachvili, W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Hybrid Battery/Supercapacitor Energy Storage System for the Electric Vehicles, Journal of Power Sources 374 (2018) 237–248.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Unsteady CFD with Heat and Mass Transfer Simulation of Solar Adsorption Cooling System for Optimal Design and Performance, Book Chapter In Advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics for Emerging Engineering Processes – Eulerian vs. Lagrangian, A.S. Kim, Ed.; IntechOpen Ltd. 2018.
- M. Longo, F. Foiadelli, W. Yaïci, Electric Vehicles Integrated with Renewable Energy Sources for Sustainable Mobility, Book Chapter in New Trends in Electrical Vehicle Powertrains - Reliability and Resilience, L. Remearal Martinez, M. Delgado Prieto, Eds. IntechOpen Ltd. 2018.
- N. Chowdhury, C.A. Hossain, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, Optimization of Solar Energy System for the Electric Vehicle at University Campus in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Energies 11 (2018) 2433.
- C.A. Hossain, N. Chowdhury, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, System and Cost Analysis of Stand-Alone Solar Home System Applied to a Developing Country, Sustainability 11 (2019) 1403.
- F. Foiadelli, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, Simulation and Optimization Study of the Integration of Distributed Generation and Electric Vehicles in Smart Residential District, International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, April 2019.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Unsteady CFD with Heat and Mass Transfer Simulation of Solar Adsorption Cooling System for Optimal Design and Performance, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 144 (2019) 118648.
- M. Longo, W. Yaïci F. Foiadelli, Hybrid Renewable Energy System with Storage for Electrification - Case Study of Remote Northern Community in Canada, International Journal of Smart Grid 3 (2019).
- D. De Marco, A. Dolara, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, Design and Performance Analysis of Pads for Dynamic Wireless Charging of EVs using the Finite Element Method, Energies 12(21) (2019) 4139.
- G. Ciampi, A. Rosato, S. Sibilio, E. Entchev, W. Yaici, Parametric Analysis of Solar Heating and Cooling Systems for Residential Applications, Heat Transfer Engineering 41 (2020) 1052-1074.
- A. Hossain, N. Chowdhury, M. Longo; W. Yaïci, Feasibility and Cost Analysis of Photovoltaic- Biomass Hybrid Energy System in Off-Grid Areas of Bangladesh, Sustainability 12(4) (2020) 1568.
- M. Brenna, A. Corradi, F. Foiadelli, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, Numerical Simulation Analysis of the Impact of Photovoltaic Systems and Energy Storage Technologies on Centralised Generation: A Case Study for Australia, International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering 11 (2020) 9–31.
- A. Stabile, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, F. Foiadelli, An Algorithm for Optimization of Recharging Stops: A Case Study of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations on Canadian’s Ontario Highway 401, Energies 13 (2020) 2055.
- R. Garruto, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, F. Foiadelli, Connecting Parking Facilities to the Electric Grid: A Vehicle-to-Grid Feasibility Study in a Railway Station’s Car Park, Energies 13 (2020) 3083.
- E. Mancini, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, D. Zaninelli, Assessment of the Impact of Electric Vehicles on the Design and Effectiveness of Electric Distribution Grid with Distributed Generation, Applied Sciences 10 (2020).
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, P. Talebizadeh Sardari, M. Longo, Recent Developments of Combined Heat Pump and Organic Rankine Cycle Energy Systems for Buildings, Book Chapter in Product Design, C. Alexandru, Ed. IntechOpen 2020 DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.93130.
List of Conference Papers
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, K. Lombardi, Experimental and simulation study on a solar domestic hot water system with flat-plate collectors for the Canadian climatic conditions, Proceedings of the ASME 2012 6th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, ES2012-91295, July 23-26, 2012, San Diego, CA, USA.
- W. Yaïci, M. Ghorab, E. Entchev, Numerical Simulation of the Effect of Inlet Design on Thermal Storage Tank Performance Using CFD, Poster Presentation, Proceedings of the 2013 COMSOL Conference, October 9-11, 2013, Boston, MA, USA.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Prediction of the performance of a solar thermal energy system using adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system, 3rd International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, IEEE Conference Publication, Paper ID 194, Pages: 601 - 604, DOI 10.1109/ICRERA.2014.7016455, 19-22 October 2014, Milwaukee, USA.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, M. Longo, M. Brenna, F. Foiadelli, Artificial Neural Network Modelling for Performance Prediction of Solar Energy System, 5th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, IEEE Conference Publication, Paper ID 329, Pages: 1147 - 1151, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/ICRERA.2015.7418589, 22-25 November 2015, Palermo, Italy.
