Dr. Thomas Reid
I am a Research Scientist interested in sediment dynamics, and the biogeochemical processes governing soils and sediments. I use high throughput sequencing to understand the community structure and function of bacteria and archaea in both contaminated and natural aquatic ecosystems. In augmentation with advanced geochemical approaches, we can work to understand the microbial vectors cycling nutrients, metals, PAHs and other compounds through the environment. Using dynamic rainfall and erosion simulations, we can bring ourselves closer to the mechanisms governing natural hydrodynamic ecosystems, making detailed observations surrounding the convergence of land and water, and the holistic processes governing the world around us.
- [Submitted] T. Reid, I.G. Droppo, C.G. Weisener. 2019. Tracking Functional Bacterial Biomarkers in Response to a Gradietns of Contaminant Exposure within a River Continuum. Water Research [WR50510]
- [In Press] N. Falk, T. Reid, A. Skoyles, A. Grgicak-Mannion, K. Drouillard, and C.G. Weisener. 2019. Microbial Metatranscriptomic Investigations Across Contaminant Gradients of the Detroit River. STOTEN
- T. Reid, I.G. Droppo, S.R. Chaganti, C.G. Weisener, 2019. Microbial metabolic strategies for overcoming low-oxygen in naturalized freshwater reservoirs surrounding the Athabasca Oil Sands: A proxy for End-Pit Lakes? Sci. Total Environ. 665, 113–124.
- T. Reid, S. Chaganti, I.G. Droppo, C.G. Weisener. 2018. Novel insights into freshwater hydrocarbon-rich sediments using metatranscriptomics: opening the black box. Water Research, (136) pp.1-11.
- C. Weisener & T. Reid. 2017. Combined imaging and molecular techniques for evaluating microbial function and composition: A review. Surf. And Int. Analysis., (49) pp.1416-1421.
- C. Weisener, J. Lee, S.R. Chaganti, T. Reid, N. Falk, K. Drouillard. 2017. Investigating sources and sinks of N2O expression from freshwater microbial communities in urban watershed sediments. Chemosphere, (188) pp.697-705.
- D. VanMensel, S.R. Chaganti, R. Boudens, T. Reid, J.H. Ciborowski C.G. Weisener. 2017. Novel treatment for stimulating microbial degradation in oil sands fluid fine tailings: A metagenomic perspective. Environmental Microbiology, (74) pp.362-372.
- T. Reid, D. VanMensel, I.G. Droppo, C.G. Weisener. 2016. The symbiotic relationship of sediment and biofilm dynamics at the sediment water interface of oil sands industrial tailings ponds. Water Research. (100) pp.337-347.
- T. Reid, R. Boudens, D. VanMensel, J.H. Ciborowski, C.G. Weisener. 2016. Physicochemical gradients, diffusive flux, and sediment oxygen demand within oil sands tailings materials from Alberta, Canada. Applied Geochemistry, (75) pp.90-99.
- R. Boudens, T. Reid, D. VanMensel, S. Prakasan M.R., J.H. Ciborowski, C.G. Weisener. 2016. Bio-physicochemical effects of gamma irradiation treatment for naphthenic acids in oil sands fluid fine tailings. Sci. & Total Env., (539) pp.114-124.