- M. Brenna, F. Foiadelli, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, GEM green energy and mobility: The case of Canada and Italy, Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC), 2015 IEEE 15th International Conference, Year: 2015, Pages: 519-524.
- S. Sibilio, G. Ciampi, A. Rosato, E. Entchev, W. Yaici, Parametric Analysis of a Solar Heating and Cooling System for an Italian Multi-Family House, Proceedings in the 10th AIGE 2016 and 1st AIGE/IIETA International Conference on "Energy Conversion, Management, Recovery, Saving, Storage and Renewable Systems" Napoli (Italy) 9-10 June 2016.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev Coupled Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) And Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) For Prediction of Thermal-hydraulic Performance of Plate-fin-tube Heat Exchangers, proceedings of the 2016 COMSOL Conference, October 5-7, 2016, Boston, MA, USA.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, J. Ranisau, Coupled 3D Unsteady CFD, Heat and Mass Transfer Simulations of Solar Adsorption Cooling System Proceedings of the 2017 COMSOL Conference, October 4-6, 2017, Boston, MA, USA.
- M. Brenna, M. Longo, W. Yaici, T.D. Abegaz, Simulation and Optimization of Integration of Hybrid Renewable Energy Sources and Storages for Remote Communities Electrification Proceedings of the 2017 7th IEEE International Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (IEEE PES ISGT Europe 2017) Track 1 Conference, September 26-29, 2017, Torino, Italy.
- M. Longo, W. Yaici, F. Foiadelli, Electric Vehicles Charged with Residential’s Roof Solar Photovoltaic System: A Case Study in Ottawa, 6th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, IEEE Conference Publication, Paper ID 47, 2017, 5-9 November 2017, San Diego, CA, USA.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, M. Longo, Performance Analysis of Regenerative Organic Rankine Cycle System for Solar Micro Combined Heat and Power Generation Applications, Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE 7th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, 14-17 October 2018, Paris, France; doi: 10.1109/ICRERA.2018.8566826.
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, 3D Unsteady CFD Simulations of Heat and Mass Transfer with Chemical Reaction of Seasonal Solar Thermochemical Heat Storage System for Buildings, Proceedings of the 2018 COMSOL Conference, October 2018, Boston, MA, USA.
- M. Longo, W. Yaici, F. Foiadelli, M. Bottari, Next Generation of Recharge Types for Electric Buses, Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Conference on Electrical Systems for Aircraft, Railway, Ship Propulsion and Road Vehicles & International Transportation Electrification Conference (ESARS-ITEC), 7-9 November 2018, Nottingham, UK; doi: 10.1109/ESARS-ITEC.2018.8607618
- W. Yaïci, E. Entchev, Thermodynamic and Performance Study of Solar Regenerative Organic Rankine Cycle System for Use in Residential Micro-Combined Heat and Power Generation, Proceedings of the ASME 13th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, July 2019, Bellevue, WA, USA, doi: 10.1115/ES2019-3832
- W. Yaïci, L. Kouchachvili, E. Entchev, M. Longo, Dynamic Simulation of Battery/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System for the Electric Vehicles, IEEE 8th International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), November 2019, Brasov, Romania; doi: 10.1109/ICRERA47325.2019.8996509
- D. De Marco, A. Dolara, M. Longo, W. Yaïci, State of the Art on Modelling Inductive Power Transfer for Evs, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), June 2019, Otranto, Italy, doi: 10.1109/ICCEP.2019.8890072
- M. Brenna, F. Foiadelli, M. Longo, W. Yaici, Infrastructuring of Canadian Transport using Hydrogen from RES: Comparison between BEV and FCV, Proceedings of the IEEE PowerTech, May 2019, Milan, Italy, doi: 10.1109/ICCEP.2019.8890072
- W. Yaïci, K. Krishnamurthy, E. Entchev and M. Longo, Survey of Internet of Things (IoT) Infrastructures for Building Energy Systems, 2020 Global Internet of Things Summit (GIoTS), Virtual (Dublin, Ireland), 2020, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/GIOTS49054.2020.9119669.
Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and IEEE-Power & Energy Society (IEEE-PES)
Member of the Executive Committee of Research-subgroup, NRCan, National Capital Region (NCR), Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (PIPSC)